2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Is there any reassuring reason for those of us who applied earlier than those who have invites but didn’t get any reply?

Really wanted Skadden, thought I stood a good chance having done their open day, networked with their staff, and attending one of few uni they actually visit :(
On the telephone interview thing, for me there was only 8 or so slots lol.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Adrian_Healey

legalCheek27

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 29, 2020
    Question regarding the White & Case VS deadline. By 15th Jan, is that to be interpreted as the end of Thursday at 11:59pm, or the end Friday 11:59pm?

Considering they review applications on a rolling basis, I fully appreciate that applying this late is far from ideal. I also understand that applying by the end of Thursday is the safer option. However, if there is an extra day, I feel I could significantly improve the quality of my app.

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Question regarding the White & Case VS deadline. By 15th Jan, is that to be interpreted as the end of Thursday at 11:59pm, or the end Friday 11:59pm?

Considering they review applications on a rolling basis, I fully appreciate that applying this late is far from ideal. I also understand that applying by the end of Thursday is the safer option. However, if there is an extra day, I feel I could significantly improve the quality of my app.
    In my experience, “apply by day X” means “apply by the end of day X” (i.e. day X is included in the application window). Not sure this applies to W&C, but can’t see why it shouldn’t.

Reactions: Bugsy Malone

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi everyone,
    I got a rejection from B&B and Slaughters and May today :( And these were the only firms that I've applied to, as I am seeing now many firms have already closed their applications for VS.

Do you think I should still try to apply to different firm's TCs? Granted, I have no legal work experience. Or wait and apply for VS next year?
    I know that my question is stupid, but I don't really know what to do, I am proper gutted!

Hi Kat,

I'm really sorry to hear about the rejections. Every single person on this thread has been there, and we're all rooting for you. I hope you take some time out to just relax and recover from it. And your question is not stupid at all! I think 99% of people applying go through the should I do TC or VS apps conundrum. I would really recommend applying to TC apps anyway, especially since you also have the upcoming summer TC application window coming up. Many people get made TC offers with little to no legal work experience so I definitely don't think that puts you at a disadvantage.

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    Having a pretty bad day haha.. just got told by a firm I did a virtual vac scheme with that they’re cancelling trainee recruitment entirely for my cohort (2022). They said they cannot consider us for 2023 TCs as it would be unfair to people who are scheduled to complete a vac scheme this year. Feel absolutely demoralised but hey that’s life. Gotta hope tomorrow will be better.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Honestly! It’s nice to engage in these theories because it gives a timeline which is comforting when you literally have no info. Because the waiting around is AWFUL. But at the end of the day, it doesn’t mean much. Grad rec will get to you when they get to you. Wish we had more of a timeline tho.

Me and my friends used to speculate theories like this all the time too! It's so unhealthy though, and I know its tough to resist checking the forum/emails every few minutes but if I were you I'd find a series on Netflix to binge watch and just shut off for a day. That's what I used to do to block things out when it triggered my anxiety. ;)

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Having a pretty bad day haha.. just got told by a firm I did a virtual vac scheme with that they’re cancelling trainee recruitment entirely for my cohort (2022). They said they cannot consider us for 2023 TCs as it would be unfair to people who are scheduled to complete a vac scheme this year. Feel absolutely demoralised but hey that’s life. Gotta hope tomorrow will be better.

I hope you know that your VS is proof you are TC material and that if anything this firm is the one that has clearly lost out on you and a brilliant pool of future trainees. Whenever something out of my control ruins things for me I try to tell myself that maybe it wasn't meant to be anyway. I know it sounds cliche and honestly I wish I had something better to say but there is better out there for you and I hope you find it in yourself to push past this. We're all here for you and we're all rooting for you.

Last edited:

leolegal

Distinguished Member
    Dec 23, 2020
    This happened to me last year too. A firm I had work experience with and was really set on applying to decided to last minute pull their applications for TCs due to Covid and the upcoming SQE. Absolutely heartbreaking, but you will get through it!!! Just know that there is always another opportunity around the corner, even if it doesn't seem like it right now

packhorse

Esteemed Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    That's awful. I am so sorry to hear about your experience...!

Which firm was it out of interest?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Usually means Friday by 11.59.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020

Hey I just want you to know this happened to me last year. I got a VS at a firm that cancelled grad recruitment before I could even go on it and I was so disappointed in everything - the system, myself, the world... Etc. And it really got to me and I felt just awful because I loved the firm and was so excited to go - plus the fact that it meant there was no chance of me getting a 2022 TC and go straight to the LPC.

But the only advice I can give you is absolutely don't give up. This year I was expecting to get loads of rejections in a row just like last year, but I've actually got to 2 ACs and final stage for another firm. Tomorrow will be better having been through this I can tell you that 100% is true. Our cohort has been screwed by covid pretty badly but when we show em it's only made us stronger we'll come out on top in the end ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.