2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

summer207

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2021
I had this same thing a month ago when I did an interview for my DREAM firm and messed up a commercial awareness question that I 100% knew the answer to (I just freaked and completely avoided answering it). Went over and over how bad it went for nights afterwards and was so upset. But a month later I'm over it and on to bigger and better things !! (literally just got the feedback call and it didn't get me down). It's shit but it doesn't reflect on your abilities, so don't overthink it and don't think it's the be all and end all. Also people bomb interviews all the time and are successful so don't bank on a PFO yet. But yeah I'm sorry I know it sucks :(
Thank you, very kind of you

Lawstudent1997

Distinguished Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hey guys! Wondering if anyone has heard back from Withers post interview?
No I’m still waiting to hear! When I had my interview I asked when I could expect to hear and since my interview was only in the 2nd week she said it would be at least a few weeks! Mine will be 4 weeks on Thursday so hoping it won’t be too long now😅 when was yours?

archerc22

Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 17, 2019
    No I’m still waiting to hear! When I had my interview I asked when I could expect to hear and since my interview was only in the 2nd week she said it would be at least a few weeks! Mine will be 4 weeks on Thursday so hoping it won’t be too long now😅 when was yours?
    Mine was on the 28th of Jan! I think they're holding every single interview first before coming to a decision 😂 the wait is genuinely awful

KT

Star Member
    Nov 3, 2020
    Someone please HELP!

I have an NRF phone interview V soon loool.

How long do my answers have to be?

Currently 3-5 mins? Is that ok?
    Not sure what others think but I think 5mins is a bit too long if that's for all your answers. I'd say 2-3 mins is more normal. However, it depends on the content too and if you're rambling off on tangents or if it is properly structured.

Good luck!

Reactions: Mick Channon

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    NEIGH NEIGHS IS GOING ON THE JONES DAY VAC SCHEME :eek:

shocked friends GIF

So well deserved! :eek: We've all seen how hard you've been trying!!!

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    I've just finished my Dechert AC today! Pretty shattered lol. It's two back-to-back interviews with a written exercise right before: a proper grind.

Update on my first cycle:

23ish applications,
    3 through to AC,
    2 offers (Skadden and Ashurst)
    And waiting on a bunch of US firms like Cooley and MoFo with fellow US firm hodler @Aun Abbas

I've really enjoyed the interviews and applications at US firms specifically - if nothing comes out of this cycle, am definitely narrowing my strategy down to some delaware-law firms next cycle! :D

If anyone needs advice on Ashurst do PM me, I think I've replied to around 40 people so far for Ashurst and the list keeps getting longer!

*edit: you just need ONE!!!

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Mar 2, 2020
    A firm asked me in a direct TC AC “why commercial law at X” which I wasn’t rlly sure what it was asking so I asked them to rephrase and they just asked why commercial law? So I didn’t actually get a chance to talk about my motivations for the firm throughout the interview so defo panicking 😕

A firm asked me in a direct TC AC “why commercial law at X” which I wasn’t rlly sure what it was asking so I asked them to rephrase and they just asked why commercial law? So I didn’t actually get a chance to talk about my motivations for the firm throughout the interview so defo panicking 😕
    Hey - don't worry about it! It was good that you asked them to reclarify the question, otherwise you might have said something completely irrelevant to what they wanted. Even if you did not get a chance to demonstrate your firm motivation, it sounds like they did not provide much of an opportunity for that (although they did ask that question, they could have followed up if they were more interested in your firm motivation) and were more focused on your career motivation.

I know a candidate who had a similar experience at an MC firm, where she was asked about her career motivations but did not get much of a chance to express her firm motivations. The candidate was really upset afterwards, and thought the interview had gone disastrously as a result...but got the offer! The main takeaway is that you answered the questions you were asked to the best of your ability - if they do not ask you something, it is pretty hard to provide an answer!

So, I know it is a little disconcerting but try to focus on how well the interview went in other regards!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and futuretraineecity
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.