2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jony

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    It is difficult to draw a hand to hand comparison. In my experience, MC tend to be more picky at the initial stages (lots of people kicked out at the application stage), whereas the US firms tend to be more picky at the later stages (lots of people kicked out post-VI, AC etc.). US firms also look for different things - quite a few value practical entrepreneurial stuff more so you're more likely to progress with them if you've done something to demonstrate that.

This is all speculative by the way, just my own personal thoughts and anecdotes.
    Agreed.

Speaking from this cycle's experience, whenever the US firm has given me more opportunities (a longer application form) to expand upon my life experiences it's always been a positive outcome to the next stage.

MC firms have been outright long-holds or rejections. (with the exception of Ashurst and it's v v easy-going word count)

I've been vastly more successful with US firms this cycle - I suspect, because of the fit of candidate they're looking at. My grades (2:1) might not be stellar, but I've been able to back up my traits with plenty of life experiences.

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    I didn't know shearman had started giving out ACs! That sucks to hear
    Unfortunately, they gave interviews before their deadline in spite of the previous commitment to being non-rolling - it must just be the pandemic that changed the policy. But if they decided to change it unannounced, presumably that's going to be the case with other firms too and may become the norm. It's even more impossible to navigate the room when the floor is moving underneath you!

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    Agreed.

Speaking from this cycle's experience, whenever the US firm has given me more opportunities (a longer application form) to expand upon my life experiences it's always been a positive outcome to the next stage.

MC firms have been outright long-holds or rejections. (with the exception of Ashurst and it's v v easy-going word count)

I've been vastly more successful with US firms this cycle - I suspect, because of the fit of candidate they're looking at. My grades (2:1) might not be stellar, but I've been able to back up my traits with plenty of life experiences.
    What do you mean by Ashurst's easy-going word count?

law230

Esteemed Member
    Jan 20, 2021
    Unfortunately, they gave interviews before their deadline in spite of the previous commitment to being non-rolling - it must just be the pandemic that changed the policy. But if they decided to change it unannounced, presumably that's going to be the case with other firms too and may become the norm. It's even more impossible to navigate the room when the floor is moving underneath you!
    really? I didn't know that was true.

law230

Esteemed Member
    Jan 20, 2021
    if so, kinda sad

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Just to add my two cents on the MC vs US firm discussion going on here, I disagree slightly that US firms somehow value more real life experience than MC firms. I'm not sure how much real life experience I had outside of a very relaxed (albeit unconventional) gap year I took and my part-time job in retail. The MC firm I did a VS at, although value grades and academics a lot, really valued that real life experience. The US firm I secured a TC with didn't even ask about any of those experiences.

I agree with what Jaysen and Jessica have said. It's actually very unhelpful to put firms into groups and generalise what they're looking for in that respect. Your best bet would be to actually go to these firms and get a feel, that's the best way to tell what they value in their people.

The only real difference between how hard it is to secure a VS/TC with one over the other is the number of TCs up for grabs and even then some US firms are starting to recruit more and more trainees, so their numbers are edging close enough to how many some of the SC firms recruit anyway.

Edit: Just felt the need to make this point because I didn't want people reading the discussion to somehow feel like they would be disadvantaged in any way by taking a linear route. ☺️

Last edited:

Helpme12345

Valued Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    I don’t think this is quite true. They did offer a couple of interviews before the deadline, but they are non-rolling in the sense that they consider all applications before they give out all of their interviews and you are not disadvantaged by applying later. I know a couple of people that applied a day before the deadline and still got an interview.

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    I don’t think this is quite true. They did offer a couple of interviews before the deadline, but they are non-rolling in the sense that they consider all applications before they give out all of their interviews and you are not disadvantaged by applying later. I know a couple of people that applied a day before the deadline and still got an interview.
    I’d politely disagree - the definition of non-rolling is that the firm has received all applications after closing the deadline. They then consider all the applications in its entirety before deciding on who to recruit. This could be done in batches, but it still remains non-rolling because interviews have not been sent out before the deadline!

I might be wrong, but this is my understanding of what non-rolling entails: no invitations before the deadline.

I went for three of Shearman’s events and they initially mentioned they they’d look at applications and shortlist some, but only get back to us after the deadline. As some have mentioned earlier, I reckon pandemic-related business strategy has changed this.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    I don’t know why people are disagreeing with you when this is exactly what GR at Shearman said... they are non rolling and give interviews slightly before just to manage the workload but you’re not at a disadvantage if you apply on the deadline.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I don’t know why people are disagreeing with you when this is exactly what GR at Shearman said... they are non rolling and give interviews slightly before just to manage the workload but you’re not at a disadvantage if you apply on the deadline.

Yep @Paul - Shearman & Sterling has affirmed this a few times on here.

Don't panic everyone!

If you send your application before the deadline (17th January) it will be evaluated in the same way as everyone else.

As we receive plenty of applications we do start to look at a few before the deadline - this just helps us to review applications in greater depth.

I'm looking forward to reading lots of new applications after the deadline. Good luck everyone!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.