Failed to convert two VS, what should I do for next year?

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    I posted a similar question in the main forum but decided it made a lot of sense to have a separate thread on the topic :D

So as the title suggests, I was able to secure two schemes this year which were both really fun [one MC, one US], but I wasn't able to convert them. I think my biggest struggle is the final interview at the end haha

I also understand that whilst I technically have some experience now, it will also reflect badly on me that I failed, not once, but twice, to convert them!

So my questions are, as I am going into third year (law), should I just go for direct TCs or try to do winter and spring schemes too? And how do I go about explaining why I failed twice? I've also realised I like US firms more but I recognise they have have very few spaces.

Thank you in advance :)

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    Hi! I'm likely going to be in a very similar position to you soon - I am still waiting to hear back from my last scheme but they have very few spaces as a US firm, and I am also about to go into my third year of my LLB. I applied to a few direct TCs that closed in July but winter VS applications are opening up very soon so I am planning on applying to a few of those as well as direct TCs - I probably won't go for summer VS's again, even though many US firms recruit heavily from their VS's, so I will have to shift my focus to different firms. If in a years time I am still without an offer I will self-fund the SQE and keep applying!

You could definitely do spring/winter VS's and direct TCs at the same time, and you will be in a better position since you have two more VS's under your belt and more skills and experiences to talk about! I think its very common to be in the position we are in and we will get there, its just all part of the journey. Also, I'm not sure how common it is to be asked why you failed to convert vacation schemes - if they do, I will try to put a positive spin on it by saying "it wasn't the right fit and I realised I'm lookng for a firm that's more X or has wider Y capabilities."

Good luck!!

Reactions: BBsharkk

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    Hi! I'm likely going to be in a very similar position to you soon - I am still waiting to hear back from my last scheme but they have very few spaces as a US firm, and I am also about to go into my third year of my LLB. I applied to a few direct TCs that closed in July but winter VS applications are opening up very soon so I am planning on applying to a few of those as well as direct TCs - I probably won't go for summer VS's again, even though many US firms recruit heavily from their VS's, so I will have to shift my focus to different firms. If in a years time I am still without an offer I will self-fund the SQE and keep applying!

You could definitely do spring/winter VS's and direct TCs at the same time, and you will be in a better position since you have two more VS's under your belt and more skills and experiences to talk about! I think its very common to be in the position we are in and we will get there, its just all part of the journey. Also, I'm not sure how common it is to be asked why you failed to convert vacation schemes - if they do, I will try to put a positive spin on it by saying "it wasn't the right fit and I realised I'm lookng for a firm that's more X or has wider Y capabilities."

Good luck!!
    Thank you so much for your response!

I love the mindset and hope you succeed with a TC offer soon.

That's a very good way of looking at it and I think as long as I act on the feedback and keep my head high, I got this. I quite like the training opportunities and increased partner contact of US firms, and given their focus on a VS route, I will likely just go for 1 or 2 winter schemes. But I will largely focus my efforts on direct applications.

We have this in the bag!

Reactions: BBsharkk

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    Update:

Thank you to everyone who messaged me and gave me advice. I can officially say, the rejections no longer bother me and it was quite satisfying updating my CV haha!

Nonetheless, for anyone else who is in the same boat [or who may be in the same boat in the future], rejection is merely redirection. I have come to realise that I have placed too much worth on a career that I may not even be guaranteed to enjoy in the long-run, so look after what really matters - your mental health.

Through combing this lovely forum, seeking advice and researching, I have decided on a game-plan for the next cycle (something I recommend you ALL to do).

I applied haphazardly last year, just wishing to get a VS. I believe I've matured somewhat in this regard and I'm now looking towards applying to firms I genuinely see myself working at. I decided I will spread risk by applying to Winter Vacation Schemes and Direct TCs. No summer, no spring. The reason being, my grades took a hit this year, so I'd rather get VS applications out of the way earlier rather than later. As for the Direct TC applications, I will mainly apply to those firms which have a healthy direct stream, whilst leaving the firms that recruit heavily from VS for my winter applications.

I'm feeling pretty good and might create a TC journey thread to kick start next year. Once again, thank you all for just being amazing people. <3 And any advice would be humbly appreciated.

