Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks Jessica, that's interesting. Yes, I was under the impression that there was no choice.

When you say that some firms can't get all their trainees through the old process, what do you mean?
    Is that in terms of timelines, or is it that there aren't enough spaces on the old style courses?

It seems to me that the smaller intake American firms are more likely to stick to the old route, for now.

The GDL route expires as of this year. The last intakes of trainees who apply in the final year of their non law degree will be 2023. Up until a couple of months ago this was 2022.

Unfortunately the SRA only made this decision to allow the GDL to continue for another year in the last couple of months, meaning some firms were already committed to the new SQE prep courses to start in 2023 because they thought their non-law trainees would have to go through the new route. As they have made that commitment, they have to stick to it. It’s only going to hit them a year later, and so many just feel like they might as well get on with it rather than drag it out.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: mpongo

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Just got invited to the Simmons & Simmons VI and Ability Test. Does anyone have any tips for the VI please :)?

tHE ShApEs

tumblr_o7ymd6lRj61u9pvyzo4_540.gifv

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Rejection from NRF post telephone interview.

I genuinely feel so emotionally exhausted from the process with so little feedback at the VI and telephone interview stage. This cycle I’ve got through to the next stage on every app but as soon as video interviews and telephone interviews come into play I’m letting myself down.

I follow all the structures. Prepare loads before hand. Reference key deals, key jurisdictions, I read the FT every day and I genuinely find the articles interesting. I have good experience and good grades. I know that the process is tough, but I just don’t know how to improve.

I completely understand that law firms have so many applicants. I’m not even frustrated with the process, Im more frustrated that I can’t identify which bits are going wrong.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I am afraid I am going to have to correct you.

I've done vac schemes with three of the companies in that list, and can confirm that you do not do real firm work. You do the exact same kind of work that is available on their 'freely available' 'internships'. This is exactly why I was saying that for me, they were a bit of a waste of time. In essence, they are a week/two week long open day rather than a vac scheme.

Just gonna jump in on this discussion here to say, 2/3 of the vac schemes I completed last year used Forage. However, all the work I did were completely new tasks they had created for the VS and were not freely available to do through the free internships the site also hosts. While I do agree that it was incredibly disappointing to not get involved in real work, for one of the firms in particular I still enjoyed the work I was doing because of how challenging it was and how real the substance of the task felt, even if the client, context etc was all made up.

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Thankyou so much!

The firm stated “The questions you are about to answer are based on your knowledge of us, the role you have applied for and your commercial awareness.””

No problem! Based on this, I would prepare
    - why the firm
    - why you would be a good solicitor
    - why you want to be a solicitor
    - have a commercial news story or deal ready, particularly one that is relevant to the firms sectors or practice areas

But I’d also prepare other questions! I hope that helps :)

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Has anyone got a unique reason for applying to NRF?
    I've gone through their website and profile on other sites but all the reasons I'm giving in my cover letter for applying are fairly generic: global firm, excellent training, etc. I can't seem to find anything that makes them really stand out.

Any recommendations for resources to find things that make firms stand out would also be appreciated :)

NRF are particularly renowned for the presence in emerging markets (especially Africa). Strong mining and infrastructure expertise, strong in the energy industry, great project finance team. Generally quite strong at banking work as well.

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Rejection from NRF post telephone interview.

I genuinely feel so emotionally exhausted from the process with so little feedback at the VI and telephone interview stage. This cycle I’ve got through to the next stage on every app but as soon as video interviews and telephone interviews come into play I’m letting myself down.

I follow all the structures. Prepare loads before hand. Reference key deals, key jurisdictions, I read the FT every day and I genuinely find the articles interesting. I have good experience and good grades. I know that the process is tough, but I just don’t know how to improve.

I completely understand that law firms have so many applicants. I’m not even frustrated with the process, Im more frustrated that I can’t identify which bits are going wrong.

Really sorry to hear about the rejection. Please please remember you are not alone!

If it helps, I have had countless interviews where the interviewer loved my responses and said they hope to see me in future and then boom - rejection post interview!

The fact that you are getting to interview stage is progress and shows you are capable - not everyone gets that far. Please keep trying. There are some firms still open until 31 Jan and many TC deadlines still open thereafter. You’ve got this!

In terms of feedback, I know this is frustrating. It may be small things like having a more concise answer or speaking slower. But yes, I understand it’s frustrating.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    After the NRF rejection I think I’m going to bow out of this process, I really don’t think I’m strong enough. I don’t understand how hard work and prep and doing everything good on pape results in constant failure for me. I wish everyone the best of luck

Hi M, I'm gutted to hear this. Even just reaching the telephone interview, you've already gotten much farther than most people ever do in this process. I know it can be tough and I'm a strong advocate for just taking time away from everything law related after particularly difficult rejections but I really hope you find it in yourself to keep going. Please PM me if you wanna talk more. We're all really and truly here for you

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    After the NRF rejection I think I’m going to bow out of this process, I really don’t think I’m strong enough. I don’t understand how hard work and prep and doing everything good on pape results in constant failure for me. I wish everyone the best of luck
    Excuse me?? HELL TO THE NO! Am I hell gonna let NRF let you 'bow out'!

This is the time to rise up. I may not know you personally, but I know you from this forum. You are hard-working, strong, resilient, incredible and have drive. Don't let one damn firm let you doubt that. Rejection = redirection. Hard, I know. Trust me. But you can't let one firm kick you like this! There are plenty of people who re-apply 2/3 times in a row to get to the firm they want. Determination gets them there. You can do this - I promise you. But giving up now will stop that from happening!

A M

Distinguished Member
    Dec 28, 2020
    Don't say like this. I know it's tough and mentally and emotionally exhausting, but just think how happy you would be when you get that TC and post your success story here and encourage others.
    Remember this is not a sprint but rather a marathon and you gotto keep running.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.