2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Being asked a question in a case study partner briefing and having no answer.

hide GIF
    I would try not to worry too much mate! I've been asked a number of questions I didn't know the answer to and just had to concede that "I'm afraid I'm not sure on that one" and whilst it feels pretty rubbish at the time, it's much better admitting what you don't know rather than trying to bulls*** your way through an answer.

If you think about it from a client's perspective, if they're paying your firm a lot of money for advice, they want that advice to be precise and well thought out so it's much better to admit when you don't know something and get back to them later with a well-researched answer! Obviously, this isn't possible in an interview, but I've always found that being honest is appreciated by the interviewer and, chances are, they were only asking you that question to push you and see how far they could get you to go which is normally a good thing.

Hope the rest of the case study briefing went well :)

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Thanks so much for sending this message - really thoughtful! Yes it was with a partner and just completely unpredictable, i felt seriously challenged haha and was just impossible to prep for :(

No problem at all! 😊 I know it’s not a nice feeling at all. What matters is that you really did your best!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    just had one of the hardest interviews ever, feeling very deflated :(
    Do not, you have achieved something incredible. I strongly believe that this is not a matter of wrong or right answer. They want to understand the way you think and if you can critically analyse an issue. So relax and watch a bit of trash tv!

• Love
    Reactions: Lawgirl123

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I would try not to worry too much mate! I've been asked a number of questions I didn't know the answer to and just had to concede that "I'm afraid I'm not sure on that one" and whilst it feels pretty rubbish at the time, it's much better admitting what you don't know rather than trying to bulls*** your way through an answer.

If you think about it from a client's perspective, if they're paying your firm a lot of money for advice, they want that advice to be precise and well thought out so it's much better to admit when you don't know something and get back to them later with a well-researched answer! Obviously, this isn't possible in an interview, but I've always found that being honest is appreciated by the interviewer.

Hope the rest of the case study briefing went well :)
    Yeah, I do agree. It's still not pleasant in an interview situation though. 😅

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hey guys! So, this has been my first application cycle and for the past 6 months, much like everyone has, I have been toiling away. In total:

I have applied to 44 firms.
    I have received approx. 37 rejection.
    I have been invited to 4 ACs.
    I have only 7 applications pending.

BUT. None of that really matters anymore. Kirkland & Ellis just got back to me. I've been offered a training contract after an accelerated VS application. It's hard to describe how giddy I am right now. Just want to thank everyone on this forum. You are all lovely people who have been so wonderful, helpful and supportive. Special shout-outs to people who were kind enough to take the time to respond to private messages. If anyone want's advice that I have found to be useful, I am more than happy to answer any questions - just DM me!

For the nerds like myself who want a more detailed breakdown, I did make an excel sheet of my progress this application cycle. It does a good job of illustrating that no matter how much red you see, there is green at the end of the tunnel! Keep well guys, thanks again :)

View attachment 3103

And here was I sitting there smugly thinking my 30 applications was enough. Clearly I have to up my game ;)

Very simple layout - I like it! What does the 'link' do?

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    It takes me to their apply4law, CVmail etc. application site.

Oh fair enough. I just have different tabs: one has all the app questions and my answers; one is quite similar to the one you posted; I have another for work experience and a final one for potential interview questions!

If I am so lucky as to receive a TC this cycle, I will take a leaf out of your book and share mine too!

• Love
    Reactions: Kola

MJ90

Esteemed Member
  • Jan 9, 2020
    Hey Holly! Thank you very much!

Yeh, so... 44 is a pretty daunting number, so I would like to add some context to that. I started applying in October. I had never done a single open day, or insight scheme, or anything...my first year was a bit of a blur, wasn't very motivated, didn't know what I wanted to do meaning that when I started applying - I had zero clue what the correct way to do these things was.

As a result, like any self-respecting moron, I Googled 'most prestigious law firms', made a half-baked CV that looked pretty and colourful, spent an entire 5 hours (wow!) and submitted 4 application to...yes, you guessed it...the Magic Circle 😂 (hence, the rejections). My first month followed this indisputable display of genius, with me rattling of application like a Gatling gun and having the surprised Pikachu face when I ultimately got rejected. This phase accounted for the bulk of the applications that you see at the top of the excel sheet.

Eventually, I realised rejection wasn't very fun, and decided to learn how to do these things properly and I gradually improved over time.

But I suppose a short answer to your question is 'I completed 44 applications by doing 50% of them terribly and with little to no effort'. Hopefully that adds some insightful context.
    Massive congrats Kola! you’ve been pushing for this from the off. Just goes to show what a tough game this is, but worth persevering 🙌🏻

• Love
    Reactions: Kola and Holly

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    Awwww hope you're doing ok!!! Choc and a bottle of day wine is the way through 🤣

Hard interviews don't mean things went bad though!! Maybe they thought you were great and really wanted to push you! Maybe they interrogate everyone and you came out way better than most!!

I think if you have an interview and they DON'T push you it would be more worrying!

Do not, you have achieved something incredible. I strongly believe that this is not a matter of wrong or right answer. They want to understand the way you think and if you can critically analyse an issue. So relax and watch a bit of trash tv!

I know it's cliché but you never really know. I've had interviews where I thought I smashed it - didn't get the job. And I've had interviews where I felt like crying afterwards and did get the offer! Stay positive :)
    Thanks all - really nice messages. Tbh i know i didn't smash it as it threw me off so bad he basically had to tell me the answers :( oh well i'll get over it but think its just so luck based when they ask random questions in interviews rather than having set questions for everyone !!

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Thanks all - really nice messages. Tbh i know i didn't smash it as it threw me off so bad he basically had to tell me the answers :( oh well i'll get over it but think its just so luck based when they ask random questions in interviews rather than having set questions for everyone !!
    You need to take these moments as a huge learning opportunity! It's great you got to this stage - and you are not expected to be perfect and have the answers to all the questions. Keep going.

• Love
    Reactions: Lawgirl123

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
    Oct 20, 2020
    Hey everyone,

I have an interview this Friday for a paralegal role with a private debt manager/creditor provider company- this is an area that I know little about so was wondering if someone could share resources on this. I've got the christopher stoakes book but don't think I'll have time to go through it before Friday- are there any more comprehensive, more succinct resources?

Thanks,

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hey guys! So, this has been my first application cycle and for the past 6 months, much like everyone has, I have been toiling away. In total:

I have applied to 44 firms.
    I have received approx. 37 rejection.
    I have been invited to 4 ACs.
    I have only 7 applications pending.

BUT. None of that really matters anymore. Kirkland & Ellis just got back to me. I've been offered a training contract after an accelerated VS application. It's hard to describe how giddy I am right now. Just want to thank everyone on this forum. You are all lovely people who have been so wonderful, helpful and supportive. Special shout-outs to people who were kind enough to take the time to respond to private messages. If anyone want's advice that I have found to be useful, I am more than happy to answer any questions - just DM me!

For the nerds like myself who want a more detailed breakdown, I did make an excel sheet of my progress this application cycle. It does a good job of illustrating that no matter how much red you see, there is green at the end of the tunnel! Keep well guys, thanks again :)

View attachment 3103
    I just want to say that your spreadsheet looks better than mine.

Also I wanted to ask @Kola is it okay that you can send me a copy of the spreadsheet document I mean if it is okay can I use this template for my applications if you don't mind.

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: Jaysen and Kola
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.