Confidence boost

Leke

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jun 24, 2018
Hey family,

I trust you are all prepping for apps and interviews. I thought I should share some posts that really helped build my confidence when I was applying and interviewing. I should say that you should start by reading @Lottie and @SarahYRQ posts on their experience applying and other confidence-boosting posts on TCLA.

Here are the links to the posts I used for interviews and psyching myself up to apply:
https://applyshinewin.com/2017/11/20/but-its-so-competitive/
https://applyshinewin.com/2017/12/15/my-pre-interview-bathroom-pep-talk/
Rosie actually has more posts on her site. Give them a read.

Feel free to share yours! Enjoy the recruitment season. Good luck!

Best wishes,
Leke

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey family,

I trust you are all prepping for apps and interviews. I thought I should share some posts that really helped build my confidence when I was applying and interviewing. I should say that you should start by reading @Lottie and @SarahYRQ posts on their experience applying and other confidence-boosting posts on TCLA.

Here are the links to the posts I used for interviews and psyching myself up to apply:
    https://applyshinewin.com/2017/11/20/but-its-so-competitive/
    https://applyshinewin.com/2017/12/15/my-pre-interview-bathroom-pep-talk/
    Rosie actually has more posts on her site. Give them a read.

Feel free to share yours! Enjoy the recruitment season. Good luck!

Best wishes,
    Leke

Great post. If people like those, I'd also recommend Hamza's story as well as this anonymous story.

Leke - can I get your perspective on rejection during the application process? Did you have to deal with a lot of rejection? And if so, how did you handle it? What made you keep going?

Reactions: v123

Leke

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 24, 2018
    Great post. If people like those, I'd also recommend Hamza's story as well as this anonymous story.

Leke - can I get your perspective on rejection during the application process? Did you have to deal with a lot of rejection? And if so, how did you handle it? What made you keep going?
    Thanks for the question Jaysen. I will type something up and post it here later today or tomorrow. Sorry for the delay. I am currently chasing an essay deadline and I want to give a helpful and sensible answer.

Reactions: Jaysen

SJamal

Star Member
    Nov 18, 2018
    This has really helped me. Thank you, both. It’s always great to read concise articles which state what you need to do to earn a training contract and the steps you need to implement in the application process to be successful. It so refreshing to read, as the application process is rather demoralising!

Reactions: Jaysen

Leke

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 24, 2018

Thank you Jaysen for the questions.

Did you have to deal with a lot of rejection? Yes.

I faced a lot of rejections. The rejections I found most painful were rejections from those applications where I felt I gave my 90%. To be honest, I took rejections very personally and would get all bitter about them. In fact, I once wrote a short story about being rejected by a City Law firm (a good decision because it got me into the finals of a creative writing competition).

And if so, how did you handle? What made you keep going?

The first thing I did was to develop a CV of failures. I got the idea of a CV of failures from this article at https://www.theguardian.com/educati...professor-publishes-resume-of-his-career-lows

I read this article in my first year. At that time, everyone I followed on LinkedIn all seemed like they had never failed in life at one point or another. Also, around this time, my education was in shambles (I mean a 25% in a Contract Law essay type of shambles). So, after I read this article and spoke to some of the Third years in Exeter about their own failures, I accepted that what I was going through was natural and could either end up motivating someone or end up as a story not worth telling because I gave up. So, I guess that the first thing I did was to accept that people fail even though they do not post it on their LinkedIn. I don’t know if this makes any sense.

The second thing I guess I did was to keep on applying and improving my applications. In my second year, I tried to get as much help as possible. Got into SEO London, utilised my Uni Careers services, read Rosie Watterson’s posts, volunteered to pimp my CV, had my application reviewed by family, and used all the good advice you get but never use. Till now it always makes me wonder why I never reached out for help until my second year. By my second year, I was getting better in my applications and getting higher-level volunteering experiences. Then I struck gold, my Skadden application (I developed this app for two months and attended an open day) got me an AC. I also got two VI’s by the end of the year. But then, my Skadden AC ended badly (self-esteem issues) and my VI’s I could not just be asked to prepare. So, I guess the second thing I did was to reach out for help.

