Spontaneous TC Journey

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Hey Guys,

Quite late documenting my journey but i thought it'd be better than on the forums!

I am a recent law graduate from a Non RG, I am currently in a graduate job. This is my first cycle and I decided to apply for TC/VS opportunities in late September.

Particularly interested in Life sciences, Technology & IP sector.

Statistics
    58 Applications
    • 30 VS applications
    • 18 TC applications
    • 4 SQE/Graduate solicitor
    • 2 10K interns
    • 5 open days (rejected from them all) :)
    "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
    • 42 Rejections
    • latest rejection - Reed Smith
    • Hardest rejection - Fieldfisher
    • Easiest rejection - DLA piper
    • Ghosted me - Stephenson Harwood :(
    • Best graduate recruitment - Simmons
    • Tedious Application process - BBC + Linklaters
    My Current applications!
    IMG_1537.jpeg

If any firms see this and they want a resilient trainee TAKE ME😅(pls, I’m begging you I can’t stand amberjack assessments anymore)

Not sure how to end my first post but I am excited to share my journey with you all and welcome any comments or questions! Always happy to help others if needed :)

Last edited:

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022
    Keep going. I’m a graduate too and in my second cycle with the added pressure of being an international student. Have applied to a total of 25 law firms for VS and TC. Been rejected from 22. Waiting on W&C, HL and Travers (funny thing is they dumped me for the winter scheme but I still went ahead and reapplied for summer 🤣 don’t have any hopes tho). Hardest rejection - Reed Smith. My brain’s been jolted since this PFO and I can’t seem to think straight. But when I hear stories like yours, they inspire me so much. Trust me, this process is so tiring. I feel like a dead soul with a moving body. Really hope our efforts pay off soon!!!

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Keep going. I’m a graduate too and in my second cycle with the added pressure of being an international student. Have applied to a total of 25 law firms for VS and TC. Been rejected from 22. Waiting on W&C, HL and Travers (funny thing is they dumped me for the winter scheme but I still went ahead and reapplied for summer 🤣 don’t have any hopes tho). Hardest rejection - Reed Smith. My brain’s been jolted since this PFO and I can’t seem to think straight. But when I hear stories like yours, they inspire me so much. Trust me, this process is so tiring. I feel like a dead soul with a moving body. Really hope our efforts pay off soon!!!
    Niceee! It is super hard for international students I really do envy you all :)
    i’ve had my fair share of frustrating rejections HSF comes to mind. Why tell someone they passed the test only to decline them of an AC😭

good going applying for Travers again! This is my 3rd application to HL this cycle, I will force my way into that firm if I have to🤣

Reactions: Sharon Wu and AlexJ

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    update:

• 43 Rejections
    • latest rejection - Freshfields
    • Hardest rejection - Fieldfisher + Bank of England
    I have a week of rest before my AC next week which is nice

Today has been a little weird lol

I had an interview with Goodwin, rejection from Freshfields and did my VI for WBD.

Feeling kinda proud i was about to do a VI and actual interview.

As for the Goodwin interview itself, i really enjoyed it and the partners were lovely i fel t as though i conveyed my reasons fir wanted to work there very well to them but i fear me mentioning i had AC's at a bunch of other firms will put them off especially as one of the partners highlighted they were not all US firms...

Does it look bad that i didn't list a bunch of US firms when they asked me how my applications were going?
    I know they want competitive candidates but i think they may see me as someone who wants a TC and anywhere but it is not really true. I don't want to work somewhere that lacks D&I as well as somewhere that doesn't excel in the areas i want to practice in. Or is me mentioning my AC's a good thing?

I also asked some difficult questions when they asked me to ask them questions so not sure if that will counter into the decision?
    Are the questions you ask back marked?

I think i am having a little brain fog and need a nap.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    • 45 Rejections
    • latest rejection - Charles RS
    • Hardest rejection - Pinsent
    • Applications remaining - 12

currently attempting to do Withers online test but it’s soo long I dijt think I have the energy to do another online assessment. Update: assessment expired

I’m soo burnt out going onto my emails makes me sad. I am living in fear of getting a Goodwin PFO and if I do I’ll full on cry. I replay my interview in my head a million times and wish there were things I could’ve done better? I know the interview went well but I could’ve said soo much more when they asked “tell me about yourself“ I mentioned no scholarships or anything. I had soo much more to give and now it plays on my mind even in my dreams.