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Update:

Thank you to everyone who messaged me and gave me advice. I can officially say, the rejections no longer bother me and it was quite satisfying updating my CV haha!

Nonetheless, for anyone else who is in the same boat [or who may be in the same boat in the future], rejection is merely redirection. I have come to realise that I have placed too much worth on a career that I may not even be guaranteed to enjoy in the long-run, so look after what really matters - your mental health.

Through combing this lovely forum, seeking advice and researching, I have decided on a game-plan for the next cycle (something I recommend you ALL to do).

I applied haphazardly last year, just wishing to get a VS. I believe I've matured somewhat in this regard and I'm now looking towards applying to firms I genuinely see myself working at. I decided I will spread risk by applying to Winter Vacation Schemes and Direct TCs. No summer, no spring. The reason being, my grades took a hit this year, so I'd rather get VS applications out of the way earlier rather than later. As for the Direct TC applications, I will mainly apply to those firms which have a healthy direct stream, whilst leaving the firms that recruit heavily from VS for my winter applications.

I'm feeling pretty good and might create a TC journey thread to kick start next year. Once again, thank you all for just being amazing people. <3 And any advice would be humbly appreciated.

rejections suck so much, i still remember getting rejected post AC and all i could keep thinking about how close i genuinely was and kept beating myself over it. spoiler alert: it ruined the rest of my 2nd year because i was jus moping about it. but it is so true, rejection is most definitely redirection!! upon retrospect sometimes you think maybe it didnt work out because there is a better firm out there for you that you'll be more suited and comfortable w, who knows? that motivated me enough to also set out a gameplan for next app cycle as well :)

u're also so right on how much we place our worth on a career we may not even be guaranteed to enjoy but all because it's jus a race when you really simplify it so take care of yourself and things that will matter to you more which is, ofc, your mental health

u have a solid game plan and its a strategic one too, i got advised by one mentor to do 3 for winter, if that didnt work out have 3 reserved for spring/ summer, that way you don't spread urself too thin whilst still having options. you now have 2 vac scheme experiences under ur arms and that'll be so incredibly useful for you because its like you already know the game in a way,u've been thru the process once, succeeded w 2 diff types of firms in their AC so u know what to expect. rooting for you (':

You Can Do It GIF

• Love
    Reactions: EliteWhovian

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    rejections suck so much, i still remember getting rejected post AC and all i could keep thinking about how close i genuinely was and kept beating myself over it. spoiler alert: it ruined the rest of my 2nd year because i was jus moping about it. but it is so true, rejection is most definitely redirection!! upon retrospect sometimes you think maybe it didnt work out because there is a better firm out there for you that you'll be more suited and comfortable w, who knows? that motivated me enough to also set out a gameplan for next app cycle as well :)

u're also so right on how much we place our worth on a career we may not even be guaranteed to enjoy but all because it's jus a race when you really simplify it so take care of yourself and things that will matter to you more which is, ofc, your mental health

u have a solid game plan and its a strategic one too, i got advised by one mentor to do 3 for winter, if that didnt work out have 3 reserved for spring/ summer, that way you don't spread urself too thin whilst still having options. you now have 2 vac scheme experiences under ur arms and that'll be so incredibly useful for you because its like you already know the game in a way,u've been thru the process once, succeeded w 2 diff types of firms in their AC so u know what to expect. rooting for you (':

You Can Do It GIF

Thank you so much for your motivational and kind words! :D And I'm glad you were able to get back up and not let any past rejections define you.

As for the advice, that's an excellent game plan. Although, my mindset right now is 'get the winter ones out of the way, use the easter holiday to study and don't have a part-2 of last cycle's summer schemes' haha. I wasn't able to get direct training applications in because of my schemes, so I wanted to dedicate end of this upcoming cycle to direct applications rather than summer schemes, if that makes sense?

I have narrowed down 8 firms I want to apply for a winter vacation scheme with, whilst technically I 'could' apply for them all, I think your advice makes sense. Just really not eager to do a summer vacation scheme again lol! I might see which ones I could possibly switch schemes for

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.