2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kls

Distinguished Member
Jan 11, 2021
Is the Macfarlane application only 4 questions? Just been firing off some last minute apps and wanted to make sure I'm not missing something major as I think previous have required a cover letter and longer questions?

yes! It’s just 4 questions this year! All 300 words if I remember rightly ☺️

• ℹ️
Reactions: OB

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Not yet, I was pretty sure grad rec said they'd be done interviewing candidates by the week commencing January 11 and we'd hear back soon after, but now I'm wondering if I misunderstood and they're still conducting the remaining interviews this week then getting back to us at the end of the week/beginning of next week. Did the person interviewing you tell you when you could expect to hear back?
They told me that I’ll hear back next week (last week), so maybe they’re just deciding

• ℹ️
Reactions: jkjk99

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
Commercial Writer
Junior Lawyer
Jun 24, 2018
Not yet, I was pretty sure grad rec said they'd be done interviewing candidates by the week commencing January 11 and we'd hear back soon after, but now I'm wondering if I misunderstood and they're still conducting the remaining interviews this week then getting back to us at the end of the week/beginning of next week. Did the person interviewing you tell you when you could expect to hear back?
Hey - at the end of mine she said they were still interviewing this week and wouldn't make decisions until they had completed all interviews. I guess we'll hear end of this week/next! :)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Is the Macfarlane application only 4 questions? Just been firing off some last minute apps and wanted to make sure I'm not missing something major as I think previous have required a cover letter and longer questions?

From memory, it used to be considerably longer. I have known one of the folks in GR at Macfarlanes though and they mentioned to me at the end of the last app cycle that they were thinking about shortening it so I think that must just be what's happened.

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    I had mine on the 31st December and she said we could expect to hear during the week commencing 11th January... so fingers crossed soon! :)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: MZ and jkjk99

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Hey - at the end of mine she said they were still interviewing this week and wouldn't make decisions until they had completed all interviews. I guess we'll hear end of this week/next! :)

Just to confirm for everyone wondering, Flora is right! For my WVS, NRF's GR told me that this year they have decided to make decisions after interviewing all the telephone interview candidates(previously they made decisions as they interviewed candidates along the way rather than waiting)

I had to wait 2 weeks for an AC i believe as my telephone interview was on the first week but after that the process was faster

Good luck to all!

Last edited:

AW_08

Valued Member
    Dec 20, 2019
    Has anyone heard from DLA Piper for the summer vac scheme? I sent off my application 23/11, did the WG soon after, and haven't heard anything since! When I look at my application, it says last updated: 7th December 2020. Does anyone have any idea what that could mean? x

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    Has anyone heard from DLA Piper for the summer vac scheme? I sent off my application 23/11, did the WG soon after, and haven't heard anything since! When I look at my application, it says last updated: 7th December 2020. Does anyone have any idea what that could mean? x
    I applied on the 13th December and did the WG on the 24th. My application now says last updated 11th January (yesterday), so honestly no idea! I know they've handed out some rejections though so no news is good news at this stage I would say :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: AW_08

eveh1784

Star Member
    Jan 21, 2020
    Do you reckon they consider the Bakers VI in conjunction with the WG and application as a whole?

It's hard to say without commentary specifically from Grad Rec - I expect that a reasonable amount of importance will be placed on the VI. In my opinion, you had to get through the WG to get a VI, so that's a benchmark already passed. However, if they have a lot of candidates who all have VI's of a similar standard, I expect they will look at the whole application more holistically!

Reactions: Lawyer101
    D

Deleted member 2707

Same! I know the VI didn't go well, and I have a GDL exam tomorrow - still isn't stopping me from fixating lol!

Oh no! Best of luck. :( I have a meeting with Weil in about 2 hours to discuss collaborations and I *hope* I don't get the rejection email then. Don't wanna look a mess in front of another (potential) employer :oops:

Just wondering when did you complete the VI?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.