2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZ

Esteemed Member
Forum Winner
Oct 7, 2020
Does anyone know what a mark-up exercise usually involves?

I have an assessment centre next week and they just sent me the schedule, which includes a “mark-up exercise” that wasn’t on their grad rec website, the AC invite email, or any past AC experiences on the forum, so I’m assuming it's a new addition to their assessment process. There’s no further information on what the exercise involves or what they’ll be looking for, just that it will be assessed verbally (telling the assessors what changes I made/errors I spotted).

I’ve never done a mark-up exercise before and I’m not really sure what to expect. Is it normally a legal document (like an NDA or transactional document) or non-legal document (like general articles or client emails)? Are they just looking for you to spot spelling mistakes and grammatical errors or would they also expect you to pick up on any inconsistencies in the document (for example, a clause in an NDA that contradicts what is set out earlier in the document)?

I’m completely lost here so if anyone has done one or has an idea of what they tend to involve, that would be super helpful. Any tips on ways to prep/practice would be great too!

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
Oct 20, 2020
Anyone applying to Osborne Clarke? I’m struggling with this question-

Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke. Within your answer you should also include details of how you have developed your skills through your hobbies and interests. (500 words max)*

The questions seems to be asking two things- i)Why OC? and ii)What skills have you developed from your hobbies/interests?
But does my answer to each of these need to be linked- I'm confused that these two have been combined. 'Within your answer' would suggest that your answers needs to be linked (i.e. the skill you have developed from 'x interest/hobby' has led to or has followed from your interest in 'y' which is a reason for why you want to apply to OC)?

If they are linked, then talking about hobbies would be difficult- e.g. one of my hobbies is playing football and the skills I have developed from this are teamwork etc, but can't really link this to 'Why OC'.

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

mia99

• Jan 5, 2021
    Anyone else still without a response from A&O (summer VS). I thought I should have had a response by now. I have heard of some rejections and AC invites already. Does that mean I have yet to be considered or in a "maybe pile" - does this even exist?
    I'm in the same situation, I successfully passed their SJT in December and haven't hear back since. My application is still marked as under review... I was actually wondering if I should email them because I've heard they had been sending invites already.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Does anyone know what a mark-up exercise usually involves?

I have an assessment centre next week and they just sent me the schedule, which includes a “mark-up exercise” that wasn’t on their grad rec website, the AC invite email, or any past AC experiences on the forum, so I’m assuming it's a new addition to their assessment process. There’s no further information on what the exercise involves or what they’ll be looking for, just that it will be assessed verbally (telling the assessors what changes I made/errors I spotted).

I’ve never done a mark-up exercise before and I’m not really sure what to expect. Is it normally a legal document (like an NDA or transactional document) or non-legal document (like general articles or client emails)? Are they just looking for you to spot spelling mistakes and grammatical errors or would they also expect you to pick up on any inconsistencies in the document (for example, a clause in an NDA that contradicts what is set out earlier in the document)?

I’m completely lost here so if anyone has done one or has an idea of what they tend to involve, that would be super helpful. Any tips on ways to prep/practice would be great too!
    What AC is this? :)

brizzy101

Junior Lawyer
    Dec 6, 2020
    Hi all, very specific question but as a non-law student I'm wondering if the GDL/SQE should be described as a graduate conversion course or a postgraduate conversion course - have put the latter on several cover letters and hoping I haven't messed up!

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Anyone applying to Osborne Clarke? I’m struggling with this question-

Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke. Within your answer you should also include details of how you have developed your skills through your hobbies and interests. (500 words max)*

The questions seems to be asking two things- i)Why OC? and ii)What skills have you developed from your hobbies/interests?
    But does my answer to each of these need to be linked- I'm confused that these two have been combined. 'Within your answer' would suggest that your answers needs to be linked (i.e. the skill you have developed from 'x interest/hobby' has led to or has followed from your interest in 'y' which is a reason for why you want to apply to OC)?

If they are linked, then talking about hobbies would be difficult- e.g. one of my hobbies is playing football and the skills I have developed from this are teamwork etc, but can't really link this to 'Why OC'.

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.
    I asked this same question on the weekend and got some great help. If you scroll up a few pages, you should be able to find answers.

ETA: I am still staring at the question and haven’t written an answer. It’s an odd one.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone, I'm sure lots of people have asked this question but is it Freshfields' or Freshfields's?

Freshfields’

basically you don’t prenounce it “Freshfieldses trainees” you say “Freshfields trainees” so s’

• 🏆
    Reactions: HCY

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
    Oct 20, 2020
    @Veep9 Thanks for the response!

I’ve seen the earlier responses and they cleared up some of my other queries.. still not sure about the question though as nothing was said about the ‘linking point’ I’m referring to.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.