2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athina

Nov 11, 2020
I thought this too!! I wonder if the other people applying for the types of internships for PwC i.e tax/consulting received a similar question
I have a feeling (although I may be entirely wrong) that the same questions come up for a variety of different streams. I found a video on YouTube (alas after my interview) which detailed the questions from last year for the audit stream and they were very very similar!

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Bit of a rogue question here: it's looking like I'll need to do another round of apps next cycle, since this year has been a bust. Only issue is that (covid-allowing) I'm due to be on the other side of the world from the middle of July for my year abroad. Will firms accommodate me when it comes to interviews and allow me to participate in ACs virtually, or would I be expected to come back to the UK to interview in person?
    Personally when I was on year abroad, all firms said I would have to return to the UK if I was invited to AC which being in Australia wasn't really possible for me. Especially as they would only cover maybe £100 in travel costs to the interview ... I would hope they would be more accommodating now they have experience of virtual ACs

• 🤝
    Reactions: stemlawgal and cryingoverTCs

Sl1410

Standard Member
  • Dec 17, 2020
    I thought this too!! I wonder if the other people applying for the types of internships for PwC i.e tax/consulting received a similar question
    I did the VI for another line and I don't remember such a question, but tbf I did the VI around 3-4 months back so I could be completely wrong. Hope this helps!

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Bit of a rogue question here: it's looking like I'll need to do another round of apps next cycle, since this year has been a bust. Only issue is that (covid-allowing) I'm due to be on the other side of the world from the middle of July for my year abroad. Will firms accommodate me when it comes to interviews and allow me to participate in ACs virtually, or would I be expected to come back to the UK to interview in person?
    I queried this with HSF when I went on a year abroad and they were ok with doing a virtual assessment (maybe because it was my first year of applying and I sounded like I was begging for my life😂) So just ask them before you apply :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: stemlawgal

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I don't completely agree with the point regarding students posting about taking part in events like the Legal Cheek scheme. I've heard a few Grad Rec say that they will look at a candidates profile to see what they've been up to. These kinds of posts (when done properly) indicate that a student is proactive, which is something that many - if not all - firms look for in a trainee.
    I hear that but you can just put it as an entry on your profile and achieve the same objective no? Why the need to do a boastful post about an event which you don't need to do anything to get onto other than signing up for it?

Absolutely no issue if you want to make a post about what you learned/people you spoke to/what you enjoyed etc. but I remember seeing various people posting in such a way that it seemed as though they were boasting about how they got onto the scheme when in reality anyone could have done so and that didn't seem right to me but that's just my opinion anyway

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I am nervous for the "what other firms have you applied to?" question in an interview. Quite honestly this cycle I have only applied to one - due to working 20hrs a week and studying LPC full time, and have struggled with rejection in the past, but really wanted to apply for this firm.

Obviously I know the firm's competitors, and i guess they want to know if i have applied to them but will my interviewer think I can't manage my time properly etc due to the fact I have only applied to one firm this year?
    I think those reasons are valid for only applying to one firm. I would really emphasise how you had to prioritise one application to your favourite firm and maybe briefly why they're your favourite firm!

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    I am nervous for the "what other firms have you applied to?" question in an interview. Quite honestly this cycle I have only applied to one - due to working 20hrs a week and studying LPC full time, and have struggled with rejection in the past, but really wanted to apply for this firm.

Obviously I know the firm's competitors, and i guess they want to know if i have applied to them but will my interviewer think I can't manage my time properly etc due to the fact I have only applied to one firm this year?
    Possibly not the most ethical suggestion out there, but just lie? Its not like the firm or the interviewers can verify it.

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019

Hiya!

I don't think this will matter at all. It's not a condition that you must apply to 10+ firms.

I would just simply say that this is the only firm I applied to then state my specific reasons why. You don't have to get into loads of detail if you don't want to. At the end of the day like I said, it's not a must. I personally think the question is only really asked to get a further gauge of your interests and motivations in commercial law.

I wouldn't worry too much ☺️

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

You can be honest here that you only applied to one firm - just clearly explain your reasons why.

Interviewers aren't asking this question to try to trick you out, and I think authenticity always wins out in these situations. You'll be able to handle follow up questions/won't get yourself into a tricky situation.

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    First post on here..

DWF AC!!! Anyone got any advice for the topscore software / DWF AC? Never done a virtual AC before so really nervous.
    Heya, I used topscore for my interview, it's pretty straightforward, not sure what a DWF AC includes but for mine, there was a schedule and at the time of your interview/ written exercise, you click on the scheduled event and it takes you to the relevant page.

• Love
    Reactions: E1998

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Possibly not the most ethical suggestion out there, but just lie? Its not like the firm or the interviewers can verify it.
    You're right that the interviewer isn't going to verify it, but what's the point in lying? It doesn't give you any benefit in this situation and it can easily catch you out.

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Personally when I was on year abroad, all firms said I would have to return to the UK if I was invited to AC which being in Australia wasn't really possible for me. Especially as they would only cover maybe £100 in travel costs to the interview ... I would hope they would be more accommodating now they have experience of virtual ACs
    I was the same - I inquired with loads of firms before I applied and most of them said they wouldn't give me the option of a virtual AC/Interview and |I was in China, so like yourself, it wasn't really an option to come back

Reactions: OB

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    I've been wondering the same! If they do I really need to get a move on lol

does anyone know if WBD looks at apps on a rolling basis?
    I'm pretty sure they're non-rolling.
    The email I got after submitting my VS application says that they will notify us of the outcome of applications after the closing date on their website - so I guess we have a while to wait yet :confused:

• ℹ️
    Reactions: cryingoverTCs and rose63
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.