2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew.gold123

Standard Member
Feb 14, 2021
I have a VI with DWF and was wondering whether anyone had any general advice for prep? Thank you 😊
Hey - i did the VI yesterday.

Few things:

1. 6 questions, you get a min to prepare and then 2 to answer (the last answer you're given slightly more time)
2. Thing that threw me off a little was that there's a no time in between finishing one question and starting the next, as soon as you finish your recording time, the countdown to prepare the next question starts.
3. I don't remember there being any major curveballs, so if you practice normal pre-prepared questions for these sort of things I think that covers most of it

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
I meant you could just do a small post but doing a long post about something that was available to everyone I don't agree with.

I didn't know that they look at people's profiles so will they look at a candidate LinkedIn profile at the online application form stage or later in the process.
It really depends on the firm. I have had a couple of recruiters from firms I applied to look at my profile after I submitted an application. It may be a complete coincidence - I have to be active on there because I'm a representative for ULaw - but perhaps not. It certainly doesn't hurt to keep your profile updated.

I do agree with longwinded posts being a bit cringe. But they're not causing harm to anybody so who cares? I'm sure that every single one of us here are guilty of being cringeworthy every now and then.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020

Few things:

1. 6 questions, you get a min to prepare and then 2 to answer (the last answer you're given slightly more time)
2. Thing that threw me off a little was that there's a no time in between finishing one question and starting the next, as soon as you finish your recording time, the countdown to prepare the next question starts.
3. I don't remember there being any major curveballs, so if you practice normal pre-prepared questions for these sort of things I think that covers most of it
Oh I hate when there's no gap between questions! I'm going to do mine at lunch today

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
Ahhhh, I am so nervous this week as we will be hearing back (hopefully) from PwC and Osborne Clarke! Good luck everyone!
Spongebob Squarepants Good Luck GIF

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    It really depends on the firm. I have had a couple of recruiters from firms I applied to look at my profile after I submitted an application. It may be a complete coincidence - I have to be active on there because I'm a representative for ULaw - but perhaps not. It certainly doesn't hurt to keep your profile updated.

I do agree with longwinded posts being a bit cringe. But they're not causing harm to anybody so who cares? I'm sure that every single one of us here are guilty of being cringeworthy every now and then.
    Thank you for this

l0133

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 14, 2020

Few things:

Great thank you so much for this advice!

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    For those wondering if Dechert has sent out VIs:

- they have sent out VIs since the start of Jan
    - they've had at least 2 ACs so far

It seems to be quite staggered, so I think they're recruiting in batches. I did my VI last week, and applied on the deadline.
    Do you happen to know if these are for Spring or Summer scheme? I've applied for summer, so if they haven't got through all of the Spring candidates yet the radio silence everyone's been complaining about makes a lot more sense!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Do you happen to know if these are for Spring or Summer scheme? I've applied for summer, so if they haven't got through all of the Spring candidates yet the radio silence everyone's been complaining about makes a lot more sense!

That makes me feel a bit better about knowing nothing! I swear that this time last year things were a lot quicker though with all firms I dealt with. I think there must have been a phenomenal increase in apps.

Reactions: Kablahc

packhorse

Esteemed Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Hey all, for those who have had their interview at Kirkland post-AC day, I was wondering if you had any tips? Any advice at all would be hugely appreciated :)). I've made a thread here:

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020

I applied for spring, and from what I know the only candidates so far have really been for spring as well.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    That makes me feel a bit better about knowing nothing! I swear that this time last year things were a lot quicker though with all firms I dealt with. I think there must have been a phenomenal increase in apps.
    They said at their open day they usually receive over 900 applications in a normal cycle so I'm not surprised if there has been!

stemlawgal

Distinguished Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 8, 2020
    Bit of a rogue question here: it's looking like I'll need to do another round of apps next cycle, since this year has been a bust. Only issue is that (covid-allowing) I'm due to be on the other side of the world from the middle of July for my year abroad. Will firms accommodate me when it comes to interviews and allow me to participate in ACs virtually, or would I be expected to come back to the UK to interview in person?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.