2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AH97

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 30, 2019
Hi all,

I have my first ever AC next week and I am a non-law student! I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how best to prepare for it or point me in the way of any websites which could help me :) Thank you!

Congratulations! I'm not sure what your AC will involve but I'd definitely google some basic contracts just to get familiar with their layout, the language, the sections and subsections, etc. Also, basic M&A knowledge is always helpful!

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
Aug 26, 2020
I’ve not done a case study at Bakers but my experience of doing one was that it aligns quite closely with the firms core practice areas. The case study I did had lots of different elements (including some M&A) but it was definitely more advisory and just spotting potential commercial problems and where the firm could help.

For example, mine centred on an influencer who ran a coffee business and had a joint venture with a friend who created a new product. You had do deal with all the potential problems involved in the multilayered case so yeah, I’d advise reading up on the firm’s core areas and reading the news and maybe brushing up on things like balance sheets etc as they can be used in case studies! Sorry if I’m rambling, well done and good luck! ⭐️

This was super helpful, thank you very much!!

• 🤝
Reactions: thirdtimelucky

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Has anyone heard from CMS post VI?

I was wondering how long it took after the email 'this confirms we received your video interview'. On the app portal it's been saying 'reviewed' since last week!
    It took me 6 weeks to hear back post-VI and a few weeks of it it showed as reviewed in the portal. I wouldn't stress :)

KM74

Dec 28, 2020
    I know I said I was taking a break but lo and behold, Simmons & Simmons just sent me a VI and some online tests after passing the SJT! If anyone has any recommendations/tips, that would be super appreciated!
    Kim-Kardashian-Hiding-In-Bushes-Meme.jpg
    Hey,
    I have just been invited, how did you get on?
    Do you have any tips or remember any of the questions, would really appreciate some guidance.

• 🤝
    Reactions: LS12

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hey,
    I have just been invited, how did you get on?
    Do you have any tips or remember any of the questions, would really appreciate some guidance.

Hi, I am not going to say the questions but as they state in the email, its a mix of competency, motivation and situational etc :) Just keep calm and make sure you communicate clearly

Reactions: Hele25, OB and KM74

s_k_k_01

Premium Member
    Jan 4, 2021
    Is the Macfarlane application only 4 questions? Just been firing off some last minute apps and wanted to make sure I'm not missing something major as I think previous have required a cover letter and longer questions?

MZ

Esteemed Member
    Forum Winner
    Oct 7, 2020
    Has anyone heard from NRF post telephone interview

Not yet, I was pretty sure grad rec said they'd be done interviewing candidates by the week commencing January 11 and we'd hear back soon after, but now I'm wondering if I misunderstood and they're still conducting the remaining interviews this week then getting back to us at the end of the week/beginning of next week. Did the person interviewing you tell you when you could expect to hear back?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.