2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Fox Williams asks “how do you rate your computer skills?” and then asks for details! What do they want here? Is it just competency with Microsoft Office?

Oxdart

Star Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Wonder why CC pretty much only take penultimate students now for vacs and direct tc’s. Seems a bit discriminatory imo. Why is someone in their second year of uni better qualified to apply than someone in their final year/who’s graduated? They could all pretty much still start at the same time too, even if it was a year later.
    I have been wondering this too and it’s definitely age discrimination. They saw they will consider all apps because if they didn’t I’m guessing someone could actually sue them? I’m non law so apols if that’s not how this works.

MJ90

Esteemed Member
  • Jan 9, 2020
    I have been wondering this too and it’s definitely age discrimination. They saw they will consider all apps because if they didn’t I’m guessing someone could actually sue them? I’m non law so apols if that’s not how this works.

Really not sure what their thinking is behind it precisely but it seems to be age based primarily...
    Class action lawsuit TCLA squad? 😁

Abbie4329

Distinguished Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    I emailed CC about this in August. I’m a post grad. They told me for 2023 TC they’ve already given a significant number of the TCs to people from the SPARK scheme. I think first years are their actual target market. I guess the aim is to take the talent before other firms do.

Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

MJ90

Esteemed Member
  • Jan 9, 2020
    I emailed CC about this in August. I’m a post grad. They told me for 2023 TC they’ve already given a significant number of the TCs to people from the SPARK scheme. I think first years are their actual target market. I guess the aim is to take the talent before other firms do.
    Still doesn't explain why the rest of the TC places can't (or won't likely) go to people who are beyond their penultimate year.

Reactions: Andrew M

Adrian_Healey

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 14
  • Oct 18, 2020
    They actually have a YouTube video explaining their reasoning behind it:

I completely sympathise with those who are disappointed about this, and I am concerned about firms taking the political correctness/positive discrimination stance. (I understand their year 11 are aimed at state school students, and to be fair giving AC's to candidates they know from first year schemes is understandable.)

Regardless of your opinion about this however, recruitment is a two way process and if you don't agree with their policy, then you probably aren't missing out much by not working for them.
    Hope we all get to work at a firm that value us :)

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I am not convinced by it - it constricts certain groups in being successful and personally, that doesn't sit well with me. TC's should be open to everyone, rather than targetted. Hence, I will never apply to CC again.

Abbie4329

Distinguished Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    Still doesn't explain why the rest of the TC places can't (or won't likely) go to people who are beyond their penultimate year.
    True. I do think CC’s approach is a bit short sighted. Graduates will have more to offer in my opinion. They’ll likely have relevant work experience and perhaps a better understanding of what they’re getting themselves into.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I am not convinced by it - it constricts certain groups in being successful and personally, that doesn't sit well with me. TC's should be open to everyone, rather than targetted. Hence, I will never apply to CC again.
    I agree. It's the kind of restrictiveness that other firms are moving away from...

And I'm completely objective here, given that I haven't looked to apply as I don't want to work in London.

MJ90

Esteemed Member
  • Jan 9, 2020
    Quite an unnecessarily long video that aims to say a lot but ends up not saying much at all. They are prioritising applicants in penultimate year purely because of the number of people applying? This disadvantages career changers, mature students further along, and graduates unnecessarily.

Disclaimer: I don't have a vendetta against CC! I am just genuinely perplexed as to their rationale when no other firm I know of, including other MCs that get huge applicant numbers, like FF, did not take this stance post covid.

Abbie4329

Distinguished Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    I agree. Having to review a lot of applications isn’t a valid reason to exclude ‘older’ candidates.

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    True. I do think CC’s approach is a bit short sighted. Graduates will have more to offer in my opinion. They’ll likely have relevant work experience and perhaps a better understanding of what they’re getting themselves into.
    I ... kinda feel like if you want a certain mould of a lawyer, you get them young and train them up. It feels like a control thing.

To me, this is remarkably short sighted, especially in a world in which diversifying intake has become key, but if you are CC and have several thousand applications for one place, you can afford to do it.

I hate it and I wouldn’t want to work there at all.

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I agree. It's the kind of restrictiveness that other firms are moving away from...

And I'm completely objective here, given that I haven't looked to apply as I don't want to work in London.

I agree. Having to review a lot of applications isn’t a valid reason to exclude ‘older’ candidates.
    It is literally the most ridiculous excuse I have seen, other firms with more applications have worked around this so surely CC can too instead of being unnecessarily selective.

It just makes me question whether the firm has issues with ageism, elitism etc. It does not permeate a welcoming and inclusive environment.

Abbie4329

Distinguished Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    Quite an unnecessarily long video that aims to say a lot but ends up not saying much at all. They are prioritising applicants in penultimate year purely because of the number of people applying? This disadvantages career changers, mature students further along, and graduates unnecessarily.

Disclaimer: I don't have a vendetta against CC! I am just genuinely perplexed as to their rationale when no other firm I know of, including other MCs that get huge applicant numbers, like FF, did not take this stance post covid.
    To add to this, if a lot of TCs are being given to first years, what are CC evaluating? Surely at the time of application the first years won’t have many undergraduate grades. Are they assessing candidates based almost solely on A levels? It’s just such a strange method of recruitment in my opinion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.