Spontaneous TC Journey

yasmars

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
Weekly spreadsheet update ✨
View attachment 5875

Decided to not include my direct TC apps as I don’t know if I’ll submit them anymore. I might do my Howard Kennedy one as that’s half completed.

Happy to get Hill Dickinson assessment invite, feels like I applied months ago lol. Should hear back from WBD 25th March, my post test feedback was decent but VI not so much!

I called AG for an update so should hear back next week (they’re still doing AC’s) crazy. Also called Hogan and she said she’d call me back but it’s after 7pm so I doubt it.

Haven’t got a Kennedys VI so patiently waiting 4 months since I applied.

Simmons Simmons Simmons ughhh 3 weeks post AC no news I’ve called and it’s gone to voicemail and I just want to know if I got it or not lol. I understand they’re busy but 3 weeks is torture. I thought I did pretty good too so the waiting game continues.

Feeling super proud this week and the support is unwavering! I need to add some of you lovely people on LinkedIn as my connections are pretty whack lol
AG said we should hear back this week?

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    • 49 Rejections
    • latest rejection - Addleshaw Goddard
    • Hardest rejection - Pinsent Masons (post AC for TC)
    • Easiest rejection - DLA piper
    • Ghosted me - Stephenson Harwood, Mayer Brown & Mofo :(
    • Best graduate recruitment - Farrer & Co
    • Tedious Application process - BBC (App, Test, VI + written task, 1,000 word written task and AC if you're lucky)
    • VS offers - Goodwin + Farrer & Co
    • AC invites - 4
    • Applications remaining - 5
    7 weeks post test to get a rejection and they have been running AC's for the past 5 weeks...

5 applications left :eek:

I passed Kennedys Test and got a VI invite which I plan to do either Tomorrow or Sunday.

Going to do my Hill Dickinson test today and do the VI on Friday.

Womble Bond Dickinson 25th March for an update.

Spoke to Hogan Lovells regarding TC apps and they said by the end of March, although I suspect a PFO after my WG atrocity.

Simmons 4 weeks post AC silence is really testing my patience so thanks for that Simmons appreciate it x

Lovely seeing everyone's application journeys on the VS thread! really does put into perspective there is no 1 shoe fits all kind of route to a VS or TC and I encourage more people to share even if you don't have a VS yet it's good to look back on your progression for when you do secure one. 😀

Getting 12 AC's in one cycle is eye watering to say the least haha

Sharon Wu

Esteemed Member
    Oct 27, 2023
    • 49 Rejections
    • latest rejection - Addleshaw Goddard
    • Hardest rejection - Pinsent Masons (post AC for TC)
    • Tedious Application process - BBC (App, Test, VI + written task, 1,000 word written task and AC if you're lucky)
    • AC invites - 4
    • Applications remaining - 5
    7 weeks post test to get a rejection and they have been running AC's for the past 5 weeks...

5 applications left :eek:

I passed Kennedys Test and got a VI invite which I plan to do either Tomorrow or Sunday.

Going to do my Hill Dickinson test today and do the VI on Friday.

Womble Bond Dickinson 25th March for an update.

Spoke to Hogan Lovells regarding TC apps and they said by the end of March, although I suspect a PFO after my WG atrocity.

Simmons 4 weeks post AC silence is really testing my patience so thanks for that Simmons appreciate it x

Lovely seeing everyone's application journeys on the VS thread! really does put into perspective there is no 1 shoe fits all kind of route to a VS or TC and I encourage more people to share even if you don't have a VS yet it's good to look back on your progression for when you do secure one. 😀

Getting 12 AC's in one cycle is eye watering to say the least haha
    I'm also awaiting HL and Hill Dickinson and have the WBD assessment to do.
    (I didn't apply to Kennedys. I applied to Simmons and sat their test, but they responded "we are now at capacity for our Summer Vacation Scheme and are unable to progress your application to the next stage of our assessment process"... I guess they have a number of suitable candidates to choose from, of which you are one. Good Luck).

It will all be worth it in the end, even if its just a single TC offer.

