Answering an interview question about failing to convert a previous VS

Florawilliams

Esteemed Member
Sep 17, 2020
Hi

I have an AC coming up for a VS. I did a winter VS back in 2019 and failed to convert to a TC. Just wondering people's tips on how to approach this question

The real reason i didn't convert is because certain elements of my final interview were weak, such as my answer to the commercial scenario. I also generally didn't find myself a good fit for the firm (this is not the reason i didn't get a TC tho)!

Thank you for any responses :)

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Hi

I have an AC coming up for a VS. I did a winter VS back in 2019 and failed to convert to a TC. Just wondering people's tips on how to approach this question

The real reason i didn't convert is because certain elements of my final interview were weak, such as my answer to the commercial scenario. I also generally didn't find myself a good fit for the firm (this is not the reason i didn't get a TC tho)!

Thank you for any responses :)

Hi @Florawilliams

Congrats on your upcoming AC!

I would approach this answer as honestly as possible from a developmental point (e.g. like you said you weren't as strong commercially) then explain how you have developed since. I think this is better than leading with the notion that the other firm wasn't the right fit because as you said that wasn't the reason. Also, I think your answer won't be as strong if it seems like you are blaming.

Instead I think interviewers will like to see that you are self-aware and you possess the ability to take in criticism and learn from your past mistakes.

Best of luck!:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoo

Florawilliams

Esteemed Member
Sep 17, 2020
Hi @Florawilliams

Congrats on your upcoming AC!

I would approach this answer as honestly as possible from a developmental point (e.g. like you said you weren't as strong commercially) then explain how you have developed since. I think this is better than leading with the notion that the other firm wasn't the right fit because as you said that wasn't the reason. Also, I think your answer won't be as strong if it seems like you are blaming.

Instead I think interviewers will like to see that you are self-aware and you possess the ability to take in criticism and learn from your past mistakes.

Best of luck!:)
Hi Naomi

Great thank you! yes i thought this was the best way to go about it thanks :) do you think just saying the commercial question in the interview was weak because i skipped to the answer rather than really going through my steps (for example)?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi Flora,

I agree with mostly everything that Naomi has said! Definitely lead with the feedback you received and all the steps you've taken since then to improve on those areas. And yes you can definitely highlight what you think could have gone better in the actual interview (i.e. you needing to demonstrate your thought process better), this will really show that you have taken the time to reflect on your own as well.

I just wanted to add that there really is nothing wrong with saying you realised you were not a good fit for the firm (as long as this is the ancillary reason that you mention!). If you wanted to be more careful about saying that, you could phrase it by saying why you didn't think it was the right fit and consequently how that made you realise that firms like the one you do have the AC at appeal to you more. This was my own approach when answering this question, and I sometimes even got a laugh out of the partners for the honesty. :)

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hi Naomi

Great thank you! yes i thought this was the best way to go about it thanks :) do you think just saying the commercial question in the interview was weak because i skipped to the answer rather than really going through my steps (for example)?

Hi @Florawilliams

No problem! Sure- I don't see why not, if you feel that this was the problem. I would mention how I knew e.g. through my feedback or my own self critic the focus more so on how you feel it could have gone better and the steps you have took to ensure improvement next time.

I think they just want to see that you have developed and that you can be honest about your experiences!

Florawilliams

Esteemed Member
    Sep 17, 2020
    Hi Flora,

I agree with mostly everything that Naomi has said! Definitely lead with the feedback you received and all the steps you've taken since then to improve on those areas. And yes you can definitely highlight what you think could have gone better in the actual interview (i.e. you needing to demonstrate your thought process better), this will really show that you have taken the time to reflect on your own as well.

I just wanted to add that there really is nothing wrong with saying you realised you were not a good fit for the firm (as long as this is the ancillary reason that you mention!). If you wanted to be more careful about saying that, you could phrase it by saying why you didn't think it was the right fit and consequently how that made you realise that firms like the one you do have the AC at appeal to you more. This was my own approach when answering this question, and I sometimes even got a laugh out of the partners for the honesty. :)
    hahah ! thank you so much for this response! very helpful :D

Florawilliams

Esteemed Member
    Sep 17, 2020
    Hi @Florawilliams

No problem! Sure- I don't see why not, if you feel that this was the problem. I would mention how I knew e.g. through my feedback or my own self critic the focus more so on how you feel it could have gone better and the steps you have took to ensure improvement next time.

I think they just want to see that you have developed and that you can be honest about your experiences!
    thank you so much Naomi for the help

Florawilliams

Esteemed Member
    Sep 17, 2020
    hey everyone again, thank you for the help! do you think it is appropriate to say i got really good feedback from my supervisor but fell down in the final interview because this was the case ? basically do you think it is appropriate to talk about what was positive in the feedback too or is this missing the point because i obviously didn't get the TC?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    hey everyone again, thank you for the help! do you think it is appropriate to say i got really good feedback from my supervisor but fell down in the final interview because this was the case ? basically do you think it is appropriate to talk about what was positive in the feedback too or is this missing the point because i obviously didn't get the TC?

Yes you can definitely mention the positive feedback and perhaps even frame it as evidencing all the reasons you believe you're suited to the position. That is personally how I think I would include it in addition to everything that has already been said about the negative feedback and your actions since then etc.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.