Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    *£120,000

Game Stop GIF
    oh my god this made me laugh so much u don't even know 😂 😂
    It shouldn’t solely be about the money. I know it’s why most people choose this career but you have to really love the work too. The hours are awful and your entire life becomes your job. If you hate the work itself then that will make it more unbearable. £100,000 + is a phenomenal salary, but after tax and living expenses of living as close to the office as possible and having little time to actually spend your money, is it worth it if you don’t actually like the work?

With all that being said, I don’t think you’d be doing much tort/land law at Dechert?

Adding on to this:

My flatmate had an incredible fast stream internship with the Civil Service - they were supportive like none other company I've seen. My girlfriend also wants to join the Fast Stream - they apparently have incredibly flexible working practices, and once you're in you're able to transfer between departments pretty seamlessly! Needless to say, their pension schemes are top class as well if you get in through the Fast Stream.

Defo give it a good think over, and all the best @Kablahc for making it to the 1.5% (?) of applicants who make it into the FS ;)

* that being said, if one had to join a US law firm for work/life balance, Dechert has the best work-life balances in the city (see chambers and legalcheek) ... apparently because it has a lacking of a social scene lol

**but who joins a US firm for worklife balance? 🤣
    Yeah - I know at Dechert i would definitely not be practicing land law! But God I hated every aspect of that course so much I was never more relieved to get the 2:1 and wave bye to it, so it would take some serious mental fortitude to go through with the practical side of it on the LPC😂 and omg, really?! Thanks for the insider scoop!! I'm definitely attracted to stuff like the pension schemes and I got in for HR so I'll get free CIPD quals and study leave as well as basically a guaranteed place in the CS in 3 years. But I guess when you do a law degree, all anyone talks about is what firm they're applying to, whether US firms or MC firms are better, etc...it can really get you into a mindset of 'law or nothing' that's hard to let go of. I applied to the FS totally on a whim so I didn't expect to be thinking about this at all 😂😂
    Just wanted to add my two pence in this, I'm doing the LPC right now and the course really does step away from academic law and focuses more on the application of it in certain scenarios. You also may have an opportunity in choosing electives at the end of the year so you can really tailor the course into what you actually enjoy. I definitely wouldn't worry about the LPC and wouldn't consider it as a deal breaker!
    Really?! Thanks for letting me know! I don't have the resources to self-fund so I think I'd have to do a firm's approved programme at BPP or something so not sure how that works in terms of electives but I guess if someone offered me a TC i could always ask :)
    Yep, I have an offer at an American finance company that I have waiting if law doesn't work out :)

But it's not about the money, it's about whether the job is for you.
    Yeah, definitely agree. I guess the difficulty is that I don't have a particular passion for law one way or another, although I really like the lifestyle and the work being a solicitor would give me applying for other positions has definitely made me reconsider whether it's the job I want. ESPECIALLY being able to start straight away after graduation rather than accumulating 2 years of fat debt (because let's be real a £10-12k LPC grant is only barely gonna cover my student accommodation if I took the LPC in London)! Definitely makes me question whether or not I would be willing to accept a TC at a firm that pays a first year training salary of £30k considering all of the debt I'll be tallying up from a Masters/gap and LPC year. Plus having to do this all over again if the firm didn't retain me on qualification... gives me shivers!!!!

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Are you going to apply direct? Or do you reckon its too late given that they are rolling?
    I didn't even know that I could after being rejected from the VS! I think I'll think about it, but tbh I don't have much to add since I sent in the app less than a month ago and I haven't really done much since then or changed much so if they didn't like me/my app then, why would they like it now?

Legalregal

Valued Member
    Jan 13, 2021
    I am interested why people apply for certain firms with bad reputations. Seeing the ROF polls for firm culture and management there is always a few firms that score way worse than the rest and in the comments there are horrid accounts of what it is like to work at these firms.

(many US firms are left out but you can guess where some would be)

Since there are so many firms which have an excellent reputation for training trainees as well as a decent culture, why do people apply for the few that seem especially bad? If you did apply for one of those firms that has a bad reputation, why?

Not judgemental- just genuinely curious

SamTam99

Legendary Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Should I email Addleshaw regarding my app? I sent the app for their summer VS on 01/12 and I have not heard anything since
    I wouldn’t bother, I applied on 26/11 for the spring vac and still haven’t heard.

Emailed a few weeks ago and the reply was that they had been overwhelmed with applications (over 2000 this year) and were still making their way through them and that they would try to get back to all candidates ASAP!

Reactions: cryingoverTCs

els124

Distinguished Member
    Sep 26, 2020
    I am interested why people apply for certain firms with bad reputations. Seeing the ROF polls for firm culture and management there is always a few firms that score way worse than the rest and in the comments there are horrid accounts of what it is like to work at these firms.

Since there are so many firms which have an excellent reputation for training trainees as well as a decent culture, why do people apply for the few that seem especially bad? If you did apply for one of those firms that has a bad reputation, why?

Not judgemental- just genuinely curious
    How reputable is ROF though? I've read some articles where they've made some pretty bold statements without backing anything up with evidence or stating their sources so don't think of them as being too reliable

Reactions: Dheepa and SF1234

LawGrad2019

Distinguished Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Hi all. I take it it’s a PFO from Taylor Wessing. Submitted my Arctic shores 17th Jan and haven’t heard a peep since. Ahhhhh!

also, Baker McKenzie summer vac scheme - submitted my VI on 9th Feb and nothing. Anyone else heard back?

Same here for TW!

I've heard some people got calls this week though so I don't know if it's still ongoing :)

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    How reputable is ROF though? I've read some articles where they've made some pretty bold statements without backing anything up with evidence or stating their sources so don't think of them as being too reliable

ROF forums and polls are Reddit for associates and partners who pride themselves on the anonymity to talk about everything. They tend to be fairly accurate.

ROF newsfeeds, on the other hand, come from the rumor mill ... some are bang-on things that firms wouldn't dare to admit themselves, but some are just rumors.

*edit: debevoise 13% rip lol (https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/rollonfriday-firm-year-2021-worst-cultures)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.