Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Hello Jessica! I am an Italian law student who in March got offered an Interview for a TC by an American Law Firm (based in London). This was the email that the GR sent me: "However we are conscious you are studying in Italy at the moment so I’m afraid we aren’t able to invite you to our Open Days due to the travel restrictions that are impacting northern Italy because of the coronavirus outbreak. I would therefore like to invite you to take part in our direct training contract process later this year – I’m afraid I can’t guarantee when that will be however I will, of course, keep you updated. (03/2020)" A few days later I received another email: "We have actually just taken the decision to postpone our open days completely due to the Covid-19 outbreak across the UK and Europe so we will be in touch with all applicants shortly about alternative assessments. (03/2020)". Now the point is that I never heard back again form her and the new application cycle is already started. I feel like after a big effort I have nothing in my hands. What do you think should I do? Write her an email? Or do another application?. During this summer I also had the opportunity to do an internship at the Firm's Milan office and for other reasons, I became a stronger candidate but if there is the possibility to avoid doing the application for the second time I would prefer it. Sorry for the length of the message, I thank you in advance and wish you a good afternoon and good work.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello Jessica! I am an Italian law student who in March got offered an Interview for a TC by an American Law Firm (based in London). This was the email that the GR sent me: "However we are conscious you are studying in Italy at the moment so I’m afraid we aren’t able to invite you to our Open Days due to the travel restrictions that are impacting northern Italy because of the coronavirus outbreak. I would therefore like to invite you to take part in our direct training contract process later this year – I’m afraid I can’t guarantee when that will be however I will, of course, keep you updated. (03/2020)" A few days later I received another email: "We have actually just taken the decision to postpone our open days completely due to the Covid-19 outbreak across the UK and Europe so we will be in touch with all applicants shortly about alternative assessments. (03/2020)". Now the point is that I never heard back again form her and the new application cycle is already started. I feel like after a big effort I have nothing in my hands. What do you think should I do? Write her an email? Or do another application?. During this summer I also had the opportunity to do an internship at the Firm's Milan office and for other reasons, I became a stronger candidate but if there is the possibility to avoid doing the application for the second time I would prefer it. Sorry for the length of the message, I thank you in advance and wish you a good afternoon and good work.

I am a bit confused - an open day wouldn't be an interview for a training contract, just an opportunity to meet the firm.

You should email them back though, reminding them about the correspondence in March and whether there is now an opportunity to "pick up" that process from where it was left, and/or whether you should reapply to an appropriate programme.

I am a bit confused - an open day wouldn't be an interview for a training contract, just an opportunity to meet the firm.

You should email them back though, reminding them about the correspondence in March and whether there is now an opportunity to "pick up" that process from where it was left, and/or whether you should reapply to an appropriate programme.

Thank you, Jessica! The application is the same both for the Open Day and the TC. I applied for the Open Day but they proposed to me "to take part in our direct training contract process later this year". I will email them asking if there is still an opportunity to "pick up" that process from where it was left or if I have to apply again.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

I'm assuming this is a US firm that runs its 'open day' similar to an assessment day? I'd definitely send them an email first before sending another application.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Personally, I prefer the singular form for companies/law firms, but I do see varied use. I'm sure this isn't something graduate recruitment will mark you down for.

@Jessica Booker @Alice G might also have some thoughts on this.
    My approach has always been to use the singular and refer to the firm as 'it' etc. It was my personal preference and what I felt worked for me :)

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    Skadden's open day application form just asks 'why do you want to attend this open day' and then gives a box similar to one you'd put your name in. There is no word limit and no way of adding paragraphs etc. How much do you think they are looking for given this format? Is it one sentence or more like 100 words?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Skadden's open day application form just asks 'why do you want to attend this open day' and then gives a box similar to one you'd put your name in. There is no word limit and no way of adding paragraphs etc. How much do you think they are looking for given this format? Is it one sentence or more like 100 words?

Anything up to 300 words sounds ok.

Reactions: Legal_rawn

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Where did you find the open day application? I couldn't find one on the website by I'm really keen to find out more about the firm!

Joe R

Standard Member
    Dec 3, 2018
    Hi Jessica, thanks for all your helpful answers on this thread, its great!

I have an assessment day coming up and I was thinking about my answer to the "greatest weakness" question.

I did a personality test for the firm and it identified an area that was less strong than the others out of the 4 competencies / traits it assessed. Is it a good idea to link your answer to your greatest weakness to this test?

Or should you pick something that is not one of the four qualities they are looking for? I am a bit worried about saying my greatest weakness is leadership if that is one of the key competencies they are looking for!

Thanks again!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, thanks for all your helpful answers on this thread, its great!

I have an assessment day coming up and I was thinking about my answer to the "greatest weakness" question.

I did a personality test for the firm and it identified an area that was less strong than the others out of the 4 competencies / traits it assessed. Is it a good idea to link your answer to your greatest weakness to this test?

Or should you pick something that is not one of the four qualities they are looking for? I am a bit worried about saying my greatest weakness is leadership if that is one of the key competencies they are looking for!

Thanks again!

It isn't necessary to do ether. I would honestly answer the question - I am sure there could be a whole lot of things not necessarily even measured/assessed by the test.

It isn't really about what the weakness is, more what you are doing to work on it or compensate for it.

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    What do you find attractive about Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner’s sectors/ departments and which area(s) are you interested in having exposure to in your Training Contract and why? (500)

I have answered the first part of the question and am happy with that, but not sure how to approach second part: which area(s) are you interested in having exposure to in your Training Contract and why?

Thanks in advance

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.