2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

els124

Distinguished Member
Sep 26, 2020
In case anyone's interested: I have a place for the Linklaters VS and got an email yesterday saying they've decided to do it virtually and shorten it from 4 to 2 weeks this year
I don't know if other firms have already made statements about whether theirs will be in person (if anyone knows for Freshfields and Slaughters please lmk) but I'm guessing most other firms will follow suit :/

JT2023hopeful

Oct 12, 2020
Guys, a very random question but out of interest, how did you react when you got a VS offer or a TC offer? I wonder what my actual reaction will be and would love to hear some of yours 🤩
Behind The Scenes Dancing GIF by Boston Celtics
I was actually speechless. Stayed composed/silent on the phone processing and then as soon as I hung up I ran in the house SCREAMING. Everyone jumping up and down, and my mum just goes "right, we're getting takeaway tonight" - not the pre-corona celebrations I'm sure others had but a celebration nonetheless haha

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I've mentioned the story about my TC offer a few times (tl;dr got absolutely hammered when the phonecall ended).

My VS offers were a bit different though. The night I got my Travers VS offer, I was actually in the car on my own driving to Edinburgh to help present a guest lecture on trading the financial markets to the Edinburgh Uni Trade and Investment Society. I think the audience must have thought I was an absolute loony cutting about with a massive permanent grin!

I used to be in that club! When did you visit?

Etudierlaw2022

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 10, 2021
    Any tips for a WG? I seem to keep not moving past the WG test stage in most my applications!

Practice, practice, practice!! I had to buy both the test prep packs on assessment day and jobtestprep. Jobtestprep is better - more expensive, but more comprehensive and they have great guides that get behind the reasoning of the questions. I think you really have to take your time to understand why the answers are wrong or right on your practice tests. I used to score very low (for linklaters last year I'm pretty sure I was in the 30th percentile) but this year, scored in the 69th (which I know is still not stellar, but for me quite a big improvement!) I also blocked out days in my calendar I would practice the various sections. Don't over practice on any given day or you risk tiring out your brain. It was tedious but worth it, because I passed the WG rounds for CMS and DLA Piper as well this year.

Stick to it !

Reactions: thirdtimelucky

PositiveVibesOnly

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Feb 11, 2021
    Guys, a very random question but out of interest, how did you react when you got a VS offer or a TC offer? I wonder what my actual reaction will be and would love to hear some of yours 🤩
    Behind The Scenes Dancing GIF by Boston Celtics
    I was out walking my dog at around sunset whilst on the phone to my boyfriend and had to abruptly cut him off as an unknown number was calling. After 2 post vac scheme rejections and this being my fourth cycle I guess I was waiting on the ‘I’m sorry’ so hadn’t expected it to be a ‘I’m pleased to tell you’... all I could say was thank you and that I had no questions as couldn’t think of anything in the moment. The phone call lasted only 3 minutes and I kept thinking I’d made it up as I didn’t get an email through until 4 days later! Just spent the rest of the walk calling family and romanticising the sunset and smiling randomly (don’t judge me) couldn’t do much as had an essay due 3 days later and we were in lockdown (this was about 3 weeks ago) so just had a bottle of champagne and a takeaway! It didn’t sink in at all for over two weeks, only now starting to realise I don’t need to apply anymore, I kept thinking I’d made it up as id internalised so much self doubt

CharlotteLegal

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 13, 2020
    Guys I’m in a bit of a crisis.

I’ve just received an invite to the AG AC which is amazing, but I’ve already got my Mills & Reeve AC on the same day and ALL the AG slots overlap with that AC by a few minutes each way. My Mills and Reeve AC was booked weeks ago and can’t be changed now. Super upset... I’ve already emailed grad recruitment, anyone have any advice? The AC is next Tues which doesn’t really give much time!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.