2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Also had a bad experience. Slightly annoying bc as working class students we already have imposters syndrome. TCLA has rebuilt a lot of confidence tho!
Yeah, I absolutely agree with this. It did give me a little bit of pause about whether commercial law is an industry I want to get into. Which isn't great for a network which is supposed to help students like me from underrepresented backgrounds break into the profession...

Fortunately, I've had enough positive encounters with firms and trainees since then not to let it put me off.

Sebastian Clark

Esteemed Member
May 5, 2020
Is it a general rule that law firms prefer vac scheme places to go to students and expect graduates to apply for the straight training contract?

Im only wondering just because with this vacation scheme application cycle having been so competitive I’m wondering if it’s going to be 10x worse for the straight TC route...

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Is it a general rule that law firms prefer vac scheme places to go to students and expect graduates to apply for the straight training contract?

Im only wondering just because with this vacation scheme application cycle having been so competitive I’m wondering if it’s going to be 10x worse for the straight TC route...
So as a general rule law firms would only suggest applying for their TC if you have had commercial experience (i.e. done VS schemes before). I've had firms tell me they prefer about 4 weeks of experience. As a graduate, I have always applied for VS as the firms I prefer tend to recruit mostly from VS rather than direct TC

Reactions: cmaj

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    So anyway in other CC news https://t.co/zlwvQEFuZe 🤣

I have kept this to myself but now I am losing my mind.

I applied to DWF's Ethnic Minority Access Scheme via Aspiring Solicitors. I did not hear back and contacted them, turns out they did not receive my application. I responded and showed them the email confirmation that confirms the submission. Now the easy solution is to admit the mistake but no - AS are not responding to me.

Luckily, I applied directly to DWF and have received a VI invite from them.

The issue I now have is that the AS scheme's next stage in the process is DWF's application form question - which means I theoretically had a very good chance of making the final stage. If I go ahead with the VI and receive a rejection, I may not be accepted into the process by AS.

I am running out of options now that AS have not responded. Does anyone have any advice for me here?
    Try reaching out to Harri Davies as well. I was on the Aspire scheme last year and if I remember correctly he headed up most of the liasing with firms for different events and fast track schemes AS have.

I’m really sorry to hear that so many people on the forum have had a less than great experience with AS. The Aspire scheme helped me in so many ways and when I had to cancel attending a Dechert event the night before due to medical reasons they were very understanding about it.

AS sponsorships from these firms must ride hugely on specific numbers showing up to events and I generally get the feeling that they are very understaffed. So I suppose the responses people get from them vary depending on whose in charge of that particular event and how over/under subscribed it is (I know they have wait lists as well for events and send people invites when original attendees cancel)

I’m in no way trying to make excuses on their behalf. I’m shocked to see that they’ve been rude in some instances and I honestly feel pretty disappointed (especially because I rave about them to anyone who does ask me for advice on the process). I really hope they have been improving or are at least trying to improve these things.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

No - that’s not necessarily the case.

Different firms have different opportunities and the eligibility for a programme will vary by programme and firm.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

Not necessarily, it depends on the firm. I would say I've noticed a slight paradigm shift towards placing increased emphasis on VSs in the last few years but that is just a very general observation and is not remotely to say that firms are simply ignoring direct TC apps.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Nope, no general rule like this at all! Your chances at the direct TC route/VS route are pretty much the same as a penultimate or graduate student.

I think for direct TCs it can make your application much stronger if you do have a previous VS or any other commercial law work experience to prove your commitment to the career, but that being said, I know many people who have secured TCs through the direct route without any prior legal work experience.

I think direct TCs are maybe slightly more competitive because there may be less spots open since firms have given out places to vac scheme students already. That and the fact that some firms don’t even look at their direct TC apps if they’ve filled up all their spaces from offers after a VS.

Still think it’s worth applying though! You really never know unless you try!

Sebastian Clark

Esteemed Member
    May 5, 2020
    So as a general rule law firms would only suggest applying for their TC if you have had commercial experience (i.e. done VS schemes before). I've had firms tell me they prefer about 4 weeks of experience. As a graduate, I have always applied for VS as the firms I prefer tend to recruit mostly from VS rather than direct TC
    Ok that makes sense - do you mean exclusively VS Schemes? I’ve been working in legal/professional roles for 16 months now so I assume that would easily cover that

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.