2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
Commercial Writer
Junior Lawyer
Jun 24, 2018
How does everyone deal with being put on the spot during the interview?I feel like for me the biggest fear is having a brain freeze and not being able to answer a question that I am unprepared for, which is ultimately the source of my anxiety for interviews, would appreciate any tips!
Hey Zara - I think this is a common concern! But how I’ve dealt with this in previous interviews is actually just saying to the interviewer something like, “can I have a minute to think about that?”. I’ve had positive feedback on taking my time on more difficult questions. Hope that helps x

• 🏆
Reactions: Alice G, ZaraB and G P

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
May 26, 2019
Hiya,

I completely understand, I was a bit confused myself.😅

I think in instances like this, I would probably advise that you prep for both, then when asked I would just clarify with your interviewer. There is nothing wrong with asking them to repeat or clarify a question if you aren't sure what they mean. It's always better to do this than to be perceived to have not listened to the question.
Its a video interview so I wont get the chance to do that 😭 I'll prepare for both and hope the question doesn't come up. Thanks again for your help

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Its a video interview so I wont get the chance to do that 😭 I'll prepare for both and hope the question doesn't come up. Thanks again for your help
If it does and you aren't sure, maybe try leading your response with your interpretation of the question e.g. "another area of business I am interested in/ considered a career in ..." At least this way when your interviewers watch it back, they can get a better understanding of where your response came from.

Good luck!!!

Last edited:

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    email from cooley they're aiming to contact all successful applicants by the 24th and that they've received a 67% increase in applications, which is crazy ???

Just received this also and thought it was a rejection but it didn't say unfortunately which implies rejection. I saw the 67% figure thing also and it scared me I don't think I will get the test.

Reactions: Georgina Evans

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2019
    If it does and you aren't sure, maybe try leading your response with your interpretation of the question e.g. !another area of business I am interested in/ considered a career in ..." At least this way when your interviewers watch it back, they can get a better understanding of where your response came from.

Good luck!
    Ahh that's a good idea. Thanks a lot Naomi

Reactions: Naomi U

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Dentons AC just came through...... what is happening.......

Aye, good friend

saluting martin freeman GIF

YFA

Mar 10, 2019
    Hi guys - I would really appreciate some advice on one of the questions for Ashurst: What qualities does a successful lawyer of the future require? - I have written my answer but now realised I haven't really emphasised the "of the future" part. Does this q require us to tie these qualities into particular - changes - in the future, or just what would make a successful lawyer in the future in general? Sorry if this seems like a silly question, I'm confusing myself by overthinking it lol.

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Hi guys - I would really appreciate some advice on one of the questions for Ashurst: What qualities does a successful lawyer of the future require? - I have written my answer but now realised I haven't really emphasised the "of the future" part. Does this q require us to tie these qualities into particular - changes - in the future, or just what would make a successful lawyer in the future in general? Sorry if this seems like a silly question, I'm confusing myself by overthinking it lol.

I answered it by talking about the ability to future-proof tech-relevancy. I used examples of successful lawyers being able to individually use RPA to automate their admin, using coding to sieve out relevant data for court etc. I linked it to the ability to widen their client net - (law firms as business) and how they can gain and retain more niche clientele through more efficient workloads.

I then linked it back to Ashurst Advance and their in-house teams, but that's up to you.

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Doing some interview prep and focusing on commercial awareness. How would you approach a question that asked what business other than a law firm you are interested in? Heard a few conflicting approaches so just trying to get more views on this.

Hmmm not sure how I feel about someone being told the Video Interview questions beforehand...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.