Confused if I should continue or not for a TC is the question!

TCinpipeline

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2021
Hi - I am resuming my TCLA premium membership having been a member a year ago and wondered if someone can answer my questions as follows:-

1. Is there a deadline when my law degree and LPC will no longer be considered/accepted when applying for a training contract? I graduated from studying my law degree in 2011 and for the LPC in 2021.
2. I am limited to what law firms I can apply to on salary and looking for law firms not heavily focused on corporate and banking. I can't take a drop in salary due to having financial commitments. Will law firms accept me reapplying to them the following year if I am not success first time round? Also, what do they tend to look for in those that reapply?
3. I am a mature candidate with lot of legal work experience being a legal PA. Do firms not favour legal PAs applying for a TC? I have heard mixed feedback on this that they are only looking for fresh graduates. I cannot see this to be the case when law firms are open to career changers with transferable skills from other industries. I can only see that I am at an advantage with lots of knowledge of how law firms operate, etc. The firm I work currently at have graduates working as admin assistants to gain legal experience too.

I am getting very worried if I am unable to obtain a TC in the next year or so on the basis of my law degree getting dated now. I am also worried in terms of the limited firms not accepting me reapplying to them. I aim to apply to as many firms as I can this year with TCLA's help. However, I am wondering if I am the ONLY one with an old degree still applying and will my qualifications not be considered fresh/new compared to new graduates applying.

I have been successful in getting to the 2nd stage by one law firm after I attended that firm's open day. I was hoping attending law firm's open days would be my way into getting through the stages of other law firms. However, most only offer insight schemes to first year or second year graduates studying. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thank you very much :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
There are no time constraints on your law degree.

The LPC will be valid until 2032 - however most firms will be moving to the SQE this year, so be prepared that although your LPC is still valid, you may have to do the SQE2 assessments anyway.

Reapplying will depend on each firm’s policy. Most say you need to wait until the next recruitment year or 365 days until you reapply. Many people reapply though - it’s just about showing you are a different candidate to the one who applied previously. This can be done through gain more work experience/ refining your application though.

Being older is not an issue. I’ve seen trainees in their 30s and 40s at firms. The difficulty you may face is if you have been working at a law firm as a PA for sometime, why that firm hasn’t pushed you towards a training contract. There can be a (often wrong) assumption that you could have pursued qualifying in your previous/current firm if you have worked there for sometime.

You are definitely not the only one. There are hundreds of candidates like your self who did their law degree and/or LPC sometime ago.

TCinpipeline

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2021
Thank you Jessica. That has made me feel better that I’m not the only one in my situation.

I considered applying to my current firm previously. They would treat me like any other candidate with the exception of providing me with feedback. I did not apply due to it being heavily focused on corporate and banking. All trainees have to do a banking seat. I am looking to practise on the advisory side than areas focused on transaction documents. I don’t think a lot of graduates realise how document heavy some practice areas are and most of these lawyers spend their time on due diligence management of party’s comments going back and forth. I’d prefer a training contract undertaking research and drafting tasks. Anyhow, recognising how difficult it has been so far, it has prompted me to apply to my current firm so I’ll have to see how it goes.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.