2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Hey guys! So, this has been my first application cycle and for the past 6 months, much like everyone has, I have been toiling away. In total:

I have applied to 44 firms.
I have received approx. 37 rejection.
I have been invited to 4 ACs.
I have only 7 applications pending.

BUT. None of that really matters anymore. Kirkland & Ellis just got back to me. I've been offered a training contract after an accelerated VS application. It's hard to describe how giddy I am right now. Just want to thank everyone on this forum. You are all lovely people who have been so wonderful, helpful and supportive. Special shout-outs to people who were kind enough to take the time to respond to private messages. If anyone want's advice that I have found to be useful, I am more than happy to answer any questions - just DM me!

For the nerds like myself who want a more detailed breakdown, I did make an excel sheet of my progress this application cycle. It does a good job of illustrating that no matter how much red you see, there is green at the end of the tunnel! Keep well guys, thanks again :)

View attachment 3103

Wow!!! Congratulations!!! Amazing incredible work ethic. This has really motivated me, thank you so much for sharing! 😱😍 You have no idea how much I needed to see this!

I was wondering how you managed to complete 44 applications?

Also 4 interviews and 1 offer is a great conversion rate. You have done amazing!!

Congratulations once again! Kirkland are lucky to have you 🥳🥳

• Love
Reactions: Dheepa and Kola

Sebastian Clark

Esteemed Member
May 5, 2020
I had the same reaction. I do not know you but there are days where my brain is fried after an entire day of work!
It’s definitely hard - I tend to go for a run/walk when I finish at around 6:30ish (usually) just to recharge my brain a little bit before the evening application shift, as well as putting in a decent effort over the weekend.

I think I’m going to have to start targeting firms more carefully - which ones like prior professional experience etc just to fully make use of the more limited application time I have

Reactions: OB

unbiasedpotato

Standard Member
Jan 31, 2021
Guys those who applied for Evershed VS did you write exactly 500 words for all of the questions. Also @Jessica Booker for a 500 word answer does it have to be near 500 words like 486 or can we do like 300 or 400 words and still be successful.
I got to the AC and my answers were 487, 395, 469 words. In framing your answers, try to blend the section on their website where they list what they look for, the firm's values and your own experiences

• Love
Reactions: Asil Ahmad

JoeyTr

Valued Member
  • Jan 4, 2021
    Hey guys! So, this has been my first application cycle and for the past 6 months, much like everyone has, I have been toiling away. In total:

BUT. None of that really matters anymore. Kirkland & Ellis just got back to me. I've been offered a training contract after an accelerated VS application. It's hard to describe how giddy I am right now. Just want to thank everyone on this forum. You are all lovely people who have been so wonderful, helpful and supportive. Special shout-outs to people who were kind enough to take the time to respond to private messages. If anyone want's advice that I have found to be useful, I am more than happy to answer any questions - just DM me!

For the nerds like myself who want a more detailed breakdown, I did make an excel sheet of my progress this application cycle. It does a good job of illustrating that no matter how much red you see, there is green at the end of the tunnel! Keep well guys, thanks again :)

View attachment 3103
    congratulations Kola! Very well deserved

• Love
    Reactions: Kola

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020

View attachment 3103
    Oh my goodness. I dont even know you but I could cry tears of joy for you right now! Hard work really does pay off. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. AND WOW CONGRATS ON KIRKLAND!!!! 🤩🤩🤩

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    It’s definitely hard - I tend to go for a run/walk when I finish at around 6:30ish (usually) just to recharge my brain a little bit before the evening application shift, as well as putting in a decent effort over the weekend.

I think I’m going to have to start targeting firms more carefully - which ones like prior professional experience etc just to fully make use of the more limited application time I have
    I hear you, I exercise at least 3 times per week, but I cannot leave the house often as I have a weaker immune system.
    From next week, however, back on track with direct TC app.

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Wow!!! Congratulations!!! Amazing incredible work ethic. This has really motivated me, thank you so much for sharing! 😱😍 You have no idea how much I needed to see this!

I was wondering how you managed to complete 44 applications?

Also 4 interviews and 1 offer is a great conversion rate. You have done amazing!!

Congratulations once again! Kirkland are lucky to have you 🥳🥳

Hey Holly! Thank you very much!

Yeh, so... 44 is a pretty daunting number, so I would like to add some context to that. I started applying in October. I had never done a single open day, or insight scheme, or anything...my first year was a bit of a blur, wasn't very motivated, didn't know what I wanted to do meaning that when I started applying - I had zero clue what the correct way to do these things was.

