Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
✨Spreadsheet update✨ courtesy of @Sharon Wu
  • 54 Rejections
  • latest rejection - Mofo
  • Hardest rejection - Pinsent Masons (post AC for TC) + Simmons & Simmons (post AC for internship x SVS)
  • Easiest rejection - DLA piper
  • Ghosted me - Stephenson Harwood
  • Best graduate recruitment - Farrer & Co + Goodwin (I’ve never laughed on the phone soo much with grad rec in my life)🤣
  • Tedious Application process - BBC (App, Test, VI + written task, 1,000 word written task and AC if you're lucky)
  • VS offers - Goodwin + Farrer & Co
  • AC invites - 4
  • Applications remaining - 4
I was rejected by WBD, HL & Bakers all in 1 day basically 🤣 not sure how I felt about that tbh and Bakers kinda stung 🥲 but we move!!

Mayer Brown have risen from the dead 💀 with an invite to take their SJT test 😄 5 months after applying thought they ghosted me😌

Mofo actually gave me a rejection 🥳 I assume this is because I emailed gaslighting them into giving my me one and not ghosting me 🤣

I submitted my Farrer TC application with a few amendments from my VS application.

Everytime I see someone post about SH and not hearing back makes me chuckle as I’ve not heard back from my winter VS app last year… hang in there 😅😂

In terms of prepping for my VS I’ve not done much 😳 I’ve chronically been on LinkedIn 🤣 I shall reduce this starting from today! I have finally got myself a mentor at one of the firms which is great as I am able to get some more insight. As well as provisionally getting a Coffee chat in too. I’m going to start working om my commercial awareness again starting Monday! I didn’t want to start prepping too early and drowning myself in stuff I probably won’t need to know…

Ive learnt that many who go into a VS don’t do excessive research and just take it one day at a time. Cool calm casual is my approach (I hope it works)😅

I’ve connected with a bunch of partners, trainees and even HR members to get a view of the firms from different perspectives as well as see the type of work they do and what they post/like on LinkedIn.

I’m still waiting to hear what department I’ll be sat in for Goodwin and once I know then I’ll tailor any ‘prep’ I do to that area but it’ll be basic stuff like terminology, partners, clients etc. my aim is to be able to speak to people about work but also just life.

With a US firm especially you’ll be working 12/15 hr days and if we aren’t able to talk about none work stuff it gets pretty awkward no?🤣 I want them to see me as more than just this eager person who wants a job but someone who has personality and character.

But if there’s anything anyone is doing to prep that will be of some use please do let me know I don’t want to mess this up at all😭
This is such an amazing update! Thanks for sharing and good luck on your Goodwin vacation scheme! It is going to be amazing and if you decide to choose the firm I am sure I will be seeing you soon too!

A massive good luck from me!

• 🤝
Reactions: Legalstalker

Sharon Wu

Esteemed Member
Oct 27, 2023
@Jessica Booker or Anyone

Is the rejection correct? I called them up today to query it as I believe I have met the entry requirements but they said I need to wait a few days/weeks.

I got a 1st and sent proof of this. So would this be the universities mistake or am I just not reading correctly 😅

My back up course LLM intellectual property. But they said I’d need to apply for that separately.

(This is just a back up route if I don’t get a TC)
Perhaps it’s an intercalated LLM. That’s a masters for medical students on medical degrees. Perhaps they have two medical law masters and you applied to the incorrect one...

It’s very common for medical students to do intercalated degrees or masters programmes and for unis to have specific courses for them.

It’s common to have two pathways, one for entrants outside of medical school and one for those in it... I think double check the course number...

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    That doesn't sound right, I have a friend at Durham on that course. He did law at Durham not a medical degree or anything. Hopefully it was just a mistake!
    Ooo okay thank you will query this again as it’s pretty odd as the modules aren’t
    Super technical in terms of scientific knowledge required as for a medical degree.

Perhaps it’s an intercalated LLM. That’s a masters for medical students on medical degrees. Perhaps they have two medical law masters and you applied to the incorrect one...

It’s very common for medical students to do intercalated degrees or masters programmes and for unis to have specific courses for them.

It’s common to have two pathways, one for entrants outside of medical school and one for those in it... I think double check the course number...

Thanks this is the right code!

