2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Four hour assessment centre for one firm this morning and final partner interview for another firm this afternoon. Is it too early for wine + pajamas?
Tired My Bed GIF by swerk

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    fail empire strikes back GIF by Star Wars
    Okay, I’d like to blame my slight dyslexia/general exhaustion but I’ve just realised that I’ve been calling WBD- Womble Bond Dickson and not DickINson for the entire application process.... I was already waiting for PFO but now I think I’ll just withdraw it hahahaha 🤦🏻‍♀️
    Ngl their whole firm name is a mouthful so don't beat yourself up 😭

• 🤝
    Reactions: collie_121 and Hele25

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Not sure I totally agree with this tbh. Being a candidate who is trying to sell themselves is hard enough without having to think about the potential views/opinions/experiences of the individual reading your application/listening to your answers in an interview so I have no issue with OP's example and am 99% sure that any interviewer would not have an issue with it either.

Personally, I think you have to do what is right for you and say/give the examples that you think will show you in the best light. Otherwise at what point do you draw the line? For instance, if someone worked really hard to represent their country in a sport and then the interviewer/reader previously had a very unfortunate injury which meant they couldn't reach the same heights in their sporting career, should the candidate not include the example out of risk of offending the reader and thus potentially harming the chances of their application/candidacy being progressed? Doesn't seem fair on the candidate at all in my view.

The reactions of other people are completely out of your control and I don't think it's particularly productive second-guessing your examples out of risk of potential offence. Ultimately, people will think what they think regardless of what you intend so I think candidates should give the examples they think are best for them and their circumstances. By focussing on controlling what you can control you will be a much better candidate for it.
    Agree with this - as the question is about you, you should be fine to bring up a personal example without the risk that it will be taken the wrong way. If anything, I think these tough personal stories are often the most compelling at building a rapport because you are being vulnerable with the interviewer. Only anecdotal, but I recall after speaking to one candidate that the interviewer hugged them after hearing their story.

There are a few exceptions I can think of is if you've done something controversial - (e.g. making money in a dodgy way etc.), but aside from that I think you'll be okay.

I would just flag that I am only speaking in the context of an interview, I completely understand why other people might be wary of raising the topic in other contexts.

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: Lawbour, E.A, J32 and 5 others

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Okay, I’d like to blame my slight dyslexia/general exhaustion but I’ve just realised that I’ve been calling WBD- Womble Bond Dickson and not DickINson for the entire application process.... I was already waiting for PFO but now I think I’ll just withdraw it hahahaha 🤦🏻‍♀️
    Send them an email like
    Stupid Name GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020

Ngl their whole firm name is a mouthful so don't beat yourself up 😭

Happy Fun GIF by Latch

ngl i just think of the wombles whenever i see their name (also shook the wombles seem to have gotten a glow up since my childhood)

JoeyTr

Valued Member
  • Jan 4, 2021
    hahahhhahaahahaha I'm laughing because... SAME!

Reactions: Hele25

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    They might not notice. I called Freshfields "Fieldfisher" in my application and got through to the WG. Also, their name is silly anyway - it's always one of my go-to ridiculous law firm names to bring up in general conversation (along with Foot Antsy, Skadden Arps Slate Meagher and Flom (full name only for comedic effect), and Fried Frank).

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I don’t think it would cloud their judgement I think it may just change the tone of the interview. Again relating it back to how I’d personally feel I would be taken by surprise and not know how to respond as it would be an uncomfortable topic for me. This could lead the interview being cut short (not even intentionally) simply because they want to remove themselves from the situation. Interviewers are still human and have emotions. I have wanted to talk about s*xual a*sualt before in an application asking which laws I would change but haven’t because I thought it could potential be triggering for the person reading my application and that would be unfair to them. Again congratulations it is an amazing achievement for the OP, but I would think about the potential implications. Or just say you went on a health journey and not focus on the weight part? I understand quantifying your achievement but you could focus on how many hours you spent doing stuff rather than the weight loss. Again just my opinion but I’ve refrained from ever talking about my own experiences with weight because a) I find it uncomfortable b) I am scared of being judged c) I don’t want to trigger anyone else around me. But we should also move forward to allowing people to be more open about their experiences so there is that side as well. I have interviewed people in the past and just know I wouldnt be expecting that sort of topic and it would just scare me to be honest (wouldn’t judge them at all though)!
    Apologies for the essay that’s all I’m gonna say on this as the weight discussion ain’t for me at all so best of luck!

Despite my comment above, I think this is completely understandable and a fair comment.

Reactions: Legal_rawn

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Happy Fun GIF by Latch

ngl i just think of the wombles whenever i see their name (also shook the wombles seem to have gotten a glow up since my childhood)
    I always think Forest Gump when I see Akin Gump.

They might not notice. I called Freshfields "Fieldfisher" in my application and got through to the WG. Also, their name is silly anyway - it's always one of my go-to ridiculous law firm names to bring up in general conversation (along with Foot Antsy, Skadden Arps Slate Meagher and Flom (full name only for comedic effect), and Fried Frank).
    Don't forget "Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft" and "Fried Frank".

• Haha
    Reactions: Holly and OB

OEO

Star Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    Quick question - for people who have had telephone interviews with MB did they provide a link to a website thing or just call you? I've been told my interview will be over a platform even though it's a telephone interview?

ibs97

Legendary Member
    Jan 20, 2020
    Debevoise PFO 😢
    Anyone know if this is a standard line?
    “Whilst your application was certainly impressive, after careful consideration we regret...”
    also got a PFO from debevoise (expected tbh) but at the end, they said "however, we wanted to write to you personally to say that we were certainly impressed with your application and therefore would encourage you to reapply again next year" ?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.