General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
Aug 26, 2020
@Jessica Booker or anyone else who knows, can I use two academic referees for my application or does it have to be one academic and one professional? I am applying for Akin Gump and it specifically asks for the first reference to be academic, the second says 'company/organisation referee'. Can that organisation be a university?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker or anyone else who knows, can I use two academic referees for my application or does it have to be one academic and one professional? I am applying for Akin Gump and it specifically asks for the first reference to be academic, the second says 'company/organisation referee'. Can that organisation be a university?

no - will need to be an employer or someone who can verify work experience

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
Aug 26, 2020
no - will need to be an employer or someone who can verify work experience

Sorry, one more question please. Am I right to assume that I can't use my best friend as a referee? He was my co-worker when I worked at a retail store and he is now the manager of the store, and so he can verify my work experience, but I am guessing him being my close friend will be a problem.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Not my case, but out of curiosity - what happens when one has no work experience to speak of but is asked to provide an ‘employer’ referee? Does that mean you cannot even apply if you don’t have any WE?

I’ll be frank if you have absolutely no work experience (part time job, volunteering, work experience etc) your application is unlikely to be successful and the need for the reference becomes a bit of a moot point

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry, one more question please. Am I right to assume that I can't use my best friend as a referee? He was my co-worker when I worked at a retail store and he is now the manager of the store, and so he can verify my work experience, but I am guessing him being my close friend will be a problem.

no - you can’t use a friend - at best they would have needed to be the store manager when you worked there, not one now.

If it is a retail store, the company is likely to have a policy that references are provided centrally by HR anyway.

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Anyone have any insights on the Simmons written exercise? I know its a response to an article but will it be a commercial article where I need to bring in my own commercial awareness? should I still use headings/ strong structure like any other written exercise?

Reactions: NadineBusty

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    hey has anyone heard back open day wise from taylor wessing, dechert, dentons? I applied for denton's mk open day so not until dec 1st, but curious about around what time they send out invites or rejections - has anyone applied for an early one and heard anything? (i also applied for vs so if anyones heard anything about that?)

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    hey has anyone heard back open day wise from taylor wessing, dechert, dentons? I applied for denton's mk open day so not until dec 1st, but curious about around what time they send out invites or rejections - has anyone applied for an early one and heard anything? (i also applied for vs so if anyones heard anything about that?)
    Ive applied to dechert and dentons- yet to hear back! Been to a couple of other ODs this cycle and they seem to be sending out invites very close to the date, esp considering they are online. Im not expecting to hear back until at least a week before the event itself :)

Reactions: Kablahc

Penelope

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    I was invited to the first Taylor Wessing open day last week

Reactions: Kablahc

Esteemed Member
    Dec 15, 2018
    Has anyone taken the Foot Anstey interview, what questions were you asked? I have an interview tomorrow. I have been told competency and strength based questions will not be asked. Any help would be appreciated!

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Ive applied to dechert and dentons- yet to hear back! Been to a couple of other ODs this cycle and they seem to be sending out invites very close to the date, esp considering they are online. Im not expecting to hear back until at least a week before the event itself :)

I was invited to the first Taylor Wessing open day last week

oh awesome thank you very much you guys, hope to see you there if we've applied to any of the same:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.