2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tk166

Esteemed Member
Jul 17, 2020
I completely see how my post would have been tone-deaf and apologise for any harm caused.

I have some personal circumstances I'd rather not disclose that make me want to move to the US in the future. Of course it's not going to be easy to make this move no matter what firm I end up at, but I feel that the path is a lot clearer at a US firm
i know i’m quite late to join this discussion but what you said is interesting because I really got the impression its so much easier to transfer offices at MC firms than it is at US firms... Many of the times I asked a US firm even about secondment opportunities they have all said yeah they do have some secondment opportunities but you shouldn’t go to them expecting it (e.g. Kirkland, Weil, Milbank, etc). I think you should probably reach out to some lawyers at the MC firm you have an offer for on LinkedIn that are based in the US and ask them what the best thing to do is, and if you could move to the US through the MC firm or not, obv taking it with a pinch of salt that they’re working there too so are likely to back it.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Numerius Negidius

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi guys - I would really appreciate some advice on one of the questions for Ashurst: What qualities does a successful lawyer of the future require? - I have written my answer but now realised I haven't really emphasised the "of the future" part. Does this q require us to tie these qualities into particular - changes - in the future, or just what would make a successful lawyer in the future in general? Sorry if this seems like a silly question, I'm confusing myself by overthinking it lol.
Not silly at all but I’ve reviews applications with similar questions and one of my common comments was that the future element had not been made clear enough. I’d definitely try to discuss what you think will change to try to tie this into your answer. The question in my view is twofold- they’re assessing the skills you think lawyers require but also your industry knowledge regards potential changes.

• Love
Reactions: YFA

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Couldn't agree more - very well said! I know @Jaysen can speak from experience where I believe he rejected a TC offer from a firm because he thought another firm would be better suited for his needs/career plans so I don't think we should be criticising someone for staying true to their career goals tbh as hard as that may be to hear

Yep - the post didn't strike me as tone deaf at all. They are allowed to have their own feelings and reasons for wanting to do something, without being second guessed.

In the process, you have to do what you have to do. I would never want a candidate to feel like they can't post here because they are in a difficult position despite doing very well. This forum is here to support candidates with multiple offers, just as much as we are here to support candidates who might be struggling.

I don’t know how it compares between US and MC, but I know someone who has been able to move to the US office, after working in the London office of a US firm. These weren't moves the person could make by going strictly by the book - and it's not something they could have told the firm about straight away. I also know the candidate was very lucky here and it easily couldn't have been possible.

• 🤝
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: Jacob Miller, Zoo, JayC and 5 others

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    me receiving an invite for Arctic shores from TV having seen how much everyone on here thinks it’s a terrible measure
    Looking Forward To It Cynthia Erivo GIF by The Academy Awards
    Update: I did the game. It was quite fun but it’s also quite weird to think that’s what will determine whether I go any further!

DTB

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    A bit late but HSF Summer Vac offer! Disputes here I come! 😁
    Hi Maculay - a big congratulations! I have an interview coming up with them - wanted to ask you for advice for their scenario-based interview! No idea how to prepare for it! Any recourses you found particularly helpful?

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    Hi guys! So a bit of a random question, but for an application I wanted to write a little about the Big 4 and how their reputation (riddled with audit failures and scandals), has made them less appealing for clients. It’s a lot more complex than that (I will be drawing on other factors e.g more on firms as competitors, CSR etc.), but I first wanted to ask if you all think this is a legitimate point to make/argue? I’m still researching and trying to understand this area, so I’m worried about if this point even makes sense at all- any advice would be appreciated😊

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Hi guys! So a bit of a random question, but for an application I wanted to write a little about the Big 4 and how their reputation (riddled with audit failures and scandals), has made them less appealing for clients. It’s a lot more complex than that (I will be drawing on other factors e.g more on firms as competitors, CSR etc.), but I first wanted to ask if you all think this is a legitimate point to make/argue? I’m still researching and trying to understand this area, so I’m worried about if this point even makes sense at all-
    Hiya, are you planning to link the Big 4's reputational scandals to the impact this has on law firms as businesses?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys! So a bit of a random question, but for an application I wanted to write a little about the Big 4 and how their reputation (riddled with audit failures and scandals), has made them less appealing for clients. It’s a lot more complex than that (I will be drawing on other factors e.g more on firms as competitors, CSR etc.), but I first wanted to ask if you all think this is a legitimate point to make/argue? I’m still researching and trying to understand this area, so I’m worried about if this point even makes sense at all- any advice would be appreciated😊
    What kind of question are you putting this into?

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Yup! At least that’s what I’m trying to focus my argument on, but I’m just not sure if it’s a good idea 😅
    I think if you link it to law firms as a business (i.e. how will the Big 4's reputational damage help attract business to law firms) it is a good idea, especially if you link the answer to current scandals we're seeing in the news- can I ask what the question actually is?

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    I think if you link it to law firms as a business (i.e. how will the Big 4's reputational damage help attract business to law firms) it is a good idea, especially if you link the answer to current scandals we're seeing in the news- can I ask what the question actually is?
    Thank you! And yup I just answered it for Jessica, but it’s a generic question on what issues have impacted the legal industry

collie_121

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 30, 2020
    It’s a generic question on what issues have impacted the legal industry, so I thought it may be an interesting point/different perspective to raise considering that the Big 4 seem to always be at the centre of discussion for this topic - do you think this is appropriate?
    I wrote about the Big Four for a question like this and said it impacted the legal sector in terms of competition. I suppose you could use the scandals as a counter-argument to give a more well-rounded view/argument??

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.