2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

manifestingaTC

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 5, 2020
    Can you show development since your last application? If no, then my brutal advice is not to bother. If you can though, then you should reapply.
    Hi Jessica, what would your advice be on getting rejected post AC for VS, but having the opportunity to apply for TC within the same cycle? Would I need to change my application? & would it be worth applying again at all? Thanks.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    They might not notice. I called Freshfields "Fieldfisher" in my application and got through to the WG. Also, their name is silly anyway - it's always one of my go-to ridiculous law firm names to bring up in general conversation (along with Foot Antsy, Skadden Arps Slate Meagher and Flom (full name only for comedic effect), and Fried Frank).
    My mum once misspelled Foot Anstey as 'Foot Nasty' 😂

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, what would your advice be on getting rejected post AC for VS, but having the opportunity to apply for TC within the same cycle? Would I need to change my application? & would it be worth applying again at all? Thanks.
    It depends on a couple of factors:

1) how significant was your feedback in terms of development points from the AC

2) do you think you will be a stronger candidate this time around

I always advise to update your application if you are applying again. Even if you haven’t done anything else, the interview process should have helped you learn more about the firm and potentially about yourself and you should reflect that in your application. Obviously, anything historic will be the same, but I would expect your motivations and potentially your skill set to have been refined since your previous application, even if there is only a 4-6 months between applications.

Remember you are applying for two very different roles too, so any motivational answers will need to change to reflect that.

manifestingaTC

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 5, 2020
    It depends on a couple of factors:

1) how significant was your feedback in terms of development points from the AC

2) do you think you will be a stronger candidate this time around

I always advise to update your application if you are applying again. Even if you haven’t done anything else, the interview process should have helped you learn more about the firm and potentially about yourself and you should reflect that in your application. Obviously, anything historic will be the same, but I would expect your motivations and potentially your skill set to have been refined since your previous application, even if there is only a 4-6 months between applications.

Remember you are applying for two very different roles too, so any motivational answers will need to change to reflect that.
    Thank you - that was really insightful.

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    so many people getting news but none for me for days
    season 2 netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.