What should my next course of action be?

Samuelz1066

Apr 14, 2024
I'm currently a first year student studying history and politics at the University of Warwick, I plan on doing a law conversion after graduation. Right now, I feel like I'm struggling in that direction. All of my first year scheme applications have failed and right now, I just don't see how I could get into a vacation scheme or training contract in the future. I have a decent amount of work experience, the only issue that most of them don't really correlate with law, they're more like applicable skills. This whole thing is confusing me. I try getting into internships and nothing works. I have entered into a few events which gave insight but they weren't like law firm schemes. I want the truth here, have I failed already?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm currently a first year student studying history and politics at the University of Warwick, I plan on doing a law conversion after graduation. Right now, I feel like I'm struggling in that direction. All of my first year scheme applications have failed and right now, I just don't see how I could get into a vacation scheme or training contract in the future. I have a decent amount of work experience, the only issue that most of them don't really correlate with law, they're more like applicable skills. This whole thing is confusing me. I try getting into internships and nothing works. I have entered into a few events which gave insight but they weren't like law firm schemes. I want the truth here, have I failed already?
Absolutely not. If anything you are ahead of the curve - you’ll likely find more success next year. Just keep at it - maybe do some virtual internships on platforms like Forage and consider getting involved in the law society or other law related extra curriculars next year.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.