As a result, like any self-respecting moron, I Googled 'most prestigious law firms', made a half-baked CV that looked pretty and colourful, spent an entire 5 hours (wow!) and submitted 4 application to...yes, you guessed it...the Magic Circle 😂 (hence, the rejections). My first month followed this indisputable display of genius, with me rattling of application like a Gatling gun and having the surprised Pikachu face when I ultimately got rejected. This phase accounted for the bulk of the applications that you see at the top of the excel sheet.

Eventually, I realised rejection wasn't very fun, and decided to learn how to do these things properly and I gradually improved over time.

But I suppose a short answer to your question is 'I completed 44 applications by doing 50% of them terribly and with little to no effort'. Hopefully that adds some insightful context.

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Hey Holly! Thank you very much!

Yeh, so... 44 is a pretty daunting number, so I would like to add some context to that. I started applying in October. I had never done a single open day, or insight scheme, or anything...my first year was a bit of a blur, wasn't very motivated, didn't know what I wanted to do meaning that when I started applying - I had zero clue what the correct way to do these things was.

As a result, like any self-respecting moron, I Googled 'most prestigious law firms', made a half-baked CV that looked pretty and colourful, spent an entire 5 hours (wow!) and submitted 4 application to...yes, you guessed it...the Magic Circle 😂 (hence, the rejections). My first month followed this indisputable display of genius, with me rattling of application like a Gatling gun and having the surprised Pikachu face when I ultimately got rejected. This phase accounted for the bulk of the applications that you see at the top of the excel sheet.

Eventually, I realised rejection wasn't very fun, and decided to learn how to do these things properly and I gradually improved over time.

But I suppose a short answer to your question is 'I completed 44 applications by doing 50% of them terribly and with little to no effort'. Hopefully that adds some insightful context.

This helps a lot, thank you!! I’m glad it worked out for you 😍😍😍

• Love

EV

Standard Member
    May 3, 2020
    Guys those who applied for Evershed VS did you write exactly 500 words for all of the questions. Also @Jessica Booker for a 500 word answer does it have to be near 500 words like 486 or can we do like 300 or 400 words and still be successful.
    When I attended an Eversheds Open Day Grad Rec encouraged applicants to use the full word count for each question

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    just had one of the hardest interviews ever, feeling very deflated :(
    Hey! Sorry to hear. I’d recommending napping if you’re feeling exhausted or going for a walk if you need a distraction!

Was this a partner/HR interview? If it helps, I often find that when an interviewer asks hard questions it’s because they want to challenge me and see how i think on my feet.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you either way. Best of luck and well done on securing the interview in the first place!!!

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    Hey! Sorry to hear. I’d recommending napping if you’re feeling exhausted or going for a walk if you need a distraction!

Was this a partner/HR interview? If it helps, I often find that when an interviewer asks hard questions it’s because they want to challenge me and see how i think on my feet.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you either way. Best of luck and well done on securing the interview in the first place!!!
    Thanks so much for sending this message - really thoughtful! Yes it was with a partner and just completely unpredictable, i felt seriously challenged haha and was just impossible to prep for :(

• 🤝
    Reactions: Holly

J32

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 4, 2019

View attachment 3103

This is incredible news, congratulations @Kola! Hope you celebrate at least for the rest of the week ;)

P.S. loveeee the spreadsheet

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020

View attachment 3103

This makes me SO HAPPY you are such a champion!!!!! I can't even imagine the work that went into this, you have worked so bloody hard and I am so glad it has paid off for you. The determination in this just shows what a brilliant lawyer you will be, truly inspiring!!!

And Kirkland too, wow!!! It doesn't get better than that!!! But they are super lucky to have YOU. That's what this proves!!! Good on Kirkland for figuring it out!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

View attachment 3103
    Huge congrats my friend! Absolutely brilliant news - hope you're able to celebrate as you have more than earned it!!! :D

Edit: as others have said, the spreadsheet is outstanding work 👏👏👏

• Love

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    just had one of the hardest interviews ever, feeling very deflated :(

Awwww hope you're doing ok!!! Choc and a bottle of day wine is the way through 🤣

Hard interviews don't mean things went bad though!! Maybe they thought you were great and really wanted to push you! Maybe they interrogate everyone and you came out way better than most!!

I think if you have an interview and they DON'T push you it would be more worrying!

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Being asked a question in a case study partner briefing and having no answer.

hide GIF

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.