VS Application Strategy for international students

GMNDKD

Oct 11, 2023
Hi All,

I have a question regarding my application strategy:

About my profile: I have relatively poor A levels (roughly BBB converted). I completed my undergraduate studies in my home county with a first. After that, I gained about practical experience as a trainee at a very renowned law firm (partner firm of an MC Law firm) and at an MC law firm. Actually I pursuing a LL.M at a top RG uni.

I would like to know what you think about the chances of success if I apply for a Vac Scheme at different City Law firms. I already understand that some have A-level minimum requirements and Vac Schemes tend to be aimed at younger students, so I thought the chances of an offer might be low. Do you have any tips on how I should go about this? Do you think it would be possible to secure an Vac Scheme?

I would really appreciate a reply and thank you in advance for your time.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Are you currently studying your LLM it the RG uni? And I am assuming you are on a student visa too?

If so, one of the key considerations is asking the university to confirm your term dates and then focusing on applications to vacation schemes outside of those dates. One common issue for international LLM students is they can’t do many vacation schemes where they are within term time, and sometimes some universities do not consider their LLM students to have the same summer break too.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi All,

I have a question regarding my application strategy:

About my profile: I have relatively poor A levels (roughly BBB converted). I completed my undergraduate studies in my home county with a first. After that, I gained about practical experience as a trainee at a very renowned law firm (partner firm of an MC Law firm) and at an MC law firm. Actually I pursuing a LL.M at a top RG uni.

I would like to know what you think about the chances of success if I apply for a Vac Scheme at different City Law firms. I already understand that some have A-level minimum requirements and Vac Schemes tend to be aimed at younger students, so I thought the chances of an offer might be low. Do you have any tips on how I should go about this? Do you think it would be possible to secure an Vac Scheme?

I would really appreciate a reply and thank you in advance for your time.
I personally believe that you have plenty of chances of getting a vacation scheme offer! There are many firms out there that accept BBB or accept extenuating circumstances (if you have any) so I think you should not be discouraged by that. I myself am an international student who applied for vacation scheme with an undergraduate degree from Italy and an MSc from LSE (and I was a non-law student as well with no legal experience). I was so discouraged at the beginning of my journey but I quickly realised that the secret lies with being able to explain everything you have done, including your grades, and make sure that the graduate recruitment understands the conversion of your grades and the level of your experiences. I know someone who graduated with a 2:2 with a degree outside of the UK and got a tc at a MC firm. It really is about being able to sell yourself in the best way possible.
In conclusion, I genuinely think that you have a really good chance at securing a vacation scheme at various law firms. One tip that I would suggest is to apply to a variety of law firms and not only City Law firms as my experience showed me that some US firms are VERY open to internationals, they in fact encourage us to apply, so I would look into those too!
Good luck with everything and I am sure that everything will work out for you, especially given your LLM!

Apply and smash this application cycle! @GMNDKD

Martalley

Nov 1, 2023
The practical experience you've gained at renowned law firms will undoubtedly strengthen your application. While some firms might have minimum A-level requirements, your first-class undergraduate degree and practical experience should be substantial factors in your favor.
Also, if you're considering moving for your Vac Scheme or further studies, student rentals can provide a flexible and comfortable living situation. Companies like https://axonproperties.ca/student-rentals-kingston/, for instance, offer excellent student rentals in Kingston, catering to students' needs.
Ultimately, your diverse experiences and strong academic background are powerful assets. Use them to your advantage, and stay persistent. Good luck!

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.