2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofm

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 14, 2021
    Hi guys!

For the V&E AC, the form said I hadn't completed my education info when I logged on (odd). Were you all able to put your individual subjects/grades for GCSE/A-Levels? I can't work out how to do it as it seems to just let you put in GCSEs and A-Levels as an overarching thing.

Thanks!!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Looking for some interview advice - a question I have always struggled to answer is the resilience once - to the point where it literally puts me off applications and throws me off my game in telephone interviews. Not because I haven’t been through stuff - I have but the stuff I would typically be like oh yeah I’ve shown resilience is pretty personal and just not suited to applications. I was just wondering how you go about answering this question in a more professional way? I’ve worked a number of roles and so I’m sure I have an experience that would be suited I just don’t know how to identify it. Sorry if this is an obvious question
    Hi there, I understand and I used to feel similarly but I just broke down the question and really grappled with it. For me, it was taking my biggest weakness (speaking publicly) and trying to overcome that. I was able to discuss the various things I did to try to push myself and make myself feel uncomfortable to start overcoming it. Have you got a weakness you think you could try to actively improve?

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    Taylor Wessing PFO
    season 2 netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2019
    Hiya,

It's likely that your interviewer will be more interested in the reasons for your chosen response rather than the response itself. My top tip is to be honest! Don't feel forced to say something that isn't true because you feel that is what they may want to hear. More often than not, your true answer will be a better judge of your personality, motivations and interests than saying something forced.

When thinking about potential answers consider the skills and activities you value within a career ( such as those you value within the role of a trainee at a commercial law firm) and focus on explaining these within your answer.

I'm answering based on the assumption that the question is regarding alternative careers so apologies if I misread this!

Best of luck ☺️
    Hi Naomi

Thanks for the response. This is exactly the problem I was having - seems that there's a few different ways you could interpret a question like this. For instance, my initial reasoning was that it is geared at testing your commercial awareness so I would have just spoke about a business that I had been following. Someone on here responded similarly. But it seems that it could also be interpreted as career alternatives so I'm a bit confused.

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    How does everyone deal with being put on the spot during the interview?I feel like for me the biggest fear is having a brain freeze and not being able to answer a question that I am unprepared for, which is ultimately the source of my anxiety for interviews, would appreciate any tips!

Zay

Star Member
    Oct 28, 2018
    How does everyone deal with being put on the spot during the interview?I feel like for me the biggest fear is having a brain freeze and not being able to answer a question that I am unprepared for, which is ultimately the source of my anxiety for interviews, would appreciate any tips!
    My main tip for this would be to ask the interviewers for a minute or two to think about your answer, instead of just saying the first thing that comes to mind!

Reactions: ZaraB

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hi Naomi

Thanks for the response. This is exactly the problem I was having - seems that there's a few different ways you could interpret a question like this. For instance, my initial reasoning was that it is geared at testing your commercial awareness so I would have just spoke about a business that I had been following. Someone on here responded similarly. But it seems that it could also be interpreted as career alternatives so I'm a bit confused.
    Hiya,

I completely understand, I was a bit confused myself.😅

I think in instances like this, I would probably advise that you prep for both, then when asked I would just clarify with your interviewer. There is nothing wrong with asking them to repeat or clarify a question if you aren't sure what they mean. It's always better to do this than to be perceived to have not listened to the question.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.