Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Covington VS offer!! :)
    Covington summer vac scheme offer!!
    Brilliant news - great firm so you guys must be chuffed! Make sure you celebrate accordingly like the 🐐 TB12 did yesterday :D

Tom Brady Nfl GIF

MJ90

Esteemed Member
  • Jan 9, 2020
    apart from being ill-suited to the profession itself, is there any other reason why somebody can fail eight ACs with numerous VI/telephone interviews..
    apart from being ill-suited to the profession itself, is there any other reason why somebody can fail eight ACs with numerous VI/telephone interviews...
    Obviously I don’t know you from Adam, but it does seems to be a lot of times that you aren’t passing a very particular stage. You must have good academics and work exp to move past the app stage.

I would very much focus on how you communicate and how you sound. Record yourself as many times as you can, just answering standard questions, both video and just audio.
    Then really unpick what you say. Are you being concise? Do you speak too quickly? Are you being monotone? Do you sometimes use slang/non standard terms without realising?

Send these clips to trusted friends and family too and ask for honest feedback. (Also TCLA has a practice VI programme that you can get feedback on I believe).

That’s just my two cents anyway.

JoeyTr

Valued Member
  • Jan 4, 2021
    I have already graduated:(
    I won't say you're ill suited to the profession. You just need to take a step back and gain some perspective. The fact you've made it to AC 8 times means you have potentially received feedback 8 times! that's a lot more than a lot of us on this forum. My advice? learn from it. Really look at what is causing failure - lack of commercial awareness, not truly understanding what it means to be a commercial lawyer etc. Then apply what you learn about yourself to your next interview.
    Keep going! you'll get there eventually.

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Brilliant, well done guys!
    Brilliant news - great firm so you guys must be chuffed! Make sure you celebrate accordingly like the 🐐 TB12 did yesterday :D

Tom Brady Nfl GIF
    Thank you both! I have to say I was more excited to inform the TCLA community anonymously than I was to tell my family or friends 😂 but don’t worry I have since told them!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    apart from being ill-suited to the profession itself, is there any other reason why somebody can fail eight ACs with numerous VI/telephone interviews...
    I see a lot of candidates in this position, so I would flag that you're not alone. It's also reassuring that you are actually securing so many ACs.

Have firms given you any feedback?

Reactions: cmaj and FM302989

MikSoroko

Feb 11, 2021
    Made a separate post but was directed here - Sorry new to the forum!

I just received an interview invite from Sidley Austin for the spring/summer vacation scheme (very surprising considering I don't meet their AAA A-Level requirements in the slightest nor do I have a high 2.1)
    Can't really find anything online about the interview structure other than it is a partner interview. So does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for it, is there a case study, or what they tend to ask?

Thanks,

Mikhail

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.