By the way, shout out to @AzanAshai who motivated me by his achievements and his grit. I met Azan at my SEO London AC. He has been someone who has upped my expectations and motivated me in ways he himself does not know.

The third thing was to let people make me persevere:

After I missed my Skadden AC I was like there goes it. Then SEO London hosted this London VC thingy I applied just to be with the herd/banter sakes. Going for it ended up upping my expectations. I discovered TCLA (Jaysen you spoke at the event) and I met this girl who said that if you can get an AC then there is no point giving up in a lowkey way. Also, around this time, I got a mentor in a City law firm. In our first meeting, I felt I had to present a list of firms I was going to apply to, so I came up with a list even though I was like low-key I could not be asked to apply. He also demanded in a low-key way that I continue searching for commercial work experiences even though it was June.

After the meeting, I searched for a couple of experiences and I applied for FT’s legal work experience (I found this experience by some weird odds and got it in August) and other local internships. I was still a bit uneasy about deciding to hope again for getting into a firm through a direct TC app. But then I had to spend summer with my Sister who was breathing fire over my neck to apply so I ended up applying to about 12 TC’s in the course of two months (even though I planned only 4 apps). My sister was 55% my motivation. The other 44% was TCLA, Azan, my mentor and my friends. 1% was me. So, I guess the third thing I did was to let people make me persevere. They made my low self-esteem seem very foolish.

By September, I ended up with two TC offers. I ended up accepting NRF’s offer (fun fact, they rejected me in less than 24 hours when I made my first-year app, and you know that my short story I spoke about earlier, it was about getting rejected from them in my first year). If you want to know, of the 12 apps I made only 4 were successful past the testing stage.

What I’d like to add:

Enjoy the process because things will get better and it is not the question of whether you will get a TC but when you will get a TC (this only applies if you keep at it).

Sorry for getting this in so late. Let me know if there is anything you would like me to expand on.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

I faced a lot of rejections. The rejections I found most painful were rejections from those applications where I felt I gave my 90%. To be honest, I took rejections very personally and would get all bitter about them. In fact, I once wrote a short story about being rejected by a City Law firm (a good decision because it got me into the finals of a creative writing competition).

The first thing I did was to develop a CV of failures. I got the idea of a CV of failures from this article at https://www.theguardian.com/educati...professor-publishes-resume-of-his-career-lows

I read this article in my first year. At that time, everyone I followed on LinkedIn all seemed like they had never failed in life at one point or another. Also, around this time, my education was in shambles (I mean a 25% in a Contract Law essay type of shambles). So, after I read this article and spoke to some of the Third years in Exeter about their own failures, I accepted that what I was going through was natural and could either end up motivating someone or end up as a story not worth telling because I gave up. So, I guess that the first thing I did was to accept that people fail even though they do not post it on their LinkedIn. I don’t know if this makes any sense.

The second thing I guess I did was to keep on applying and improving my applications. In my second year, I tried to get as much help as possible. Got into SEO London, utilised my Uni Careers services, read Rosie Watterson’s posts, volunteered to pimp my CV, had my application reviewed by family, and used all the good advice you get but never use. Till now it always makes me wonder why I never reached out for help until my second year. By my second year, I was getting better in my applications and getting higher-level volunteering experiences. Then I struck gold, my Skadden application (I developed this app for two months and attended an open day) got me an AC. I also got two VI’s by the end of the year. But then, my Skadden AC ended badly (self-esteem issues) and my VI’s I could not just be asked to prepare. So, I guess the second thing I did was to reach out for help.

By the way, shout out to @AzanAshai who motivated me by his achievements and his grit. I met Azan at my SEO London AC. He has been someone who has upped my expectations and motivated me in ways he himself does not know.

After I missed my Skadden AC I was like there goes it. Then SEO London hosted this London VC thingy I applied just to be with the herd/banter sakes. Going for it ended up upping my expectations. I discovered TCLA (Jaysen you spoke at the event) and I met this girl who said that if you can get an AC then there is no point giving up in a lowkey way. Also, around this time, I got a mentor in a City law firm. In our first meeting, I felt I had to present a list of firms I was going to apply to, so I came up with a list even though I was like low-key I could not be asked to apply. He also demanded in a low-key way that I continue searching for commercial work experiences even though it was June.

