2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily721

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    You will be your worst critic. It’s generally not even noticeable to grad rec while you are over analysing ever micro behaviour.

I hope they don't!

But when I say "draw" and instead of that hear "troll" when watching back my recording, that's a different story 😂

the office jim GIF

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Anyone ever recorded themselves practicing for video interview and then been horrified at the tragic picture?

Apparently, I can't even talk correctly or just talk without moving my head.

shocked do not want GIF

*me watching back my video recording, feeling sorry for grad recruitment when they have to watch the real thing.
    Trust me, it won't be noticeable to anyone else! I sing and used to mix/ produce covers as a hobby, always felt super uncomfortable listening to my own voice because I could hear every tiny wobble etc, until I realised that I was just getting in my head and it wasn't remotely as bad as I thought!

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Trust me, it won't be noticeable to anyone else! I sing and used to mix/ produce covers as a hobby, always felt super uncomfortable listening to my own voice because I could hear every tiny wobble etc, until I realised that I was just getting in my head and it wasn't remotely as bad as I thought!
    Thanks Jacob! The hope is that I at least manage to keep looking at the camera.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Anyone have any thoughts on how I can talk about Asos’s purchase of Topshop and boohoo purchase of Debenhams as a commercial story I’m interested in? Any impacts on the retail sector or interesting opinions? Just trying to form my own thoughts and thought would be helpful to discuss with others :)

I think an interesting approach here is to think about what it is that Asos and Boohoo are actually buying. They're not particularly interested in the physical assets, I doubt they're even that interested in the supply chain and would imagine there will be some kind of rationalisation down the line. What they're really paying for is the brand and goodwill, the relationship with consumers. Thinking about that and what it really means for the transaction might be a good approach.

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Anyone ever recorded themselves practicing for video interview and then been horrified at the tragic picture?

Apparently, I can't even talk correctly or just talk without moving my head.

shocked do not want GIF

*me watching back my video recording, feeling sorry for grad recruitment when they have to watch the real thing.
    I look up a lot when I’m thinking. So like mid sentence my eyes will drift up. And, in person, it’s not so bad because I can follow it up with eye contact and a smile but on camera it just looks like I’m rolling my eyes. Constantly. 🙈

sabma

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 22, 2018
    I look up a lot when I’m thinking. So like mid sentence my eyes will drift up. And, in person, it’s not so bad because I can follow it up with eye contact and a smile but on camera it just looks like I’m rolling my eyes. Constantly. 🙈
    I do this too! I always worry because Grad rec explicitly state to look into the camera when speaking. Also, I feel like it looks like I'm reading notes that I might have stuck up on my wall or something when I just genuinely thinking :confused:

I've been fine so far tho!

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    I do this too! I always worry because Grad rec explicitly state to look into the camera when speaking. Also, I feel like it looks like I'm reading notes that I might have stuck up on my wall or something when I just genuinely thinking :confused:

I've been fine so far tho!

I wear glasses....and sometimes the light reflects on them and let's just say....you can't even see my eyes LOL

Reactions: sabma

layk

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 16, 2019
    I submitted my application for the summer vacation scheme at Penningtons on 22 December 2020, received an invite to the virtual assessment centre on 12 January 2021, and completed the AC on 27 January. Grad recruitment said they'll get back to me before the end of February.
    I submitted Withers 2 weeks before the deadline and sitll haven't heard back yet!

Lilz

Esteemed Member
    Dec 16, 2020
    Hi guys, anyone got a Gateley AC coming up next week? Any ideas on how to prep for the written and group exercises? Any tips from anyone would be appreciated xx
    Hi, congratulations.
    Sorry this isn’t relevant, but I’m presuming that Gateley is recruiting on a rolling basis, seen as though their deadline is the 8th Feb?
    I’ve been trying to find out if they are rolling or not.

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    On the PwC VI front, it said I will get a link 'shortly' but I never got one. Anyone else in this boat?
    I actually received an email from HireVue with the VI link a couple of minutes before the email from PwC saying I will receive the link 'shortly', so I'd probably contact the grad recruitment team :)

Lilz

Esteemed Member
    Dec 16, 2020
    I’m not sure how it’s worded, but every single email I’ve had that says e.g ‘24th Jan midnight’ has meant basically the whole day inclusive of the 24th Jan, basically leading to 1 minute into 25th Jan. Hope this helps.

I've been invited for a VI and just want to clarify : "The deadline for this interview is 3 February 2021 (GMT+00:00)"
    This means that I have to do it latest on the 3rd, not by the 2nd 11:59pm right?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.