Introduction ✨

AnnieA

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 25, 2023
Hello TCLA members,

I finally decided to introduce myself after being here for sometime now.
I am Annie, a career changer. Also returning to professional work after a little over 8 years career break.
My first degree was Banking & Finance, MBA in Finance both from oversees. Graduated this year from City law school after completing the GDL.
Why law? Most of my professors in business school were lawyers too and I admired the wealth of knowledge and the varied opportunities studying law offers. Returning to work I wanted a new challenge and variety. I know law firms will not believe me however though the GDL was tough I found it interesting and fascinating. Honestly still figuring out a compelling answer but on here, this is the honest truth. My interest is commercial law and international trade ultimately, having done the trade finance course with the London institute of banking earlier.
I know I have a massive glass ceiling to smash. Among other things, being an immigrant and having zero legal connections here in the UK. After research, I have narrowed down to about five firms who have strong trade finance practices. I hope I am doing the right thing.
Good luck to us all this cycle and let’s support and cheer each other on! Yes we can!✨⚖️

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello TCLA members,

I am Annie, a career changer. Also returning to professional work after a little over 8 years career break.
    My first degree was Banking & Finance, MBA in Finance both from oversees. Graduated this year from City law school after completing the GDL.
    Why law? Most of my professors in business school were lawyers too and I admired the wealth of knowledge and the varied opportunities studying law offers. Returning to work I wanted a new challenge and variety. I know law firms will not believe me however though the GDL was tough I found it interesting and fascinating. Honestly still figuring out a compelling answer but on here, this is the honest truth. My interest is commercial law and international trade ultimately, having done the trade finance course with the London institute of banking earlier.
    I know I have a massive glass ceiling to smash. Among other things, being an immigrant and having zero legal connections here in the UK. After research, I have narrowed down to about five firms who have strong trade finance practices. I hope I am doing the right thing.
    Good luck to us all this cycle and let’s support and cheer each other on! Yes we can!✨⚖️
    Welcome to the community Annie! Excited to follow you on your journey and we can definitely help you to determine your 'why commercial law?' answer. Good luck this cycle!

Reactions: AnnieA

josephpayne

Standard Member
    Nov 28, 2023
    Hello TCLA members,

Good luck to us all this cycle and let’s support and cheer each other on! Yes we can to get inspired with definition essay ideas to improve communication skills, as it involves expressing abstract ideas !✨⚖️
    Hello Annie,

It's great to hear about your career change and your journey into law. Your background in Banking & Finance and MBA in Finance should certainly provide valuable insights as you pursue a career in commercial law and international trade. It's understandable that you're looking to join firms with strong trade finance practices given your interests.

Wishing you the best of luck in your endeavors, and I'm sure you'll do great things in your legal career! Keep pushing those boundaries.

Reactions: AnnieA

AnnieA

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 25, 2023
    Hello Annie,

It's great to hear about your career change and your journey into law. Your background in Banking & Finance and MBA in Finance should certainly provide valuable insights as you pursue a career in commercial law and international trade. It's understandable that you're looking to join firms with strong trade finance practices given your interests.

Wishing you the best of luck in your endeavors, and I'm sure you'll do great things in your legal career! Keep pushing those boundaries.
    Thank you josephpayne! Wish the best too.

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 18, 2022
    Hi Annie -
    Welcome! I am also a career changer and have just completed a vacation scheme at an MC firm and had secured another at a large international firm. I also previously had a business/finance-esque type background. Happy to chat or answer any questions you might have about the application process & applications and how to navigate them as a career changer.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.