Abe it says they take law students. I’ve checked LinkedIn and there are people who study this LLM with a law degree.

From what I gathered from the wording it states “one of the following” and I meet the former🤔

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker or Anyone

Is the rejection correct? I called them up today to query it as I believe I have met the entry requirements but they said I need to wait a few days/weeks.

I got a 1st and sent proof of this. So would this be the universities mistake or am I just not reading correctly 😅

My back up course LLM intellectual property. But they said I’d need to apply for that separately.

(This is just a back up route if I don’t get a TC)
    To me their response suggests that the medical degree has now become an absolute requirement rather than one of the potential criteria. I would wait for them to respond though, as it could be a mistake at their end.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    My Vacation Scheme starts next week and i'm pretty excited!

I need to cram in some commercial awareness over the weekend but other than that feeling very good.

Now there is no reason for me to feel confident as i have done no prep whatsoever haha

I have 3 coffee chats lined up which was very hard to get. Never messaging on LinkedIn again haha email only as the replies were 10x faster.

The future trainees and even current trainees are amazing! the help and advice i have got is crazy. People are unapologetically nice. I even asked a trainee to be my mentor which they agreed to. If i don't convert i will be devastated but will be happy for those who do get it as the culture soo far is outstanding and the diversity is the best i have seen soo far for a US firm.

If anyone who has done a vacation scheme has any advice please do spill the tea.

Last edited:

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    My VS experience

Vac scheme completed and I'm absolutely shattered!! I really don't understand how people do these things back to back with other schemes let alone doing 2 week ones. Although my one was very jam packed having been 1 week so super understandable.

I will say i had a great experience, the others on the scheme were great and made the week super enjoyable. I do believe the people you're with make or break it. I did go in with no expectations as i had never done a vs before and i believe this was the best way to approach it. Albeit i would've helped if i prepped a bit more but it was soo doable if you hadn't prepped as they teach you everything. no need to do any legal prep in the slightest as they teach you researching, IT etc. It really is made for a level playing field if you're non-law and as a law grad i think it was great to see that.

The basic financial terms are defo needed knowing warranties, indemnities etc are a must as when you are assessed through group or written assessments it would look good if you knew the basics of what investors look for in businesses and how they would tackle these issues.

I would also recommend knowing the firms key sectors and a little information on these area as your assessments/interview could be based on the firms key sectors. But this could be very firm specific but i doesn't hurt to learn and know a little more about the place you'll be attending.

I found my supervisor to be AMAZING!!! He was genuinely the best and broke everything down for me as if i wasfresh to earth lmao. Even with a legal background they don't expect you to know everything and they really want you to learn. Do not approach the scheme as if you know everything as it would be pointless in you being there if they can sense you want to show you know everything.

I personally booked coffee chats before and during my scheme as there were people i really wanted to met and didn't want their schedule to get busy. DO NOT just focus on getting chats with partners. I met a range of people, trainee, associate, counsel and partners. All were helpful but the trainees give you a true insight to the firm so don't think they are below you as they are really not and you will probably find out the most information from them. I will say only trainees and associates took me out for coffee partners did not but that is very subjective as i know others who had partners take them out. I also think this is down to their workload and not wanting to leave when they have a lot on.

Try to book meetings before friday! especially if you are on a one week scheme. A lot of firms are hybrid so many are not in on a friday. Luckily for us most came in as we were there but every firm is different so try to book them before friday as things can change and they may want to stay home lol. I would also say don't leave your networking until the last day. I did see a few on my scheme who decided to not meet anyone mid week and leave it all until friday where they were hit with people working from home or super busy. having 10 vac schemers wanting to meet you on their last day also looks like they weren't a priority and you just met them because you had time? This is just my opinion though and they may not think like that. Some may argue to leave networking to the last day and focus on the work you are given mid week! do what suits you best but i did my networking through the week and on the friday and was super free and just used that time to proof read any work i had, going to other departments and shadowing trainees or assisting my supervisor on his work.

I also would not pay attention to where the other vac schemers are in their journey. on my one there were 2nd year students to paralegals different age ranges and personalities. I didn't feel like a 2nd year would get it over me as i was a graduate as that's not what all firms look at. I really did believe there was a level playing field and they don't just take you on as you're young and easy to mould... well that's the impression i got from the firm i went to. A lot of the trainees joined the firm as grads or last year non law students. It was super diverse and we heard lots of different journeys even career changers.