my sleep schedule is a mess I’m awake all night and get tired at 6:30am but I leave to go to work at that time. I spend all my time at work checking my emails or the forum incase there’s an update.

soo many have got VS offers some even 2 and I’m truly happy for them but it just feels like I’m being left behind in a way. I’m normally quite positive but when yiu really want something and you don’t know if they want you it’s pretty hard. It’s soo competitive and I just think why would a firm of such calibre take me who didn’t go to the best university or speaks multiple languages over someone who does the above and goes to open days etc.

i love to meet people and in my interviews I feel the most confident ever never stumble on my words and know what I’m saying is correct but then maybe I’m coming off as too confident too easy going and that I know the process as what one partner picked out when I said I had other AC’s.

ohh well I guess it’s just a part of the process and it takes one yes so they say 😅

flower

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 31, 2023
    As for the Goodwin interview itself, i really enjoyed it and the partners were lovely i fel t as though i conveyed my reasons fir wanted to work there very well to them but i fear me mentioning i had AC's at a bunch of other firms will put them off especially as one of the partners highlighted they were not all US firms...
    You mentioned that you were able to convey your interest in the firm quite well, so I wouldn't worry too much about this tbh. I think, if anything, it will show them that you're a highly sought-after candidate, with both US and UK firms alike being keen to interview you. There's definitely a positive side to this, as well! :]

• 🤝
    Reactions: Sharon Wu and Legalstalker

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    You mentioned that you were able to convey your interest in the firm quite well, so I wouldn't worry too much about this tbh. I think, if anything, it will show them that you're a highly sought-after candidate, with both US and UK firms alike being keen to interview you. There's definitely a positive side to this, as well! :]
    Thank you!! I think I’m just stressing out, I normally move on but this one has really got to me Especially as I thought my performance was good at Pinsent (not intray😭)

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Aga123+

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    • 45 Rejections
    • latest rejection - Charles RS
    • Applications remaining - 12

currently attempting to do Withers online test but it’s soo long I dijt think I have the energy to do another online assessment. Update: assessment expired

I’m soo burnt out going onto my emails makes me sad. I am living in fear of getting a Goodwin PFO and if I do I’ll full on cry. I replay my interview in my head a million times and wish there were things I could’ve done better? I know the interview went well but I could’ve said soo much more when they asked “tell me about yourself“ I mentioned no scholarships or anything. I had soo much more to give and now it plays on my mind even in my dreams.

my sleep schedule is a mess I’m awake all night and get tired at 6:30am but I leave to go to work at that time. I spend all my time at work checking my emails or the forum incase there’s an update.

soo many have got VS offers some even 2 and I’m truly happy for them but it just feels like I’m being left behind in a way. I’m normally quite positive but when yiu really want something and you don’t know if they want you it’s pretty hard. It’s soo competitive and I just think why would a firm of such calibre take me who didn’t go to the best university or speaks multiple languages over someone who does the above and goes to open days etc.

i love to meet people and in my interviews I feel the most confident ever never stumble on my words and know what I’m saying is correct but then maybe I’m coming off as too confident too easy going and that I know the process as what one partner picked out when I said I had other AC’s.

ohh well I guess it’s just a part of the process and it takes one yes so they say 😅

It's a tough process but hang in there - as you said, it only takes one!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Sharon Wu and Legalstalker

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    • 46 Rejections
    • latest rejection - Dentons
    • Best graduate recruitment - Simmons + Farrer & Co
    • AC invites - 4
    • Applications remaining - 11

Dentons rejection today after I had emailed yesterday requesting an update!

Had a mini heart attack as a saw a notification from candid and thought it was Goodwin 🧐

Last edited:

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    hang in there!!! just takes one :) also I'm so curious as to how you found the time to research and apply to 45 firms!! how many did you write a day and what was your approach?
    Hey thanks!

I made most applications in October/November when they had deadlines for January. I have a word doc that has paragraphs for a range of questions "a commercial news story you're interested in" "personal hobbies or interests" "area of law you want to change and why"

I also have a list of things i am looking for in a firm e.g. area, international focus, awards, training structure. 0- i had a paragraph that was basic and explained why i liked the 4x6 training contract, why i wanted international firm or things i seen the firm do through their early careers social media pages.

