2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    When you say they screen the app, does this mean they review your answers or it goes through a system to see if you meet their academic requirements? Wasn't too sure :)
    I think screening involves reading them! The email when you're invited to WG says this:
    Thank you for your online application. We appreciate the time you have taken to complete this and are delighted to confirm we would like to progress you to the next stage of our process, which is the Watson Glaser Critical Thinking Appraisal Test.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: collie_121

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    I think screening involves reading them! The email when you're invited to WG says this:
    Thank you for your online application. We appreciate the time you have taken to complete this and are delighted to confirm we would like to progress you to the next stage of our process, which is the Watson Glaser Critical Thinking Appraisal Test.

How did you prep for their WGT Olivia? I thought I was good at the watson glaser, but have managed to fail every single one I've taken this application series :(:oops:

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    How did you prep for their WGT Olivia? I thought I was good at the watson glaser, but have managed to fail every single one I've taken this application series :(:oops:
    So I typically like to use The Lawyer Portal practice WG test as it explains the reasoning to why the answer is right or wrong. I also make sure at the start of each section when it explains what to look for and make sure I have that firmly in my head when I go into the questions! Lastly, I have a note on my phone that I glance at to help my reasoning. E.g. analysing arguments = directly addressing the statement, clear advantage or disadvantage with evidence. These notes I've made from doing practice tests with reasonings!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen and Lawbour

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    So I typically like to use The Lawyer Portal practice WG test as it explains the reasoning to why the answer is right or wrong. I also make sure at the start of each section when it explains what to look for and make sure I have that firmly in my head when I go into the questions! Lastly, I have a note on my phone that I glance at to help my reasoning. E.g. analysing arguments = directly addressing the statement, clear advantage or disadvantage with evidence. These notes I've made from doing practice tests with reasonings!

Ah this is great! I didn't even think about making notes :D

NSinger

Esteemed Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    @Jessica Booker I was doing a video interview and the app froze and wouldn't progress to the next question. I emailed grad rec explaining what happened and took a video of the issues I faced. My answers obviously weren't recorded. I haven't heard back from them yet as I emailed yesterday. Couldn't find a phone number for the firm either. Any advice on what to do?

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Just heard back for Jones Day today (application is for both of their schemes), for invite for a late Feb interview. Looks pretty damn intense, chat with an Associate followed by 40 minutes with two "senior lawyers."

I had my initial Mayer Brown telephone interview before, this is my first proper big big interview! :D

A L

Dec 20, 2018
    Hey, regarding Weil, has anyone who applied after Christmas received a WG invite or rejection yet? It seems true that early applicants are gaining big advantages.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Just heard back for Jones Day today (application is for both of their schemes), for invite for a late Feb interview. Looks pretty damn intense, chat with an Associate followed by 40 minutes with two "senior lawyers."

I had my initial Mayer Brown telephone interview before, this is my first proper big big interview! :D

Congrats and good luck!

Just wanted to confirm if your chat was with an associate? Mine says its with a trainee and for 15m ! :) best of luck for the interview(mine is scheduled for March!..)

• 🏆
    Reactions: OB

A L

Dec 20, 2018
    Did anyone get a confirmation email in your inbox after submitting an application for Milbank? I can see that apply4law says a confirmation has been sent but I haven't received anything in my emails, have checked spams/marketing folders etc... I did have some issues accessing apply4law yesterday so not sure if that has affected it.

Same issue.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Hey, regarding Weil, has anyone who applied after Christmas received a WG invite or rejection yet? It seems true that early applicants are gaining big advantages.

I applied before Xmas(23) and I haven't heard anything, so I don't think so! I also know people who applied after Xmas who have gotten VI's :) and WGT(although no rejections as of now..)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.