2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

A L

Dec 20, 2018
I applied before Xmas(23) and I haven't heard anything, so I don't think so! I also know people who applied after Xmas who have gotten VI's :) and WGT(although no rejections as of now..)

Can I ask when exactly the person(s) who applied after Christmas applied and got WG and VI invites if by chance you know? Are they very strong candidates?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I was doing a video interview and the app froze and wouldn't progress to the next question. I emailed grad rec explaining what happened and took a video of the issues I faced. My answers obviously weren't recorded. I haven't heard back from them yet as I emailed yesterday. Couldn't find a phone number for the firm either. Any advice on what to do?

Wait until the end of the week and if you haven’t heard back email them again on Monday.

Also try and contact the video interview provider to see if they can help.

Reactions: NSinger

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Been sent the test stage right now! Really happy but haven't had a day off from applications :(

Gosh I feel this on a deep level. I finally submitted my last application on Sunday and today, I have been sent the tests for TW and Reed Smith!!! So happy about it but I understand how you feel, I just wanted a bit of a break!!!! This is what it's all worth though so keep going and keep posting positive content and memes on this forum - I think reading your posts brightens all of our days. :)

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Anyone applied to Osborne Clarke? I’m struggling with their questions more than others!

Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke. Within your answer you should also include details of how you have developed your skills through your hobbies and interests. (500 words max)*

Is this “why commercial law”, “why OC” and “why you” rolled into one? So essentially a cover letter but focused on your hobbies rather than academics/work ex?

I think the reason I’m struggling with it is because there’s also another question about how OC can be distinguished from other firms which would be part of my answer to why OC anyway!

Grateful for any thoughts!

I know lots of people have responded to this already but I really struggled with that question too. I attended a few events with OC and eventually emailed in to ask whether, when explaining the skills we've developed through our hobbies and interests, we needed to explicitly link them back to law as the word count is so short to fully explain why law, why OC and our skills/hobbies. GR responded to say that it's good to be explicit and the reason for the strict word count is so we think about what we feel is most important to get across, but in this case, the question is asking about why you are particularly interested in commercial law at OC, so it's most important to focus on the why law and why OC. I hope this helps :)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: CF, OB, Lawyer101 and 4 others

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    I know lots of people have responded to this already but I really struggled with that question too. I attended a few events with OC and eventually emailed in to ask whether, when explaining the skills we've developed through our hobbies and interests, we needed to explicitly link them back to law as the word count is so short to fully explain why law, why OC and our skills/hobbies. GR responded to say that it's good to be explicit and the reason for the strict word count is so we think about what we feel is most important to get across, but in this case, the question is asking about why you are particularly interested in commercial law at OC, so it's most important to focus on the why law and why OC. I hope this helps :)
    This is incredibly useful, thank you so much!

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Do most firms reply with a rejection or do they just 'ghost' you? Asking for Weil, Kirkland and Latham!

Every single firm that I have been rejected from at some stage or another has sent me a rejection email notification. They are usually quite professional about this sort of thing, never heard anybody getting completely ghosted, especially not at the large firms that you have mentioned.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Do most firms reply with a rejection or do they just 'ghost' you? Asking for Weil, Kirkland and Latham!

The one good thing about law firms is they never ghost you! I absolutely hate it when I've applied for something and just never hear back

PS: Huge congrats to everyone getting these VI, WG and telephone interview invites!! So exciting to see these posts :)

Reactions: J32

acceleratedlaw

Legendary Member
    Jan 27, 2020
    this might be a very general question, but does anyone have any advice on how to go about structuring cover letters? i have submitted a few cover letters in my time but i havent been successful in those applications. i was wondering if anyone is willing to look at mine and let me know whats wrong with it/give any feedback. thank you guys!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.