2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jds555

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 26, 2019
depends if you like the way they operate? Have you looked into the firm and what they offer? I would say it’s definitely worth a try!

You will be fine, PWC will send you a game based assessment to complete. Just take your time and don’t try and beat the system! As mentioned earlier in this post the result isn’t about how high you score it’s about how elk your characteristics align with the firms values and work ethics.

Let me know if I can help you in any other way!

Good luck 🤞🏽
Hey Sanj, thank you for your help and kind words. I sent off the application form last night. I noticed that they said that there is a numerical reasoning test involved (I am terrible at maths). However, let’s wait and see what they come back with. I will keep you updated and I will probably ask you some more questions when the tests come through. Thank you. I appreciate it!

RyanM1

Star Member
Jan 4, 2021
Does anyone know how the Arctic Shores SkyRise City game is assessed along with your application? Quite disheartened by some of the feedback especially with the facial recognition section, I like to think I can read the expressions of people quite well!

I thought my written application was really good and well-researched, but does the game results have equal weighting?

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
Anyone have any tips for the Mishcon VI? After the disaster that was my CMS VI I kinda don't even want to do this one... just embarrassing meself at this point 😫

On another note, TCLA looks great.. really like the additional emojis 😏

• 🏆
Reactions: OB

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Any idea if its better applying to Macfarlanes direct TC vs VS? For context, I am a graduate and I'm not sure how much holiday I can take off work and the VS deadline is next week. Would applying for a direct TC put me at a disadvantage in comparison to those applying to VS at the firm?

Reactions: 202023r

Jessica444

Star Member
    Sep 3, 2020
    Does anyone know how the Arctic Shores SkyRise City game is assessed along with your application? Quite disheartened by some of the feedback especially with the facial recognition section, I like to think I can read the expressions of people quite well!

I thought my written application was really good and well-researched, but does the game results have equal weighting?
    I scored quite poorly in the emotion recognition section and still progressed for Gowling so I wouldn’t worry too much!

LegalLordLox

Legendary Member
    Jan 3, 2021
    Hey Sanj, thank you for your help and kind words. I sent off the application form last night. I noticed that they said that there is a numerical reasoning test involved (I am terrible at maths). However, let’s wait and see what they come back with. I will keep you updated and I will probably ask you some more questions when the tests come through. Thank you. I appreciate it!
    Yes please do ask any questions :). It was by far the longest first year scheme application I made.

I was just happy to go all the way! The video interview was fairly challenging. It will
    Probably be different for the VS though.

PWC will probably get back to us from the first week of February!

Good luck!!!

hktr

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 10, 2019
    Any idea if its better applying to Macfarlanes direct TC vs VS? For context, I am a graduate and I'm not sure how much holiday I can take off work and the VS deadline is next week. Would applying for a direct TC put me at a disadvantage in comparison to those applying to VS at the firm?

Having done the VS last year, I do remember partners and GR saying that the percentage of trainees recruited by VS is creeping up (something like 1/3, up from approximately 1/2 of trainees... but don't quote me on the figures). Overall, though, if you think you are in a better position to apply direct, I think that's what I would do. Macfarlanes remains one of the few smaller firms (by intake) that take a significant proportion of trainees by direct TC application. It also does a lot to make sure that direct TC candidates are not disadvantaged (as far as I remember, the assessment of VS and TC candidates for final TC offers is the same).

Reactions: thirdtimelucky

ManifestingTC

Jan 20, 2021

I had done work experience with Gowling in the past and felt my written application was strong but was rejected post-Arctic shores test having got a couple quite bad aspects of feedback so think they give it a lot of weight, unsure about other firms though

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Having done the VS last year, I do remember partners and GR saying that the percentage of trainees recruited by VS is creeping up (something like 1/3, up from approximately 1/2 of trainees... but don't quote me on the figures). Overall, though, if you think you are in a better position to apply direct, I think that's what I would do. Macfarlanes remains one of the few smaller firms (by intake) that take a significant proportion of trainees by direct TC application. It also does a lot to make sure that direct TC candidates are not disadvantaged (as far as I remember, the assessment of VS and TC candidates for final TC offers is the same).
    This is really helpful! Thank you :D

Reactions: hktr
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.