2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex PB

Standard Member
Aug 27, 2020
Has anyone heard back from Reed Smith Post-AC? Not expecting a positive outcome as the strength-based questions part of the interview went terribly but would be good to know when they roughly they get back to people!

Sebastian Clark

Esteemed Member
May 5, 2020
I agree with that some MC firms are not strict with grades for example Linklaters I know people with 2.2 got a VS there.

Thank you Jessica and I think some firms are more strict with grades I mean having a 2.1 overall but one 2.2 is okay but do US firms take a stricter approach on grades.

Thank you guys and I agree with that certain modules like contract law grades matter more.
There definitely does seem to be a rule of thumb with grades in regard to overall % per year. I had a 2.1 (non law) from decent RG but I had 2.2s overall in my first and second years, so ended up having to pull the rabbit out of the hat in my final year to get the 2.1.

I also agree certain modules matter more. I did a part time job alongside my GDL (and was also far too relaxed in my approach to the course and it’s demands I won’t lie) and ended up with a high pass. Not a killer in itself but I ended up with a 44 in contract law.

Fast forward 20 months and despite having a lot of legal/professional experience under my belt I’m still yet to get to the AC stage of any application.

I’ve had good/great feedback on my apps and my practice VIs - at this point I’m wondering how much experience I’ll need to offset my poor grades.

C

Esteemed Member
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 7, 2019
So I personally discuss a specific headline initially to answer the 'commercial story' bit- I give brief details of the article I read. I then link it back to general trends in the market/ specific industry. Following this, I talk about its impact on law firms i.e. if these sectors are being impacts how will this affect law firms and I make sure to link it back to the firm I am interviewing at specifically (I pick a commercial story that links back to the firm's practice areas or industries). This is my approach but by no means is it the right one!
thanks for your reply! and yep, I've so far been doing the exact same thing - lets hope its the right approach lol. do you feel its necessary to link it back to the firm you're applying to? I have so far been doing this, but recently been thinking that they may deem it irrelevant or not totally answering the Q.

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Has anyone heard back from Reed Smith Post-AC? Not expecting a positive outcome as the strength-based questions part of the interview went terribly but would be good to know when they roughly they get back to people!
My AC is only next week so don't quote me but they may be waiting for all the ACs to let people know? But again not sure!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    thanks for your reply! and yep, I've so far been doing the exact same thing - lets hope its the right approach lol. do you feel its necessary to link it back to the firm you're applying to? I have so far been doing this, but recently been thinking that they may deem it irrelevant or not totally answering the Q.

Don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this one but this is generally the same approach I took as well. In terms of whether you should link it back to the firm, I would always recommend doing this because you want to show the firm you understand you these developments will impact its won business strategies. It can really be as simple as mentioning an increase in work for particular practice areas or more cross border work involving certain regions.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and C

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    I personally think that linking back to the firm shows that you're aware of what the firm is about and their particular strengths!

Reactions: Daniel Boden and C

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    There definitely does seem to be a rule of thumb with grades in regard to overall % per year. I had a 2.1 (non law) from decent RG but I had 2.2s overall in my first and second years, so ended up having to pull the rabbit out of the hat in my final year to get the 2.1.

I also agree certain modules matter more. I did a part time job alongside my GDL (and was also far too relaxed in my approach to the course and it’s demands I won’t lie) and ended up with a high pass. Not a killer in itself but I ended up with a 44 in contract law.

Fast forward 20 months and despite having a lot of legal/professional experience under my belt I’m still yet to get to the AC stage of any application.

I’ve had good/great feedback on my apps and my practice VIs - at this point I’m wondering how much experience I’ll need to offset my poor grades.
    I know how you feel about not reaching an assessment centre.

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this one but this is generally the same approach I took as well. In terms of whether you should link it back to the firm, I would always recommend doing this because you want to show the firm you understand you these developments will impact its won business strategies. It can really be as simple as mentioning an increase in work for particular practice areas or more cross border work involving certain regions.
    How important would you say it to always link it back to the particular firm? Just thinking in case it is difficult to make it relevant to the specific firm and it comes across very forced in terms of trying to find relevance?

C

Esteemed Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 7, 2019
    How important would you say it to always link it back to the particular firm? Just thinking in case it is difficult to make it relevant to the specific firm and it comes across very forced in terms of trying to find relevance?
    (just pitching in) I'd say you can negate that by just picking a story you know will be relevant to the firm and their work ? not sure though

Reactions: Daniel Boden and E.A
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.