Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What do you find attractive about Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner’s sectors/ departments and which area(s) are you interested in having exposure to in your Training Contract and why? (500)

I have answered the first part of the question and am happy with that, but not sure how to approach second part: which area(s) are you interested in having exposure to in your Training Contract and why?

Thanks in advance

It’s just trying to understand whether you know the training contract structure and to see if you understand which areas are likely to happen during a TC, and how that aligns you your interests

Reactions: Dwight

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
It’s just trying to understand whether you know the training contract structure and to see if you understand which areas are likely to happen during a TC, and how that aligns you your interests

Ok I understand - cheers!

I am interested in 3 main practice areas which they operate in, one of which they are not too strong at and not likely to happen during the TC. Should I then only talk about the other 2?

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
Aug 8, 2020
Hi Jessica, Jones Day has an Extra Curricular Activities section with two questions:
  • Please give a brief summary of any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements gained at School, University, Law School or in employment. (100)
  • Please give a brief summary of any activities you've been involved in outside academic study or work over the last four years. (100)
What would be the difference between "positions of responsibility" in the first question and the "activities" in the second question?

Would it be appropriate to answer in bullet points?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, Jones Day has an Extra Curricular Activities section with two questions:
  • Please give a brief summary of any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements gained at School, University, Law School or in employment. (100)
  • Please give a brief summary of any activities you've been involved in outside academic study or work over the last four years. (100)
What would be the difference between "positions of responsibility" in the first question and the "activities" in the second question?

Would it be appropriate to answer in bullet points?

Example:

PoR in first question - Student Representative for your course (in academia)

PoR in second question - Captain of your University Netball team (not in academia)

Bullet points might be suitable depending on how much you have to talk about.

Reactions: Numerius Negidius

gg332dd

Valued Member
Apr 2, 2020
Hi Jessica,

I applied for a vacation scheme with this firm last month. But since then, I've had updates regarding work/academics and tried to inform the firm as I can't edit my application, however they haven't responded to any of my emails.

The deadline is Sunday and they recruit on a rolling basis. Is it worth withdrawing my application and submitting a new, up-to-date application?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I applied for a vacation scheme with this firm last month. But since then, I've had updates regarding work/academics and tried to inform the firm as I can't edit my application, however they haven't responded to any of my emails.

The deadline is Sunday and they recruit on a rolling basis. Is it worth withdrawing my application and submitting a new, up-to-date application?

no - double applications aren’t a good idea.

Many firms won’t allow you to update your application unfortunately. If you have contacted the firm already you have done as much as you can.

j2134

Star Member
May 6, 2020
Hi Jessica!

I just did a Watson Glaser Test and as soon as I pressed start a digger starting going off in the street below me (facepalm). It was pretty distracting. I got my result back and it was 59, whilst I don't think I am that good at them i have been getting better than this in the past. Should I contact gradrec about this or just leave it? Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica!

I just did a Watson Glaser Test and as soon as I pressed start a digger starting going off in the street below me (facepalm). It was pretty distracting. I got my result back and it was 59, whilst I don't think I am that good at them i have been getting better than this in the past. Should I contact gradrec about this or just leave it? Thanks

You could ask them to reset it, but I think this score will be more than sufficient anyway, particuarly given what others have said in the forum about their benchmark.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah this is what I thought. They said in an email that the benchmark is 18, which seems very low. Thanks.

It might be a tough norm group you are being assessed against. Also sometimes this tests have adverse impact against certain groups of people if the benchmark is set too high and so firms will stick to a fairly low benchmark to ensure they are getting diverse candidates through to the next stage

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Makes sense. I thought these test were to filter out candidates before reading and did wonder how that was compatible with contextual recruitment. Good to know, thanks.

Firms tend to use them in different ways. Some don't really use them as a filter as such, but may rreview them against other information on your application almost as a way of verifying ability. Even a low percentile score might not mean most people are getting through though - it could just be that they are benchmarking you against the strongest legal minds in the world.

• ℹ️
  • 🤝
Reactions: j2134 and user254

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica! I'm applying for an open day and am not too sure what to include- what would you say firms tend to look for on these applications?

Unfortunately this is too broad a question - different firms will want different information and look for different things.

If I was to generalise across firms, it is curiosity and the willingness to learn more about them.

Nima

Oct 31, 2020
Hi Jessica,
I'm an overseas student (studying in Australia) and am doing a commerce degree. I will be in the final year of my degree next year and was wondering whether I would be eligible to apply for a vacation scheme or a training contract next year. If so, should I apply for the vacation scheme or training contract?

Thanks a lot!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,
I'm an overseas student (studying in Australia) and am doing a commerce degree. I will be in the final year of my degree next year and was wondering whether I would be eligible to apply for a vacation scheme or a training contract next year. If so, should I apply for the vacation scheme or training contract?

Thanks a lot!

A vacation scheme will be difficult for you unless you are willing to come over to the U.K. on your youth mobility visa (and you’d need to pay the costs for that). If you don’t want to utilise that, then unfortunately a firm is unlikely to apply for a work permit on your behalf because of the cost vs the short amount of time you are with the firm.

A training contract doesn’t have the same issue as firms who can sponsor a visa don’t have the same concerns given you’d be with the firm for at least 2 years.

You could apply for some vacation schemes this year, although most firms will take you on in your final year as a non law graduate. As you will only get one youth mobility visa, you may want to think how best to utilise it (if that’s something you wanted to do).

Nima

Oct 31, 2020
A vacation scheme will be difficult for you unless you are willing to come over to the U.K. on your youth mobility visa (and you’d need to pay the costs for that). If you don’t want to utilise that, then unfortunately a firm is unlikely to apply for a work permit on your behalf because of the cost vs the short amount of time you are with the firm.

A training contract doesn’t have the same issue as firms who can sponsor a visa don’t have the same concerns given you’d be with the firm for at least 2 years.

You could apply for some vacation schemes this year, although most firms will take you on in your final year as a non law graduate. As you will only get one youth mobility visa, you may want to think how best to utilise it (if that’s something you wanted to do).

Thanks a lot for the quick response! As an overseas candidate, would my chances of landing a training contract be worse than a UK student? Also would I need to explain in my application why I want to work in London in addition to why I would want to work at that firm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks a lot for the quick response! As an overseas candidate, would my chances of landing a training contract be worse than a UK student? Also would I need to explain in my application why I want to work in London in addition to why I would want to work at that firm?

Yes - if you have no ties to London or the U.K., it is important to say why you are willing to commit your career to that location for at least the medium term.

It’s not that they are worse as such. Firms will either sponsor you or they won’t - those that will sponsor you, your application is considered in the same way as any other candidate. Those that can’t sponsor your visa, there is no “worse” just unfortunately “worst” as they won’t be able to consider your application at all.

Reactions: Nima

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.