2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Yep @Paul - Shearman & Sterling has affirmed this a few times on here.
Thanks @Jaysen

Yes, the situation is still the same.

I know lots of people are frustrated that it takes time to hear back from law firms (including Shearman!), but the reality is that screening applications and conducting interviews takes time. Law firms receive hundreds upon hundreds of applications.

Although this isn't actually possible, wouldn't it be an interesting exercise if a graduate recruiter and a training contract applicant swapped roles for a few days. The recruiter would have to write training contract applications, and the student would need to screen thousands of applications - and make the right decisions! Maybe one for the future...

JoeyTr

Valued Member
  • Jan 4, 2021
    Thanks @Jaysen

I know lots of people are frustrated that it takes time to hear back from law firms (including Shearman!), but the reality is that screening applications and conducting interviews takes time. Law firms receive hundreds upon hundreds of applications.

Although this isn't actually possible, wouldn't it be an interesting exercise if a graduate recruiter and a training contract applicant swapped roles for a few days. The recruiter would have to write training contract applications, and the student would need to screen thousands of applications - and make the right decisions! Maybe one for the future...
    Let's pitch this show to the BBC!

hlos14

Feb 18, 2021
    I applied end of October and have heard absolutely nothing since- I know it’s likely a PFO, I just wish they’d let us know already as it’s the waiting that’s so unbearable 😅
    Yeah i'm the same! i wish they would just let me know if i have been unsuccessful.. like yeah it'll be disappointing but better than sitting in limbo🤣 this is the longest wait i've had from the point the deadline passed!

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Does anyone know if Osborne Clarke London Office have sent out AC invites, I see on here that some people have received them from Bristol?
    To my knowledge all we know is that one person received an AC invite from the Bristol office - no one has posted anything (yet) about the London office :)

(no I’m definitely not checking this thread compulsively five times per hour, why do you ask)

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    I think questions like this are rare because I don't think any firm would expect you to have an in depth knowledge on the negative press surrounding them or an example of a negative article ready to go for discussion. But if for example a partner specifically explains a particular article and asks for your opinion on it, I'd be honest about your views on the situation but also try to take a balanced approach by considering the firm's position on the matter. One recent-ish example that comes to mind was when Kirkland said they were implementing a concierge service (or something to that effect) for their trainees and the legal press took it as a sign that the firm didn't want trainees to ever leave the office for any reason. I'd just reason it out, yes on one hand it creates the expectation that you'd be around the office more, but on the other hand, it's extra investment the firm is making in you that no other firm is doing. Whatever stance you take on controversial issues/negative press, I'd say it's more important that you can defend your argument/opinion and don't get too flustered by the question throwing you off.
    Thank you for this!

Iris best

Distinguished Member
    Oct 29, 2020
    To my knowledge all we know is that one person received an AC invite from the Bristol office - no one has posted anything (yet) about the London office :)

(no I’m definitely not checking this thread compulsively five times per hour, why do you ask)
    Same don't worry. I have a bad feeling but it is one of the only ones I haven't heard back from yet so NEED good news!

Reactions: Staples

packhorse

Esteemed Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Thanks @Jaysen

Hi Paul, I would be really interested to know that if we have submitted applications for Shearman's Spring Scheme and knowing that ACs/interviews have already taken place, should we assume that we have been unsuccessful at this point? Or is the firm still looking to interview applicants for the Spring Scheme (and that the firm has not yet got back to those applicants?)? Further to this, if our application is good enough, is there a possibility our application will be rolled over to the Summer scheme instead?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks @Jaysen

I used to estimate I’d read about 6 million words per recruitment cycle when I worked in-house.

On a peak application review day, that could easily be nearly 300,000 words. And that’s while managing a team and other workload too.

Many people might prefer to read 300,000 words than write 7,500, but it’s tough going, especially when a lot of what you are reading isn’t that different. The monotony of application review processes is the hardest part really.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Let's pitch this show to the BBC!
    200.gif

Me if that was ever on TV 😂

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Same don't worry. I have a bad feeling but it is one of the only ones I haven't heard back from yet so NEED good news!
    I applied for the Bristol office but have only seen the one AC invite last night.

At the moment no news is good news for as we have no idea if they send invites out in batches!

Reactions: Rachel H
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.