Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hey, thanks for the tips but I've already had to use my post-grad loan (you only get to access it once) to do an LLM version of the GDL. So pretty much need to self-fund the whole thing!
    Hmm, I see the dilemma.

I'd still do the research, and I guess I'd do some lists - pros/cons, etc. This is a marathon, not a sprint, and you could even consider the SQE instead. Some firms (eg Mishcon de Reya) are already embracing it, and it is coming whether we like it or not! Would you be able to do the LPC part-time at a preferred provider? No courses are actually cheap, and again I'd ask you to ask yourself, which one is going to make me a better lawyer? Could you go onto the Student Room forum and find some LPC alumni? When I was researching my GDL, I looked mainly at U Westminster, BPP and U Law. The first had a totally chaotic open evening; the second had lots of alumni who didn't recommend it. I plumped for U Law - far from perfect but the best of the bunch, for me.

If you can work part time, you may find that the two years fly by. If you start paralegalling, you will be gaining SQE-valid experience anyway.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hmm, I see the dilemma.

I'd still do the research, and I guess I'd do some lists - pros/cons, etc. This is a marathon, not a sprint, and you could even consider the SQE instead. Some firms (eg Mishcon de Reya) are already embracing it, and it is coming whether we like it or not! Would you be able to do the LPC part-time at a preferred provider? No courses are actually cheap, and again I'd ask you to ask yourself, which one is going to make me a better lawyer? Could you go onto the Student Room forum and find some LPC alumni? When I was researching my GDL, I looked mainly at U Westminster, BPP and U Law. The first had a totally chaotic open evening; the second had lots of alumni who didn't recommend it. I plumped for U Law - far from perfect but the best of the bunch, for me.

If you can work part time, you may find that the two years fly by. If you start paralegalling, you will be gaining SQE-valid experience anyway.

To be frank about it, no LPC course makes you a better lawyer.

If you were to go the SQE route, there would make no sense in doing the LPC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica

I was wondering what your view is on using bullet points in the "Work Experience" section of TC/VS applications? I have noticed a couple of firms have said not to use them (ones I am not applying to). My current method has been to introduce the experience and a significant impact I made in full sentences, then list the key responsibilities and skills developed in bullet points.

Would you recommend to remove all bullet points, and use full sentences throughout?

Thanks

If the form allows to you to format bullet points (like this forum does), then use them.

If it is just a free text box with no formatting, then I would go with full sentences.

Attachments

• bullet point image.PNG
      bullet point image.PNG
      21.9 KB · Views: 12

JW

Star Member
    Mar 17, 2020
    Hi Jessica

I am currently completing my application for TLT's vacation scheme and the platform they use is one I have not come across before. There are two brief sections for career history and education history. Should I include work experience in the career's history section? Also, rather than just the month and year it asks for exact start dates and finish dates, how should I go about this if I am unable to remember the exact dates of some entries?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica

I am currently completing my application for TLT's vacation scheme and the platform they use is one I have not come across before. There are two brief sections for career history and education history. Should I include work experience in the career's history section? Also, rather than just the month and year it asks for exact start dates and finish dates, how should I go about this if I am unable to remember the exact dates of some entries?

Thank you!

yes - work experience in the career history section, it’s just another name for it.

I’d spend time trying to work out the exact dates if you can. It can be important for on boarding checks. If the experience is over 6 months long, then just put the first of the month or the nearest date you think it started/ended. If it is a shorter placement that you can’t work the dates out for, then in the description make sure you are clear how long it was for, just in case (eg four week internship, 2 day insight programme, 4 month placement).

• ℹ️
    Reactions: JW

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I meant is there a specific structure for the NRF cover letter, or just the usual: why law, why us, why me?

Also who should I address the cover letter to?

Thanks in advance

Unless it’s covered in other sections of the application, then why the firm, why the opportunity, why you (those three things can be in any order though).

Law careers.net says the following (attached)

Attachments

• D6E788A2-0F54-483A-B7DA-0479288866C3.jpeg
      D6E788A2-0F54-483A-B7DA-0479288866C3.jpeg
      375.6 KB · Views: 37
    Reactions: Dwight

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hi jessica, i am preparing for a VS interview and i was wondering what recruiters or partners expect from students whey they ask us to introduce ourselves. thanks in advance for your help :)

Consider it like an elevator pitch. It’s just a question to settle you in to the interview and see if you can communicate in a concise but engaging manner.

Reactions: florence1023

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Hi Jessica, I was wondering how to write about insight days in work experience sections. I have around 6 insights days on my CV but usually bunch them together in one input with only a line describing each day. I was wondering if I should split them into two inputs and describe them a little more or keep them in one input?

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hi!
    I am struggling a bit to incorporate some of my experience within my applications. I did an internship at a commercial bank this summer and am unsure of how to mention it and how it could link to law. I am very conscious of coming across as if I would actually prefer a career in banking (100% not the case) and don’t know how wise it is to mention it despite it being one of my more substantial and professional experiences. Any advice (from anyone) would be great! Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, I was wondering how to write about insight days in work experience sections. I have around 6 insights days on my CV but usually bunch them together in one input with only a line describing each day. I was wondering if I should split them into two inputs and describe them a little more or keep them in one input?

I’d go with how you have it currently. Splitting them out seems a bit excessive for 6 insight/open days.

Reactions: 33c

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi!
    I am struggling a bit to incorporate some of my experience within my applications. I did an internship at a commercial bank this summer and am unsure of how to mention it and how it could link to law. I am very conscious of coming across as if I would actually prefer a career in banking (100% not the case) and don’t know how wise it is to mention it despite it being one of my more substantial and professional experiences. Any advice (from anyone) would be great! Thanks!

you don’t have to link it to law. Just focus the description of what your responsibilities were and what your impact was.

Deal with any aspects of why you are not pursuing that career in your why commercial law/why a trainee section.

Reactions: Legal_rawn

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hi Jessica,

I'm currently writing an app for a firm and I'm stuck on how to approach the last question which is 'what does it means to be a professional?' I've never come across this type of question before.

I have identified three qualities that I believe all professionals should have (competence, honesty/respect for clients and personal accountability/responsibility) but I'm not sure whether the question is asking me just to talk about these qualities, or whether it implicitly wants me to link those qualities back to my own experiences in some way.

On one hand, it doesn't expressly say 'give examples of times you have demonstrated your professionalism' or some other variant of that, but on the other, I can't help but think that by just talking about the qualities and not linking it back to myself it will just degrade into spouting jargon that doesn't really mean anything.

What do you think?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I'm currently writing an app for a firm and I'm stuck on how to approach the last question which is 'what does it means to be a professional?' I've never come across this type of question before.

I have identified three qualities that I believe all professionals should have (competence, honesty/respect for clients and personal accountability/responsibility) but I'm not sure whether the question is asking me just to talk about these qualities, or whether it implicitly wants me to link those qualities back to my own experiences in some way.

On one hand, it doesn't expressly say 'give examples of times you have demonstrated your professionalism' or some other variant of that, but on the other, I can't help but think that by just talking about the qualities and not linking it back to myself it will just degrade into spouting jargon that doesn't really mean anything.

What do you think?

What’s the word count/limit?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.