I must say i didn't do massive amounts of research for every firm as some i preferred more than others. Most looked at test scores etc so i would apply to a bunch when i knew i had a free weekend to complete tests back to back (this method was very bad as a failed loads). I also took 2 weeks off of work to apply to firms hence why so many of the firms i applied to were in November. I would also fill out applications with all my info, work experience and and pre written answers i had and only focused on the ones that had to be tailored to the firm i would spend a few hours as it was only 1 question of "why do yo want to work here" or "what attracts you to x". So i could easily send out 2/3 apps a day as i was only researching for 1 or 2 questions.

Rejection fuelled me to apply to more and more. I got an AC with PwC in November for a grad job and knew that if i was good enough to get an AC at a big 4 i can apply anywhere!!! Imposter syndrome is something i fought when i looked at all the adversity i had overcome. I really do think apply is a mental game .

do not delay applications there's no point if your rejected post app move on there are soo many firms! it hurts more if you are rejected post VI or AC. I would also say i never knew how to write applications well in October so many of them failed badly. I would now say i am much better but i am too burnt out to fill out another one. I would say my strong point is being personable in my VI's i smile and don't look too serious, if i mess up i continue.

3000to1shoteverytime

Distinguished Member
    Dec 9, 2023
    Thanks for this. I already have a big4 job offer post graduation. I have gotten though to so many VI and later stages but rejected after (x) ACs , but still awaiting outcome of another but feel less hopeful after previous rejections. Totally get the "early applications" not being as well written as the later ones and if I need another cycle then so be it.

So I am doing something right and am usually told I am personable and likeable so find it strange I can't seem to convert an AC or VI to a vac scheme. At what point should I just take the big4 job.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Thanks for this. I already have a big4 job offer post graduation. I have gotten though to so many VI and later stages but rejected after (x) ACs , but still awaiting outcome of another but feel less hopeful after previous rejections. Totally get the "early applications" not being as well written as the later ones and if I need another cycle then so be it.

So I am doing something right and am usually told I am personable and likeable so find it strange I can't seem to convert an AC or VI to a vac scheme. At what point should I just take the big4 job.
    Congrats on the job offer!! such an achievement!

Definitely take the job! i got a grad job early in my last year of uni and accepted. I was also interviewing for legal opportunities. don't shut one door waiting for another to open! work your grad job and tbh you may even have the opportunity to work in the companies in house legal department as 3/4 big 4 that i know have a legal team with vacation schemes available.

Plus your work experience will be soo valuable as you can really express how good your commercial awareness if s
    due to the nature of your work. you have really been blessed getting that job before a TC it'll help you soo much tackle AC's with writing emails and solving case studies.

Maybe think i am soo likeable that the client would see me more as a friend than a lawyer and that's why they don't want to progress me? I guess you need to have balance.
    Sorry if this made no sense i am really tired lmao

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    Hey thanks!

I made most applications in October/November when they had deadlines for January. I have a word doc that has paragraphs for a range of questions "a commercial news story you're interested in" "personal hobbies or interests" "area of law you want to change and why"

I also have a list of things i am looking for in a firm e.g. area, international focus, awards, training structure. 0- i had a paragraph that was basic and explained why i liked the 4x6 training contract, why i wanted international firm or things i seen the firm do through their early careers social media pages.

I must say i didn't do massive amounts of research for every firm as some i preferred more than others. Most looked at test scores etc so i would apply to a bunch when i knew i had a free weekend to complete tests back to back (this method was very bad as a failed loads). I also took 2 weeks off of work to apply to firms hence why so many of the firms i applied to were in November. I would also fill out applications with all my info, work experience and and pre written answers i had and only focused on the ones that had to be tailored to the firm i would spend a few hours as it was only 1 question of "why do yo want to work here" or "what attracts you to x". So i could easily send out 2/3 apps a day as i was only researching for 1 or 2 questions.

Rejection fuelled me to apply to more and more. I got an AC with PwC in November for a grad job and knew that if i was good enough to get an AC at a big 4 i can apply anywhere!!! Imposter syndrome is something i fought when i looked at all the adversity i had overcome. I really do think apply is a mental game .

do not delay applications there's no point if your rejected post app move on there are soo many firms! it hurts more if you are rejected post VI or AC. I would also say i never knew how to write applications well in October so many of them failed badly. I would now say i am much better but i am too burnt out to fill out another one. I would say my strong point is being personable in my VI's i smile and don't look too serious, if i mess up i continue.
    super work ethic haha! thank you for the response and best of luck!!! have you secured a vs or waiting to hear back?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.