Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
if there is something that I think would really aid my application (an award/scholarship) but there is no 'additional information' box to tell grad rec, how would you work this into an application? Would it be weird if I were to stick it in the undergraduate degree additional information box and say 'whilst I was an undergraduate I was awarded X despite it relating more to the GDL? or should I just leave it out? Many thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
if there is something that I think would really aid my application (an award/scholarship) but there is no 'additional information' box to tell grad rec, how would you work this into an application? Would it be weird if I were to stick it in the undergraduate degree additional information box and say 'whilst I was an undergraduate I was awarded X despite it relating more to the GDL? or should I just leave it out? Many thanks!

you would need to fit in in an extra information section related to that qualification if you were going to do it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
ah sadly there isn't one for the gdl so would I just have to leave it out on this occasion, it seems like such a shame

Could it be mentioned elsewhere? General additional information section or possibly even in something like “prizes, awards” section (if the form has them)?

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
Could it be mentioned elsewhere? General additional information section or possibly even in something like “prizes, awards” section (if the form has them)?
Strangely, theres no where on the form for anything extra like that. Just education, application questions and work history. Would it be okay to put it in the work history? I can't think of any other way to work it into the application!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Strangely, theres no where on the form for anything extra like that. Just education, application questions and work history. Would it be okay to put it in the work history? I can't think of any other way to work it into the application!

no wouldn’t be appropriate for work history.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi Jessica,

Can I add my passion for a healthy lifestyle as an extra-curricular activity? I mention that I have always played sports and that, over the last 4 years, I have been exercising a lot and lost 30 kgs. It is my lifestyle, and not sure if I should mention it!

Thank you in advance

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Can I add my passion for a healthy lifestyle as an extra-curricular activity? I mention that I have always played sports and that, over the last 4 years, I have been exercising a lot and lost 30 kgs. It is my lifestyle, and not sure if I should mention it!

Thank you in advance

yes - something to mention in your interests

Reactions: S87

Shannon Murray

Standard Member
May 14, 2020
Hi,

I am currently writing a Vacation scheme application and it is asking to list my awards, prizes and stipends from 1-5. I'm not going to stretch it out as I only have two examples that would come under the definition. The first and probably most notable is my scholarship at university, I had to apply for the scholarship and meet certain criteria. Should I discuss the criteria I had to meet and how I met them, or is there another way this answer should be structured?

Thank you for any help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

I am currently writing a Vacation scheme application and it is asking to list my awards, prizes and stipends from 1-5. I'm not going to stretch it out as I only have two examples that would come under the definition. The first and probably most notable is my scholarship at university, I had to apply for the scholarship and meet certain criteria. Should I discuss the criteria I had to meet and how I met them, or is there another way this answer should be structured?

Thank you for any help!

Yes any criteria and requirements to achieve the scholarship can be identified if you think they are relevant. Just try to keep it super concise, remember this is about you not about the scholarship itself.

gg332dd

Valued Member
Apr 2, 2020
Hi Jessica,

Potentially silly question but would appreciate your insight, how does the application stage generally look like from Grad Rec perspective?

Do GR assistants shortlist applications for the head of GR to read? or do they all split applications between them and send invites to AC? I am really curious.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Potentially silly question but would appreciate your insight, how does the application stage generally look like from Grad Rec perspective?

Do GR assistants shortlist applications for the head of GR to read? or do they all split applications between them and send invites to AC? I am really curious.

No set answer to this - depends on the team and their process:

One team I worked in the assistants would do an eligibility check, the officers would do the screening
Another team I worked in, assistants would do the pyschometric scoring filters, the officers/manager/head of would do the application screening
Another team I worked in, everyone screened because of the volume of applications (even people outside of Grad Rec, but in other areas of HR)
Another team I worked in, lawyers used to screen after someone in grad rec filtered out the clearly not good enough applicants
Another team I worked in, I literally read every application
Other firms outsource their screening to people like me or to larger RPO recruitment companies (increasingly common these days). Until about 4-5 months before started here, I was doing that for a few firms (one US, one regional, one national).

gg332dd

Valued Member
Apr 2, 2020
No set answer to this - depends on the team and their process:

One team I worked in the assistants would do an eligibility check, the officers would do the screening
Another team I worked in, assistants would do the pyschometric scoring filters, the officers/manager/head of would do the application screening
Another team I worked in, everyone screened because of the volume of applications (even people outside of Grad Rec, but in other areas of HR)
Another team I worked in, lawyers used to screen after someone in grad rec filtered out the clearly not good enough applicants
Another team I worked in, I literally read every application
Other firms outsource their screening to people like me or to larger RPO recruitment companies (increasingly common these days). Until about 4-5 months before started here, I was doing that for a few firms (one US, one regional, one national).

Thank you Jessica, very insightful! Had no idea recruitment is outsourced

j2134

Star Member
May 6, 2020
Hi Jessica,

Is it common for firms to ask the same questions during VI as they did in the application. If so, is using a similar answer to what you wrote on the form advisable? Also, I have heard 'why law' is common in VIs, do you have any advice on reducing the answer to this to under one minute?

Thanks again.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Is it common for firms to ask the same questions during VI as they did in the application. If so, is using a similar answer to what you wrote on the form advisable? Also, I have heard 'why law' is common in VIs, do you have any advice on reducing the answer to this to under one minute?

Thanks again.

If they do, they are not really running an effective recruitment process.

depends how long/sophisticated your answer is on your application. In most instances, I’d expect your answer even in a video interview to be more in-depth though. Literally saying an answer that is basically just reading your application isn’t really making the most of the opportunity.

Like any answer where you have to condense it down, you focus on the parts that are most important or relevant.

keenaspiringlawyer

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 2, 2020
Do law firms mind if you do GDL Part-Time/Full-Time. I would like to work while I'm on the GDL to build up my work experience generally and think it would be best to do the GDL part-Time. Would this disadvantage me?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.