In 10 years time, we wont even remember having written 40/50+ applications...
    6 months of pain for a lifetime of pleasure... We will get there 🥳

Last edited:

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Ahh no way, do you know roughly when you got that email from Simmons? I’ve not heard back and others have maybe I’m not that suitable 😭

Hopefully good news for HL and Hill Dickinson for you! Good luck with WBD assessment it was fairly quick to do tbh.

a career in law equals a lifetime of pleasure?!?🤣 Nahh im joking i agree it’ll all be a distance memory in a few years just gotta get the offer to make it one :)

Reactions: legalgrinch

Sharon Wu

Esteemed Member
    Oct 27, 2023
    Ahh no way, do you know roughly when you got that email from Simmons? I’ve not heard back and others have maybe I’m not that suitable 😭

Hopefully good news for HL and Hill Dickinson for you! Good luck with WBD assessment it was fairly quick to do tbh.

a career in law equals a lifetime of pleasure?!?🤣 Nahh im joking i agree it’ll all be a distance memory in a few years just gotta get the offer to make it one :)
    Simmons email was sent on Fri 9 Feb

Reactions: Legalstalker

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    • 50 Rejections
    • latest rejection - Simmons & Simmons
    • Hardest rejection - Pinsent Masons (post AC for TC) + Simmons & Simmons (post AC for internship x SVS)
    • AC invites - 4
    • Applications remaining - 4

Simmons rejecting me as fuelled a vengeance I have never felt before. I am grateful I have other VS in place but wow knowing you did great and still got rejected is insane. same feeling with Pinsent but I knew I had actually messed up the in tray there. Whereas i felt my performance for Simmons was undeniably good.

I applied through 10k interns and Simmons offered 2 routes, Internship with a TC consideration or Internship only. I am yet to hear from a person who applied for a former get an offer and only heard of rejections so far and a latter offer. This rejection has pushed me to want to do better but like how? I thought I had done good... 4 weeks post AC is very irritating to say the least as they obviously knew who was successful as they had given out offers over a week ago with the deadline to accept being today.

Half completed my Hill Dickinson test yesterday it was soo boring i can't do another amberjack i think my brain won't let me haha I do plan to complete this today if i can find the brain power lol. Will do my Kennedys VI today i think? But a family member has passed away so i maybe i should mourn? is there time to mourn when Simmons has ruined your day 😭 Ugh my positive light is slowly burning out help haha

awh_aysha

Mar 9, 2024
    Congrats on the job offer!! such an achievement!

Definitely take the job! i got a grad job early in my last year of uni and accepted. I was also interviewing for legal opportunities. don't shut one door waiting for another to open! work your grad job and tbh you may even have the opportunity to work in the companies in house legal department as 3/4 big 4 that i know have a legal team with vacation schemes available.

Plus your work experience will be soo valuable as you can really express how good your commercial awareness if s
    due to the nature of your work. you have really been blessed getting that job before a TC it'll help you soo much tackle AC's with writing emails and solving case studies.

Maybe think i am soo likeable that the client would see me more as a friend than a lawyer and that's why they don't want to progress me? I guess you need to have balance.
    Sorry if this made no sense i am really tired lmao
    Hi,
    Sorry I’m fairly new to this but I’ve came across the CILEx route, if you wish to become a solicitor but can’t get a training contract but you have a job in a law firm, the CILEx route is really good to become a legal executive lawyer. After this, you can take the SQE (and with 2 years of processional experience) become a solicitor.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Weekly spreadsheet update ✨

C6E5AA4F-A2BC-4DCE-96E7-600B2E32B2C2.jpeg

Not much has changed apart from my Simmons rejection 🌝

I‘ve removed my Farrer offer from my list as I’m not allowed to post on social media as of yet. Is this social media? Like it’s not an app or anything it’s a forum… but would that identify as social media I dunno I’m a tad bit stupid 😂

I just completed my Kennedys VI and boy was it shocking. My brother (he’s 8) came in and started talking to me whilst I did it then when I went to record the second time my mother called me. So that’s a definite rejection.

i have around 7 hours to do my Hill Dickinson one and I really can’t be asked. I may tap out 😭

I’ve decided to focus my energy into my current offers mostly and do the best research I can. I May only apply to Bakers and Orrick direct TC! I need to do my Farrer TC application ASAP!! I just don’t get why VS holders have to do another application it’s oh so time consuming. What happens if I’m rejected post app for TC I do the VS and they say they want to fast track me to second interview for TC but I was rejected months prior… this is a dilemma I really dont understand the solution for.

Is it only me who hates messaging on this forum? like the text box on this forum is soo sensitive I struggle to type I always make mistakes it’s like auto correct does not work properly ugh.

I’ve also had an influx of messages regarding Pinsent and Simmons AC so if you have either drop me a message I have run down of what to expect for both that I’ll just send to you if needed.