After the meeting, I searched for a couple of experiences and I applied for FT’s legal work experience (I found this experience by some weird odds and got it in August) and other local internships. I was still a bit uneasy about deciding to hope again for getting into a firm through a direct TC app. But then I had to spend summer with my Sister who was breathing fire over my neck to apply so I ended up applying to about 12 TC’s in the course of two months (even though I planned only 4 apps). My sister was 55% my motivation. The other 44% was TCLA, Azan, my mentor and my friends. 1% was me. So, I guess the third thing I did was to let people make me persevere. They made my low self-esteem seem very foolish.

By September, I ended up with two TC offers. I ended up accepting NRF’s offer (fun fact, they rejected me in less than 24 hours when I made my first-year app, and you know that my short story I spoke about earlier, it was about getting rejected from them in my first year). If you want to know, of the 12 apps I made only 4 were successful past the testing stage.

What I’d like to add:

Enjoy the process because things will get better and it is not the question of whether you will get a TC but when you will get a TC (this only applies if you keep at it).

Sorry for getting this in so late. Let me know if there is anything you would like me to expand on.

I knew if I asked you this question, you'd provide a very valuable, honest response. Thanks Leke, you've got a knack for writing these reflective posts. It's a good reminder that students with TC's also had to cope with rejection.

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018

What I’d like to add:

Thank you for sharing this with us. I felt I was there with you! It is inspiring. So can I ask you did 12 direct TC apps with no VS behind you? Is that right? Do you feel that your work at the FT boosted your self-esteem and therefore you came over as more confident? Can I also ask how do you go about getting a mentor in a firm? Was that through a specific channel? Don't feel you have to answer. Thank you again.

Last edited:

Leke

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 24, 2018
    Thank you for sharing this with us. I felt I was there with you! It is inspiring. So can I ask you did 12 direct TC apps with no VS behind you? Is that right? Do you feel that your work at the FT boosted your self-esteem and therefore you came over as more confident? Can I also ask how do you go about getting a mentor in a firm? Was that through a specific channel? Don't feel you have to answer. Thank you again.

Hey Helena,

Sorry for my late reply. Here are the answers to your questions.

So can I ask you did 12 direct TC apps with no VS behind you? Is that right?
    Yes (but I had other experiences though).

Do you feel that your work at the FT boosted your self-esteem and therefore you came over as more confident?
    I do not think so to be honest. I had three AC's over the summer, one was before FT, one during FT, and one after FT. It was nice though to end the AC saying I was working at FT but I do not recall having to talk about my FT experience during my interview (maybe once as a side). Supposing, I was applying now maybe the experience would have boosted me.

Can I also ask how do you go about getting a mentor in a firm? Was that through a specific channel?
    My University had a career mentor scheme I applied to. If your University does not have one I'd recommend reaching out to people on LinkedIn (the newly qualified or trainees are usually the easiest to reach out to sometimes).

Let me know if you need me to expand on anything! Thanks for the questions.

Many thanks,
    Leke

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hey Helena,

Sorry for my late reply. Here are the answers to your questions.

So can I ask you did 12 direct TC apps with no VS behind you? Is that right?
    Yes (but I had other experiences though).

Do you feel that your work at the FT boosted your self-esteem and therefore you came over as more confident?
    I do not think so to be honest. I had three AC's over the summer, one was before FT, one during FT, and one after FT. It was nice though to end the AC saying I was working at FT but I do not recall having to talk about my FT experience during my interview (maybe once as a side). Supposing, I was applying now maybe the experience would have boosted me.

Can I also ask how do you go about getting a mentor in a firm? Was that through a specific channel?
    My University had a career mentor scheme I applied to. If your University does not have one I'd recommend reaching out to people on LinkedIn (the newly qualified or trainees are usually the easiest to reach out to sometimes).

Let me know if you need me to expand on anything! Thanks for the questions.

Many thanks,
    Leke
    Thank you for this and for replying so comprehensively. I appreciate your advice.

wwood

Distinguished Member
    Jan 19, 2019
    I

What I’d like to add:

I love your post!!! Congrats on getting an offer :)!!!!

Reactions: Leke

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.