2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
I have just found out some people get formatives in their degree? I haven't had one formative assignment my entire degree - everything handed in is counted towards my final grade. Have I been scammed?😭
View attachment 2728
My university only really does 1-2 per year. In our first year we had two formative essays that we had to write in groups (of 12) - it was just horrible! From what I gather, most students don't even submit formatives anyway...

Reactions: layla rose

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Guys, could I get a brutally honest opinion about the follow query:

I have an interview with Ashurst, and one of the reasons why I am applying to them is because of their strong Australian presence. My family is moving to Australia by the end of the year, and while I intend to stay in London for the next 3-10 years or so, having the option of eventually moving would be nice (which is why I find Ashurst so attractive as it would make the transition smoother). In a Vac Scheme interview, would it be appropriate to give this as a reason for applying? On one hand, it is probably one of the most personal and compelling reasons I can give. On the other hand, I don't want them to think of me as a 'temporary hire' who only sees them as a stepping stone to somewhere else.

What do you think?
Hiya, I would personally not mention the fact that you would want to move because I have friends at other firms who were turned down for VS because the interviewers felt they didn't want to stay in London. I can't speak for Ashurst in particular but firms normally recruits trainees to each office with the intention of keeping them so if possible I would think of other reasons the firm appeals to you!

Reactions: Maculay

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
finding out people get more than multiple essays marked per year, whilst my uni only gives feedback, which is usually quite surface level, on 1 essay per year per module.
Well I can't speak for other universities but at mine (York) the feedback is usually very brief and generic. Basically just a couple of sentences which (kind of) indicates why you got the grade you did. I can't say that it's ever truly helped me to improve.

Constancepop

Standard Member
  • Feb 9, 2021
    Guys, could I get a brutally honest opinion about the follow query:

I have an interview with Ashurst, and one of the reasons why I am applying to them is because of their strong Australian presence. My family is moving to Australia by the end of the year, and while I intend to stay in London for the next 3-10 years or so, having the option of eventually moving would be nice (which is why I find Ashurst so attractive as it would make the transition smoother). In a Vac Scheme interview, would it be appropriate to give this as a reason for applying? On one hand, it is probably one of the most personal and compelling reasons I can give. On the other hand, I don't want them to think of me as a 'temporary hire' who only sees them as a stepping stone to somewhere else.

What do you think?
    I think you could mention their presence in Australia as a reason. Would have the personal definitely but maybe see if there is a commercial reason as well? But I think firms do like to hear personal reasons!

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Just saw my rejection from Milbank vac scheme. Applied on the deadline.

Speaking as a dumb North American, I just want to say how grateful I am for this forum (which I only discovered a few weeks ago). Moved to London to be with my partner last year. It's been hella lonely + difficult figuring out how to best apply for vac schemes/training contracts. And although they probably don't know it, @Jessica Booker and @Celestie have hi-key given my applications a bit more of a fighting chance. Just need to keep rollin' with the punches/rejections.
    North American solidarity. It takes a while but it's all gonna be worth it.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and Adrian_S

packhorse

Esteemed Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Tip for stopping constant email checking (can work with any habit):

Every time you think about checking your email draw a little email logo (like the Gmail one- or this one: ✉️) on a piece of paper. I try to do mine on lined paper.

It is a really good way to actively do something instead and often the impulse is gone after drawing something. It also makes you realise the numebr of times you have thought about your emails!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Jessica, is there any chance you could expand on this? What do you meant by 'what isn't there'? Thank you for all of your comments, it is hugely helpful to have a recruiter's perspective.
    These assessments are usually based on eliminating the lowest performing candidates rather than identifying the highest performing.

It could therefore be the combinations people get that aren’t successful that are probably more insightful to trying to work out what a firm is looking for rather than the combinations of strengths of the successful candidates.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.