2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Anyone heard from Irwin Mitchell yet? Refreshing emails every 5 minutes in hopes something comes through soon😂
"When did you apply to Irwin Mitchell?"
s01e08 GIF

tla99

Distinguished Member
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 18, 2019
Question which probably @Jessica Booker has the best answer to: what is the etiquette on contacting GR re the stage of your app? For a few applications I have been waiting for quite a long time, such as Latham (applied mid November) and Weil (did the VI 4 weeks ago). Don't want to seem pushy with GR..

Reactions: SF1234

A M

Distinguished Member
Dec 28, 2020
Haha nope don’t think there’s a separate WG! Also for linklaters I applied for direct TC in like December, never received anything from them but checked my portal and it said I’d been rejected so might be worth checking :)
Sorry to hear that.
When did you check your portal?
And what does the percentage on your portal says?

E.A

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2019
Question which probably @Jessica Booker has the best answer to: what is the etiquette on contacting GR re the stage of your app? For a few applications I have been waiting for quite a long time, such as Latham (applied mid November) and Weil (did the VI 4 weeks ago). Don't want to seem pushy with GR..
This is a very good question. I've always been confused about this as some people say you should ask as it's your application and it's within your "right" to ask. Then, you shouldn't be pushy either... no idea what to do either

Reactions: bibss and tla99

Legallin

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 20, 2020
Sorry to hear that.
When did you check your portal?
And what does the percentage on your portal says?
A little while back, think like mid January it says 66% for the direct training contract application. I’d also applied to the winter vac scheme before that and it said 70% even though I got rejected at the same stage for both 😂

• Haha
Reactions: A M

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Anyone heard back from Shearman? Including rejections? I only know people got invited for interviews some time ago but am wondering if they have been sending out rejections in the meantime.

I am so fed up with waiting. It is enough to offput you from applying again.
Hi - our deadline was only two and a half weeks ago. It takes significant time and effort to thoroughly review all applications.

Please have patience and you will hear from us - I promise! ;)

Paul

packhorse

Esteemed Member
Jan 12, 2021
Anybody just had their Kirkland AC? Just finished it and pretty sure I failed that - I didn't do anything wrong per se, but I didn't do much right and I'm quite certain that I didn't do enough to differentiate myself as someone worth inviting to the final stage. The worst part is that the talk they gave us about 'why you should work at Kirkland' was genuinely inspiring and getting rejected now would be a real kicker. Oh well, onwards and upwards I supposeeee.
Heey I'm sure it went better than you thought. These things are impossible to read plus it is super super difficult to know what they are looking for!

Reactions: Kola

packhorse

Esteemed Member
Jan 12, 2021
This wasn't for Kirkland but I feel the exact same way about Skadden! Wasn't a disaster, but wasn't amazing either. I think the best thing to remember is that the decision is not in our hands so our judgement of ourselves is irrelevant. We might think we did average but maybe the assessors saw something great in us that we don't recognise in ourselves(hopefully) Or maybe they didn't and it will be a rejection (hopefully not). Regardless, the point is there/s no point dwelling on our own opinions, just fingers crossed and hope it goes well! Best of luck with the outcome.
Out of interest what would you do differently if you did it again?

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Not this cycle as unfortunately this is not my first rodeo, but have def been put off by one where I had a really great interview with partners, but the partner who did my case study review was so mean and laughed at me that I was really put off and actually quite relieved I didn't get it! Slightly different but also been put off from applying to a firm where I was a paralegal and when I see people applying there I want to reply and say "DON'T DO IT SAVE YOURSELVES"...
    So sorry that happened to you. I've been crucified in a similar manner by a partner in a CS interview before and it's one of the worst feelings in the world!

Reactions: pbyrne
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.