Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

H48

Star Member
Oct 9, 2020
Hi Jessica,

I'm currently working on an application to Anderson Strathern, and I'm unsure how to tackle a few of the questions. They appear to have two different "why us/why you" questions, with one reading "Why have you chosen to apply to Anderson Strathern? (100 words)" and the other reading "What contribution do you think you would make to Anderson Strathern if appointed? In your response, please consider potential business generation, innovation and entrepreneurial input (200 words)."

What approach would you recommend taking to each question? I was thinking along the lines of not making the first question too personal, and 'saving' my personal skills/attributes/experience which make me a good fit for the firm for the second question. However, if I don't link the first question back to my own skills and attributes, could I risk 'deal dropping' and sounding as if I've just regurgitated the firm's website?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I'm currently working on an application to Anderson Strathern, and I'm unsure how to tackle a few of the questions. They appear to have two different "why us/why you" questions, with one reading "Why have you chosen to apply to Anderson Strathern? (100 words)" and the other reading "What contribution do you think you would make to Anderson Strathern if appointed? In your response, please consider potential business generation, innovation and entrepreneurial input (200 words)."

What approach would you recommend taking to each question? I was thinking along the lines of not making the first question too personal, and 'saving' my personal skills/attributes/experience which make me a good fit for the firm for the second question. However, if I don't link the first question back to my own skills and attributes, could I risk 'deal dropping' and sounding as if I've just regurgitated the firm's website?

Thanks in advance for your help!

To me they are very different questions. The first is why the firm, the second one is just a twist on why you.

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Hi Jessica, how competitive are open days compared to vacation schemes? Is getting on an open day (and doing well) any indication of a VS interview or that grades and work experience are at least passable?
In my experience its much easier to get on a open day than a vacation scheme, especially this year when they can host more people virtually. However I could be wrong (maybe my open day applications are much better lol)

Reactions: Numerius Negidius

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
Aug 8, 2020
In my experience its much easier to get on a open day than a vacation scheme, especially this year when they can host more people virtually. However I could be wrong (maybe my open day applications are much better lol)

Exactly, my fear is that I'm wasting my time attending open days at firms where I don't have a realistic shot, especially since a number of them seem to have hundreds of open day spots (looking at you Baker McKenzie with 7 or 8 open days).

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Exactly, my fear is that I'm wasting my time attending open days at firms where I don't have a realistic shot, especially since a number of them seem to have hundreds of open day spots (looking at you Baker McKenzie with 7 or 8 open days).
I don't think its a waste of time at all! having that extra information to tailor your application with can really make all the difference and shows dedication to the firm.

Reactions: Zoo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, how competitive are open days compared to vacation schemes? Is getting on an open day (and doing well) any indication of a VS interview or that grades and work experience are at least passable?

there is no set precedent on this. Depends on the firm, the open day, how many events they run, what range of people are eligible, even the date it runs can make it more or less competitive.

I don’t think securing an open day is a good indication of whether your vacation scheme application will also be successful. The things you are looking for in an open day candidate compares to a vacation scheme can be quite different.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

You’ll application will be stronger with one than without them in most instances though.

Reactions: Numerius Negidius

Alexa.159

Jul 3, 2020
Hi Jessica. For this question (Macfarlanes):
On this page please give details of time spent out of education or work, for example time spent overseas.
Is this a chance to write about extracurricular you've not written about? Mainly I'd write about online webinars and InsideSherpa as the rest of my extracurriculars I covered in the application. The application itself is very extracurricular based so that's why I'm not sure too? Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica. For this question (Macfarlanes):
On this page please give details of time spent out of education or work, for example time spent overseas.
Is this a chance to write about extracurricular you've not written about? Mainly I'd write about online webinars and InsideSherpa as the rest of my extracurriculars I covered in the application. The application itself is very extracurricular based so that's why I'm not sure too? Thanks.

no, not extra curriculars generally - it’s there to talk about any gaps between education or working and what you did with that time.

So any online courses/InsideSherpa courses will only be relevant if you have had a gap year or if you have been out of education/employment.

Reactions: Alexa.159

futureTS2025hopeful

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Hi Jessica!

Thanks for all your help. Do you think it is worth mentioning in your cover letter/CV that you have attended Virtual events ran by firms (e.g attending a virtual law fair or Legal Cheek event) and/or name-dropping people? Or are attending virtual events expected/not necessary to mention since so many people presumably would be there?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica!

Thanks for all your help. Do you think it is worth mentioning in your cover letter/CV that you have attended Virtual events ran by firms (e.g attending a virtual law fair or Legal Cheek event) and/or name-dropping people? Or are attending virtual events expected/not necessary to mention since so many people presumably would be there?

Thanks!

