2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    I mean I had a mock interview with them which was immensely helpful. What I don’t know is what, if any, benefit is there to applying for a TC through them. Do you get your application reviewed? Coaching? Is it guaranteed interview? All their page says is “Aspiring Solicitors will be pre-screening and shortlisting Aspiring Solicitors members for a training contract interview ...”
    I’m quoting myself because that’s how cool I am but I think the one advantage might be that the application form is shorter than the actual TC form that the firm requires you to complete. Unless, of course, the remaining questions are asked later in the process.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi guys,

What are the right examples to show your resilience and growth?

I would talk about my weight loss journey that has been one of the hardest things in my life. However, I have been told that this might not be the best example.

Thank you very much:)

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    Hi guys,

I would talk about my weight loss journey that has been one of the hardest things in my life. However, I have been told that this might not be the best example.

I think its a great example as long as you focus on the transferrable skills they are looking for

Reactions: Zay and S87

kls

Distinguished Member
    Jan 11, 2021
    Hi guys,

I think it’s a great example just make sure you can relate what you learnt from it to your role as a solicitor. I have found for resilience questions using non-academic or general personal achievement/growth have done okay and meant that I could show some personality which I think is a good way to go!

Reactions: S87

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I’m quoting myself because that’s how cool I am but I think the one advantage might be that the application form is shorter than the actual TC form that the firm requires you to complete. Unless, of course, the remaining questions are asked later in the process.
    I looked more into this and I think its just a partnership with the firm - defo defo apply.

Reactions: OB and Veep9

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Yeah, that's fine. I just wanted to respond as the multiple 'ahahah' that they couldn't find it seemed slightly uncalled for from my perspective, but I am sure you didn't mean it like that.
    I add "ahahhah" to show I am being light-hearted as text talk can come off bad. I think, if you have seen me from my previous posts, anyone can tell I am not a confrontational/rude person. Thanks tho.

• Love
    Reactions: FM302989 and OB

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi guys,

Generally speaking, I think personal examples are great here and that sounds like one which would be really suitable.

Having been on a similar journey myself (lost about 10st/ 63kg a few years ago), I can definitely attest that it requires a huge amount of resilience. Many congratulations to you for following the journey through too!

I discuss this answer in my interview article accessible via my signature below, this might help you put everything together.

Hope this helps!

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hi guys,

I personally wouldn’t talk about this. I think you risk making the person interviewing you feel quite uncomfortable but I may be biased there as I know if someone did this to me I’d want to crawl into a hole and cry (again very biased). By all means if it seems like the right thing to say for you then do it! I would just consider your interviewers’ own life experiences as this is why I’ve never discussed my own experiences on mental health in an interview. This is just one view and I could be entirely wrong (plz no one come for me)!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I personally wouldn’t talk about this. I think you risk making the person interviewing you feel quite uncomfortable but I may be biased there as I know if someone did this to me I’d want to crawl into a hole and cry (again very biased). By all means if it seems like the right thing to say for you then do it! I would just consider your interviewers’ own life experiences as this is why I’ve never discussed my own experiences on mental health in an interview. This is just one view and I could be entirely wrong (plz no one come for me)!
    This is definitely a really interesting position - and, in all fairness, one that I hadn't really considered giving my initial reply to the comment. While I totally understand where you're coming from - and commend you for being so very considerate of all those involved in the interview process - I would tend to differ slightly. I would say that it's primarily important for the interviewee to focus on using the best examples possible and rely on the professionalism of the interviewer in regards looking objectively at the content of the answers.

An analogous situation might be, for a different question, using the example of having interned for a particular MP etc - this would be a great opportunity to use in interviews for a variety of potential skills; you'd simply have to rely on the professionalism of the interviewer that they didn't let the politics of the given MP for whom the interviewee interned sway their thoughts on the candidate. While I appreciate politics and weight loss/ mental health etc are different, I would personally contest that they're still analogous as objective achievements in spite of subjective feelings on the matter.

Hope this helps :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.