Myself and the other vac schemers had a whatsapp group chat prior to starting which i think was helpful to get to know each other but also on the scheme we'd message and ask who wanted to go to lunch with each other and would meet up. i think this was great for us as it allowed us to get to know people we hadn't interacted with through workshops or prior. I would most definitely class some of these guys as my friends as they were just soo nice and it was great to hear what everyone was up to aside from applications and see what firms they will be attending in the summer for other schemes. This also helped when we were at socials we were able to meet up etc.

All 20 of us went to both socials that were arranged for us this was optional but everyone knows you must go to them haha and realistically i loved the socials they were great and no one left early. we all stayed and some stayed even later to speak to trainees and others at the firm. Also made for good conversation the next day. You are never pressured to drink and they always had soft drink options. I opted for both and i never felt awkward not having alcohol. There were vegan, halal, gulten free and veggie options for all food we were given so very inclusive they did this without asking us but if you did have dietary reqs you could ask.

I had reasonable adjustments for my written assessment and the firm was soo happy to accommodate. I didn't have to declare before the scheme either. they really made sure i had everything i needed and more. Normally i feel weird asking fo rextra time but grad rec made me feel super comfortable no questions asked. I also felt like this wouldn't be put against me or my application. It was just amazing to see this much support. I wasn't the only person who needed adjustments.

All workshop/sessions we had were insightful and a lot of us were definitely between practice areas once hearing the teams talk. teams i wouldn't even consider joining for a seat made me want to join them and i know a lot of others felt the same. The grad rec team did a great job organising and everything was on track.

We all got to selected our 3 top practices we want to sit in for the week some got their first and others their 2nd i don't think anyone got their 3rd but most got their first and that is great i got my 2nd and was chuffed. Everyone was soooo welcoming it's like i already knew them. Everyone morning i wen ti n a littl earlier to greet everyone in my team and i spoke to every single person too. i felt that it was important ot understand why people do what they do and why they enjoy it . I was given some great tips. SPEAK TO EVERYONE not just the lawyers. analysts, secretaries the lot speak to them all they will help you when needed and they are a part of the firm too. I had help from out teams researcher and she gave some great tips for practical law and lexis nexus i wish i knew whilst at university haha.

I'm not sure what else to include but happy to answer questions if anyone has any. Overall i had a great time but it was really draining on the body lol but i didn't really feel it that much in the week i can feel it now today that i am back at work. I loved it and i think many others did too. now to keep my fingers crossed. (pls do bare with my grammar and spelling i am writing this at work very fast)

Sharon Wu

Esteemed Member
    Oct 27, 2023
    My VS experience

Vac scheme completed and I'm absolutely shattered!! I really don't understand how people do these things back to back with other schemes let alone doing 2 week ones. Although my one was very jam packed having been 1 week so super understandable.

I will say i had a great experience, the others on the scheme were great and made the week super enjoyable. I do believe the people you're with make or break it. I did go in with no expectations as i had never done a vs before and i believe this was the best way to approach it. Albeit i would've helped if i prepped a bit more but it was soo doable if you hadn't prepped as they teach you everything. no need to do any legal prep in the slightest as they teach you researching, IT etc. It really is made for a level playing field if you're non-law and as a law grad i think it was great to see that.

The basic financial terms are defo needed knowing warranties, indemnities etc are a must as when you are assessed through group or written assessments it would look good if you knew the basics of what investors look for in businesses and how they would tackle these issues.

I would also recommend knowing the firms key sectors and a little information on these area as your assessments/interview could be based on the firms key sectors. But this could be very firm specific but i doesn't hurt to learn and know a little more about the place you'll be attending.

I found my supervisor to be AMAZING!!! He was genuinely the best and broke everything down for me as if i wasfresh to earth lmao. Even with a legal background they don't expect you to know everything and they really want you to learn. Do not approach the scheme as if you know everything as it would be pointless in you being there if they can sense you want to show you know everything.