Law fairs - no - tens of thousands of people attend careers fairs each year. It really doesn’t show much by saying you attended it. Sometimes people will reference conversations they have had at these events, and that can be ok if done well.

Specific online events that might be on a particular topic are slightly different. Just make sure they are relevant to the firm you are applying to.

Most people name drop thinking it proves something, ticks a box, or gives your application an advantage. So it’s often done in an incredibly superficial manner which just screams “I am just saying this in the hope you think it makes my application better”.

You might want to read some of the posts that follow on from this post about name dropping to see what Jaysen and I think about it

Name dropping

• ℹ️
  • Dislike
Reactions: pinnip and Adam Gilchrist

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hope you are doing well. Had a question which might come across as weird but I'll go ahead anyway. I feel I don't have enough experiences to answer the "When was a time when you ..." questions each time with a new experience. I had a lot planned up but COVID ruined those plans. So my question to you is, which is better: drawing out numerous competencies from a single experience or choosing experiences that happened way back (after school but in the early days of university).
Thank You.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hope you are doing well. Had a question which might come across as weird but I'll go ahead anyway. I feel I don't have enough experiences to answer the "When was a time when you ..." questions each time with a new experience. I had a lot planned up but COVID ruined those plans. So my question to you is, which is better: drawing out numerous competencies from a single experience or choosing experiences that happened way back (after school but in the early days of university).
Thank You.

Generally more examples the better. It is fine if occasionally you use the same example for 2 competency questions, but I’d try to avoid it where you can.

Generally anything in the last three years is fair game. If you have exceptional examples that are older than 3 years, you could still use them though (but you might only want to do this once in an application/in an interview).

Hatikulli

Nov 23, 2019
Hey @Jessica Booker

I hope you are doing well and keeping safe.
I wanted to ask you a quick question.

I was successful last year to get a vacation scheme but wasn't offered a TC. I will be applying again and I realised the firm is asking very similar questions on its application form to last years questions. Is it okay to put the same answers to those questions or need to change them? (one example would be 'what are your main hobbies' question)?

Thank you :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey @Jessica Booker

I hope you are doing well and keeping safe.
I wanted to ask you a quick question.

I was successful last year to get a vacation scheme but wasn't offered a TC. I will be applying again and I realised the firm is asking very similar questions on its application form to last years questions. Is it okay to put the same answers to those questions or need to change them? (one example would be 'what are your main hobbies' question)?

Thank you :)

The main hobbies one is fine to keep, but you do need to update your application more generally. If it looks like your application hasn’t changed, there is little rationale in bringing someone through again, as nothing has changed since they were unsuccessful.

I would expect your experience on the vacation scheme alone will have honed your career motivation and skill set, and that you will have done other things over the last year that will also have developed those two things

Joe R

Standard Member
Dec 3, 2018
Hi Jessica,

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, apologies if so but i can't find it!

I have an interview coming up for a vac scheme and the app covered why law, why the firm and a few competencies.

It seems like from past interview experiences that these questions are often asked again at interview- is it ok to broadly repeat the same answer you gave on the application? should you try to vary it?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, apologies if so but i can't find it!

I have an interview coming up for a vac scheme and the app covered why law, why the firm and a few competencies.

It seems like from past interview experiences that these questions are often asked again at interview- is it ok to broadly repeat the same answer you gave on the application? should you try to vary it?

Thanks!

It's typically expected that you will go into more depth than what is said in your application. Your interview will be pretty short if you just say what is in your application - you will be expected to develop your answers so there is more depth to them.

Lisa Lowe

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 26, 2019
Hi Jessica (and everyone else who contributes to this thread - it's great),

I have seen a lot of open day applications word questions such as 'why do want to attend this open day and what do you hope to gain from the experience (400 words)'.

Ultimately, I want to attend the open day to find out more about the firm before submitting a TC application.

However, I struggle to expand upon this. Should I pick 3/4 USP of the firm, outline the ways in which my interests/career ambitions align to this and conclude each point by essentially saying I want to find out more about this.

Lisa

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica (and everyone else who contributes to this thread - it's great),

I have seen a lot of open day applications word questions such as 'why do want to attend this open day and what do you hope to gain from the experience (400 words)'.

Ultimately, I want to attend the open day to find out more about the firm before submitting a TC application.

However, I struggle to expand upon this. Should I pick 3/4 USP of the firm, outline the ways in which my interests/career ambitions align to this and conclude each point by essentially saying I want to find out more about this.

Lisa

No - that's not what it is asking you to do

You should just be more specific in what you particualy want to find out more about the firm before submitting a TC application. That might be finding out more about the practicalities of the USPs you have identifed.

Reactions: Lisa Lowe

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.