Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tackle a 'What do you need to work on?' question? I want to try and answer this without drawing attention to negatives! Could I talk about goals that I have?

Hi Hana,

I understand not wanting to focus on negatives as especially in an interview the last thing anyone wants is to seem less than perfect. But the point of questions like this is for the firm to understand that you possess the self awareness to realise your weaknesses and have the initiative to work on them. I would suggest being open about any characteristic/habit you'd like to improve on and go into detail on the steps you've taken or are still taking to improve on them. I'm linking you a thread where this has been discussed recently and hopefully that gives you some ideas. https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/cooleys-application-question.2699/#post-49120

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hi! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tackle a 'What do you need to work on?' question? I want to try and answer this without drawing attention to negatives! Could I talk about goals that I have?
    Hi Hana

I agree very much with Dheepa here. I think interviewers who ask this question are looking for self awareness and honesty. To answer I think I would mention any areas of weakness I think I have and why I think this is a weakness. I would then then focus the majority of my answer on explaining the steps I have made to overcome this and where I hope to be at the end.

E.g. if you want to work on public speaking- mention that it's something that whilst you are okay with, you'd like to improve as although it may not always show it is something that makes you feel quite anxious internally. To improve you have enrolled in X course or you have challenged yourself by joining X society ....

Best of luck ☺️

thewaythecookiecrumbles

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 14, 2021
    Hi Hana,

I understand not wanting to focus on negatives as especially in an interview the last thing anyone wants is to seem less than perfect. But the point of questions like this is for the firm to understand that you possess the self awareness to realise your weaknesses and have the initiative to work on them. I would suggest being open about any characteristic/habit you'd like to improve on and go into detail on the steps you've taken or are still taking to improve on them. I'm linking you a thread where this has been discussed recently and hopefully that gives you some ideas. https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/cooleys-application-question.2699/#post-49120
    Hi Hana

I agree very much with Dheepa here. I think interviewers who ask this question are looking for self awareness and honesty. To answer I think I would mention any areas of weakness I think I have and why I think this is a weakness. I would then then focus the majority of my answer on explaining the steps I have made to overcome this and where I hope to be at the end.

E.g. if you want to work on public speaking- mention that it's something that whilst you are okay with, you'd like to improve as although it may not always show it is something that makes you feel quite anxious internally. To improve you have enrolled in X course or you have challenged yourself by joining X society ....

Best of luck ☺️
    Thank you so much for the advice, Dheepa and Naomi!

Reactions: Dheepa and Naomi U

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi Hana,

Here's a little excerpt from my next Monday Article which deals with this sort of question:

Talking about your weaknesses can be very intimidating, and understandably so: when we are interviewing with a law firm, we want to show the best version of ourselves and present as attractive a candidate as possible. Being asked about your biggest weakness is designed to test your emotional intelligence and self-insight, as well as how you grow from personal flaws. There are a few key dos and don’ts when considering your response to this question, for example:

Do:
    • Choose to discuss a weakness which can be developed and improved with time
    • Be genuine: don’t try and ‘invent’ a weakness here, transparency in answering questions such as this is extremely important, and it is obvious when a candidate is not being transparent
    • Discuss how you have taken steps to identify and remedy this weakness, and what progress you have seen in yourself since taking those steps
    • Show your desire to learn and develop as a person in your response
    Don’t:
    • Say that you don’t have weaknesses, or that you’ve ‘grown out’ of them: this comes over as conceited and displaying a lack of emotional intelligence and self-insight
    • Try and frame a weakness as a positive: it is much more authentic to discuss a genuine weakness which you’ve recognised and worked on. It also displays a lack of insight
    • Use the “I’m a perfectionist” response… unfortunately, this is massively over-used and is viewed as a ‘cop out’ response. Try and be more innovative in your response to provide a more nuanced and unique answer
    Due to the fact that the structure to your response will vary considerably based on the example you choose to give, as such, it is extremely challenging to provide a useful mock answer. Just follow the above dos and don’ts and you’ll be in good stead!

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    could someone give me advice on an application question ''if you had £1,000 to invest in the stock market, what shares would you invest in and why''
    Opportunity for you to demonstrate your commercial awareness: do you understand the business/market etc. So pick a stock and then using SWOT/PESTEL/Porters 5/Financial performance/Current trends etc etc justify it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.