I personally booked coffee chats before and during my scheme as there were people i really wanted to met and didn't want their schedule to get busy. DO NOT just focus on getting chats with partners. I met a range of people, trainee, associate, counsel and partners. All were helpful but the trainees give you a true insight to the firm so don't think they are below you as they are really not and you will probably find out the most information from them. I will say only trainees and associates took me out for coffee partners did not but that is very subjective as i know others who had partners take them out. I also think this is down to their workload and not wanting to leave when they have a lot on.

Try to book meetings before friday! especially if you are on a one week scheme. A lot of firms are hybrid so many are not in on a friday. Luckily for us most came in as we were there but every firm is different so try to book them before friday as things can change and they may want to stay home lol. I would also say don't leave your networking until the last day. I did see a few on my scheme who decided to not meet anyone mid week and leave it all until friday where they were hit with people working from home or super busy. having 10 vac schemers wanting to meet you on their last day also looks like they weren't a priority and you just met them because you had time? This is just my opinion though and they may not think like that. Some may argue to leave networking to the last day and focus on the work you are given mid week! do what suits you best but i did my networking through the week and on the friday and was super free and just used that time to proof read any work i had, going to other departments and shadowing trainees or assisting my supervisor on his work.

I also would not pay attention to where the other vac schemers are in their journey. on my one there were 2nd year students to paralegals different age ranges and personalities. I didn't feel like a 2nd year would get it over me as i was a graduate as that's not what all firms look at. I really did believe there was a level playing field and they don't just take you on as you're young and easy to mould... well that's the impression i got from the firm i went to. A lot of the trainees joined the firm as grads or last year non law students. It was super diverse and we heard lots of different journeys even career changers.

Myself and the other vac schemers had a whatsapp group chat prior to starting which i think was helpful to get to know each other but also on the scheme we'd message and ask who wanted to go to lunch with each other and would meet up. i think this was great for us as it allowed us to get to know people we hadn't interacted with through workshops or prior. I would most definitely class some of these guys as my friends as they were just soo nice and it was great to hear what everyone was up to aside from applications and see what firms they will be attending in the summer for other schemes. This also helped when we were at socials we were able to meet up etc.

All 20 of us went to both socials that were arranged for us this was optional but everyone knows you must go to them haha and realistically i loved the socials they were great and no one left early. we all stayed and some stayed even later to speak to trainees and others at the firm. Also made for good conversation the next day. You are never pressured to drink and they always had soft drink options. I opted for both and i never felt awkward not having alcohol. There were vegan, halal, gulten free and veggie options for all food we were given so very inclusive they did this without asking us but if you did have dietary reqs you could ask.

I had reasonable adjustments for my written assessment and the firm was soo happy to accommodate. I didn't have to declare before the scheme either. they really made sure i had everything i needed and more. Normally i feel weird asking fo rextra time but grad rec made me feel super comfortable no questions asked. I also felt like this wouldn't be put against me or my application. It was just amazing to see this much support. I wasn't the only person who needed adjustments.

All workshop/sessions we had were insightful and a lot of us were definitely between practice areas once hearing the teams talk. teams i wouldn't even consider joining for a seat made me want to join them and i know a lot of others felt the same. The grad rec team did a great job organising and everything was on track.

We all got to selected our 3 top practices we want to sit in for the week some got their first and others their 2nd i don't think anyone got their 3rd but most got their first and that is great i got my 2nd and was chuffed. Everyone was soooo welcoming it's like i already knew them. Everyone morning i wen ti n a littl earlier to greet everyone in my team and i spoke to every single person too. i felt that it was important ot understand why people do what they do and why they enjoy it . I was given some great tips. SPEAK TO EVERYONE not just the lawyers. analysts, secretaries the lot speak to them all they will help you when needed and they are a part of the firm too. I had help from out teams researcher and she gave some great tips for practical law and lexis nexus i wish i knew whilst at university haha.

I'm not sure what else to include but happy to answer questions if anyone has any. Overall i had a great time but it was really draining on the body lol but i didn't really feel it that much in the week i can feel it now today that i am back at work. I loved it and i think many others did too. now to keep my fingers crossed. (pls do bare with my grammar and spelling i am writing this at work very fast)
    Thanks for a detailed insight into your VS. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

• Love

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022
    My VS experience

Well done 👏 all the best for the final outcome. Manifesting good news for you 🙏

• Love

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.