Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just a big thank you to those of you who are reporting spam on the forum! It makes mine and @Jessica Booker's job a lot easier because we can immediately see it in our reports. If anyone does see spam that hasn't been taken down, you can find the report button at the bottom of each post.

Lohana

Star Member
    Dec 24, 2020
    Currently working on this question:

Being ambitious for success is one of the core elements of the Gateley Team Spirit. Please provide an example of when you have been ambitious for success (200 words)

Anyone know what sort of things they might be looking for (e.g. more personal or a team ambition)? Thanks

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    ive never done an AC before and am really nervous didnt think i was cut out to even be a lawyer with the rejections this year but thankfully i have one shot! does anyone have any advice? id really appreciate it, feel free to dm :)

Hiya!

Huge congrats on the AC! You're clearly very cut out for this, especially considering you've already made it past the most difficult and competitive stages of the process! Honestly don't be afraid to own that fact. You've gotten this far because you're an amazing candidate and the AC is just about demonstrating that in person.

Jacob has great articles here and here on case studies and dealing with common questions in interviews.

The first thing I did before an AC was make a list of the different parts of the AC and all the things I felt I needed to do for each part to be prepared. I think this can help with making prep feel more manageable because you can systematically work through things.

One of the best things you can do before an AC is to go through your application again to spot anything that might be used as basis to ask follow up questions. This is particularly true for partner interviews and those interviews tend to be much more focused on getting to know you, understanding any interests you've noted in your application and your motivations for wanting to be at the firm.

Look into booking a mock interview with your careers service or even doing one with a friend so you can pick up on any areas of improvement beforehand. Also, instead of merely preparing your answers on paper, definitely talk through them out loud. I think this will help you be more confident with what you're saying on the day (because it won't be the first time you're saying it).

I also agree with what's been said about being friendly. Don't be afraid to chat to the other candidates or grad rec while waiting for assessments to start. It can be really difficult to get your personality across in a virtual AC and I do think that small things like this really make all the difference.

Good luck with your AC, we're all rooting for you! xx

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Being ambitious for success is one of the core elements of the Gateley Team Spirit. Please provide an example of when you have been ambitious for success (200 words)

Anyone know what sort of things they might be looking for (e.g. more personal or a team ambition)? Thanks

Since the question makes reference to the firm's team spirit value, I'd think it would be better to use a team example as it would show that you understand the firm's values better.

Think about a time when you had to push yourself to go the extra mile or when you wanted to raise the standard on a particular task. Since this is in the context of team spirit, perhaps you could also think about any experiences where you needed to motivate and push your team mates to achieve more.

Hope that helps! ☺️

Reactions: Lohana

lotuslaw

Jan 22, 2021
    Hiya!

Huge congrats on the AC! You're clearly very cut out for this, especially considering you've already made it past the most difficult and competitive stages of the process! Honestly don't be afraid to own that fact. You've gotten this far because you're an amazing candidate and the AC is just about demonstrating that in person.

Jacob has great articles here and here on case studies and dealing with common questions in interviews.

The first thing I did before an AC was make a list of the different parts of the AC and all the things I felt I needed to do for each part to be prepared. I think this can help with making prep feel more manageable because you can systematically work through things.

One of the best things you can do before an AC is to go through your application again to spot anything that might be used as basis to ask follow up questions. This is particularly true for partner interviews and those interviews tend to be much more focused on getting to know you, understanding any interests you've noted in your application and your motivations for wanting to be at the firm.

Look into booking a mock interview with your careers service or even doing one with a friend so you can pick up on any areas of improvement beforehand. Also, instead of merely preparing your answers on paper, definitely talk through them out loud. I think this will help you be more confident with what you're saying on the day (because it won't be the first time you're saying it).

I also agree with what's been said about being friendly. Don't be afraid to chat to the other candidates or grad rec while waiting for assessments to start. It can be really difficult to get your personality across in a virtual AC and I do think that small things like this really make all the difference.

Good luck with your AC, we're all rooting for you! xx
    omg this was so uplifting and gave me so much confidence! thank you!

• Love
    Reactions: Polyglot and Dheepa

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021

I think this question is more about what you can present which is an achievement to you and how you were able to overcome the challenge that came with it. I spoke about how I followed my ambition of publishing my own book and was finally successful after a couple of years

Reactions: Edward

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020

A simple google search of “Gateley Team Spirit” tells you what they’re looking for here

Sebastian Clark

Esteemed Member
    May 5, 2020
    Does anyone know if your background in a video interview has an effect on getting through to the next round? I've done two VIs this cycle and haven't got past either of them, but the feedback I've had when using the TCLA Video Interview simulator is that nothing is really wrong and I'm coming across well with good knowledge.

I'm just trying to eliminate any reason for the PFO - but I don't really have the plain, inoffensive background most firms advise you to have I can use (not comfortably anyway). Does anyone have any tips for this/VIs in general? Would be nice to get to an AC for once 😂

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know if your background in a video interview has an effect on getting through to the next round? I've done two VIs this cycle and haven't got past either of them, but the feedback I've had when using the TCLA Video Interview simulator is that nothing is really wrong and I'm coming across well with good knowledge.

I'm just trying to eliminate any reason for the PFO - but I don't really have the plain, inoffensive background most firms advise you to have I can use (not comfortably anyway). Does anyone have any tips for this/VIs in general? Would be nice to get to an AC for once 😂

Highly unlikely to be your background unless it is very messy or there is something questionable in the background.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019

Is it possible to pin a sheet up behind you or something like that? I'd imagine it's unlikely to be an issue but it's far more likely they'd penalise you for a messy background rather than a clean one.

A92167!8

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 6, 2020
    Have completed the Eversheds VI (by clicking on the link that was emailed) but when I log onto the portal I can see that it says status is 'assigned'. Is this correct or should it have changed?

lawgeek_301

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 1, 2020
    Anyone else got the willkie written exercise today and cannot login into the platform?? The email said I should be able to login 24 hours before the activity...I emailed TopScore support but I’m anxious that they won’t see my email before the exercise is supposed to start at 10

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Anyone else got the willkie written exercise today and cannot login into the platform?? The email said I should be able to login 24 hours before the activity...I emailed TopScore support but I’m anxious that they won’t see my email before the exercise is supposed to start at 10
    Are you logged into the platform but just can’t see the exercise? Or can you not log in at all?

I would expect this to be resolved by 10.00am. If not by 9.00am give Topscore a call.

lawgeek_301

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 1, 2020
    Are you logged into the platform but just can’t see the exercise? Or can you not log in at all?

I would expect this to be resolved by 10.00am. If not by 9.00am give Topscore a call.
    I cannot log in at all, when I enter the username and password they sent me the page simply refreshes... Thanks for the tip, I will call them if they don’t answer my email! Is there any point in contacting GR too?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.