2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiT

Legendary Member
Oct 2, 2020
Has anyone submitted an application for Stephenson Harwood? I am confused because their application questions more or less seem to be asking the exact same thing:

Tell us about a time you have exceeded expectations in your work and/or study.
  • What challenges did you experience?
  • How did you respond to those challenges?
  • What was the outcome?
Tell us about responsibilities you have taken on outside of work and/or study.
  • Outline your personal achievements
  • What motivated you to achieve this?
  • How have you worked effectively with others?
Tell us when you have exceeded expectations in your work, study and/or outside interests.
  • What challenges did you experience?
  • How did you respond to those challenges?
  • What was the outcome?
If anyone has any advice on how to go about this I would really appreciate it! Additionally, does it seem that they only want one example per question?

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
Aug 26, 2020
Not sure how it works at other firms, but at Gibson Dunn trainees are included in the bonus pool.

Thank you! I've been offered a vac scheme at another American firm and graduate recruitment has encouraged me to connect with one of their current trainees for a video call. It's a bit of a taboo subject, do you reckon it's a bad idea to ask the trainee? Should I just wait to see if I get a training contract offer to ask? I don't want to come across as money-hungry but I'm just genuinely curious.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Thank you! I've been offered a vac scheme at another American firm and graduate recruitment has encouraged me to connect with one of their current trainees for a video call. It's a bit of a taboo subject, do you reckon it's a bad idea to ask the trainee? Should I just wait to see if I get a training contract offer to ask? I don't want to come across as money-hungry but I'm just genuinely curious.
    I think it depends on how you ask. If you ask it in a way that comes across as genuine and curious than I don't think there's an issue with it but I wouldn't necessarily lead with it if that makes sense

castrooo

Legendary Member
    Sep 17, 2020
    Has anyone heard back from White & Case for the spring or summer vac schemes? Applied at the beginning of October so just wondering if my rejection has been lost in space lol
    I am still waiting to hear back as well and I also applied in early October. I think they have not started reviewing applications yet as I haven't heard of anyone being progressed/rejected :)

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hi everyone

Hope you have all had an amazing Christmas!

Could someone please post the HSF VS questions - the deadline is over and I am curious to see what the questions where.

Thank you

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi everyone

Hope you have all had an amazing Christmas!

Could someone please post the HSF VS questions - the deadline is over and I am curious to see what the questions where.

Thank you

If you mean what the application questions were:

Herbert Smith Freehills
    • Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you. (We are looking for structure and succinctness in your answer. Your answer does not need to be related to law or HSF and it is a chance for us to find out more about you and your interests) (Up to 300 words)
    • Why are you interested in pursuing a career at Herbert Smith Freehills? (Up to 300 words)
    • What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role? (Up to 300 words)
    There's an entire thread on application questions different firms use here.

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Does anyone know if Clyde & Co reviews applications on a rolling basis? Their deadline is 1 Jan and I don’t know if it’s still worth putting in the effort of applying.

doublesalchow

Junior Lawyer
    Mar 13, 2019
    Does anyone know if Clyde & Co reviews applications on a rolling basis? Their deadline is 1 Jan and I don’t know if it’s still worth putting in the effort of applying.

Yes, they do recruit on a rolling basis. A friend received her AC invite last week. Their deadline is also the 3rd of Jan :)

I think it's always worth giving a shot! I know a future trainee that submitted his app on the last few days before the deadline.

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Yes, they do recruit on a rolling basis. A friend received her AC invite last week. Their deadline is also the 3rd of Jan :)

I think it's always worth giving a shot! I know a future trainee that submitted his app on the last few days before the deadline.
    Sorry, I have been thinking it's the 1st because I'm not going to be able to do applications next weekend. That's good to know, thank you!

MZ

Esteemed Member
    Forum Winner
    Oct 7, 2020
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows whether Taylor Wessing recruits on a rolling basis?

On the thread titled "which law firms recruit on a rolling basis? (2020-2021)", it says Taylor Wessing recruits on a rolling basis, but when I click on the link provided, their website says "We screen on a rolling basis but all our assessment centres are organised after the deadline to ensure all have the opportunity to apply". Their deadline is January 11 and their ACs are held in February and March.

I thought this was considered non-rolling, since they don't start handing out offers until after the deadline (unless I'm misunderstanding this, which is also very possible) and many firms who are non-rolling start reviewing applications before the deadline just to lessen their workload. Does this mean Taylor Wessing is non-rolling or do I just not understand what recruiting on a rolling basis means?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.