I think my cycle is over as it is a PFO from HL and the others I won’t make AC for as I think my effort just wasnt there for all 3 of them. All that’s left to do is CONVERT CONVERT CONVERT!!! (Any advice is appreciated)

Guys, girls and humans if I don’t convert I don’t think I’ll be so optimistic next cycle… I’ll be the grinch 🤣 I just need to ensure I don’t let those on the schemes educational backgrounds and experience intimidate me. I have a lot ridding right now on these and I feel like as a graduate I’m getting oldddd (I‘m 22). I’m even looking for mortgages with the TC in mind Lmao! I am no way on earth financially ready for the commitment of one but a girl can dream no?💀

Whole lot of waffle in todays update hope everyone is hanging on in there!!

I went on my Swedish reward trip for getting my Goodwin VS and it was amazing! Celebrate your wins even if you book them spontaneously and leave you bankrupt after 🤧🥴

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Okay just completed the Hill Dickinson assessment in a t shirt and hoodie lmao

I got 4,7,6,3 honestly bombed that soo bad 😮🤣 I got medium for both verbal and numerical intellect.

Don’t understand how my digital mindset is a 3 there wasn’t even loads of tech questions in there wth.

medium for verbal but got 7/9 for applied intellect 🤔 so confusing.

I did it so I can make others look better because there is no way on earth I am getting a AC after that hahah

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    I got 7/7/6/4... Honestly, its such a silly test. I got 9/7/7/6 when I did it for WBD. My scores are all over the place. I don't see why one should be assessed on that... They should just stick to VI's!!!
    Those are good scores so I think you’ll be fine!

WBD I got 4,6,6,9 - high verbal medium numerical

Generally idm the tests but like come on these scores don’t even match up!! I’m not a huge fan of VI’s but I do agree that they kinda do assess you well especially giving you 1 minute or so to prep…. HD felt like a waste of time and I’m not sure how many they even taking for the London office so I should’ve just left it lol

• 🤝
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    The worst dilemma possible.

I don't think i am able to do any of my VS de to my work policies. pretty annoyed as my work is pretty strict with this stuff.

I don't know if i should just firm it and do it pray to the heavens i convert into a TC so the awkward meeting o "why did you do a VS whilst working" or give up the opportunity for a job i don't want to be in.

Ughhh i wish i was a student again!!!

• Wow
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

LillyandSilver

Distinguished Member
    Oct 18, 2023
    Have you asked your work if they could make an exception?
    If not maybe if push comes to shove you could ask the firms to be transferred directly to the TC route?
    If it's about not taking compensation while working could you ask who you have the VS with to not fund you? (if you can afford it of course) - edit - I have never had a paid VS so I dont know how it works or if it is possible

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Have you asked your work if they could make an exception?
    If not maybe if push comes to shove you could ask the firms to be transferred directly to the TC route?
    If it's about not taking compensation while working could you ask who you have the VS with to not fund you? (if you can afford it of course) - edit - I have never had a paid VS so I dont know how it works or if it is possible
    If it is paid they will not allow it at all not allowed to take a paid employment and if i do it cannot be fulltime working which a VS is. I work for a company that is pretty strict on things like this due to the nature of the work.

I don't think i can do a week off unpaid as i am going on holiday the week after and need the money lol plua my work wouldn't pay me either.

If i transfer to TC route i don't think i would get the the TC at all tbh. I'm ridding on meeting people making connections and learning about the firm. I feel like i can't show any personality with direct TC route at all.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Quit and return. I’ve done that before. Quit when I had uni exams and then got my job back as they had not found anyone to fill my place in the 1 month I needed off...
    Can't do that i don't work in retail or shift work kinda job it is a grad scheme so 12 weeks minimum notice to leave.

Would it be unethical to just do it and wait out the consequences from my line manager? @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If it is paid they will not allow it at all not allowed to take a paid employment and if i do it cannot be fulltime working which a VS is. I work for a company that is pretty strict on things like this due to the nature of the work.

I don't think i can do a week off unpaid as i am going on holiday the week after and need the money lol plua my work wouldn't pay me either.

If i transfer to TC route i don't think i would get the the TC at all tbh. I'm ridding on meeting people making connections and learning about the firm. I feel like i can't show any personality with direct TC route at all.
    The firm wouldn’t want to organise it unpaid either - puts them at risk on a number of levels with HMRC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can't do that i don't work in retail or shift work kinda job it is a grad scheme so 12 weeks minimum notice to leave.

Would it be unethical to just do it and wait out the consequences from my line manager? @Jessica Booker
    This is incredibly risky, particularly if you are public sector or in a regulated industry. It could lead to a misconduct charge which would limit your future career in law too. Things like that could lead to not passing the SRA suitability test.

Depending on the type of business you work for and the nature of your role, you could find yourself going against basic conflict checks for both your current employer and the VS firm. And if you lie or hide information that should be disclosed in these processes it can be career ending.

• Sad

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.