2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Yes, it is!!!! I thought the same thing as it's tough from a logistic perspective given the lockdown date but here's hoping. It could very well be strategic!
Yeah, that is strange! I did the AC for DLA too - I thought I heard them mention that they weren't doing the full three weeks if it's virtual (or maybe that they didn't do three weeks last year?). From what I understood, the first week of their scheme is more of a social/networking week, with teambuilding exercises in & around London.

Reactions: cmaj

JayC

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 8, 2021
Usually I'm sympathetic on stuff like this (when law firms have a lot of power), but in this case I think it's very reasonable for a law firm not to want their future employees to be doing vacation schemes with rival law firms.

It's different if you haven't accepted their TC offer though.
What about vac schemes that are just for work experience and don’t offer TCs at the end of them? If it’s not part of a firms TC recruitment process then is it ok?

Also do firms talk to each other - if you didn’t reveal the fact you had accepted a TC offer and did a vac scheme with a different firm, is there a chance they both find out and disqualify you from both? I know that firms do this kind of thing in the US

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    What about vac schemes that are just for work experience and don’t offer TCs at the end of them? If it’s not part of a firms TC recruitment process then is it ok?

Also do firms talk to each other - if you didn’t reveal the fact you had accepted a TC offer and did a vac scheme with a different firm, is there a chance they both find out and disqualify you from both? I know that firms do this kind of thing in the US

1. I don't see a problem with this.
    2. I think this is extremely unlikely. Sometimes grad recruitment move around, but they have better things to talk about. If anyone is in a position to go ahead with this, I just wouldn't go around shouting about it.

Reactions: JayC

LawGrad2019

Distinguished Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Does anyone know how Taylor Wessing usually does it?

I was called with a rejection a few weeks after my AC last year. They give feedback there and then if you're comfortable. I figured it was a no prior to this though, as I knew someone on my AC who was called with an offer soon after the AC itself :)

Not to say it's the same for everyone or across different years, though!

Reactions: M&M

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Massive apologies as I am aware this has been spoken about recently. I received two vac scheme offers yesterday & OVER THE MOON (calls came through legit at the same time hahaha what are the odds)..

But of course the dates clash. I plan on asking one of the firms if alternative dates are available (one of them I know can't change the dates as its like a set time), what I want to know is the best way to go about this... as in the best way to word it haha. Then if they can't change it what should my plan be, I know @Jessica Booker recommends asking to be considered for a TC but should I include that in my original email asking to change dates or only if they respond saying they can't change the dates? If anyone has a recommending wording of this or has done it before please let me know!
    Just explain your situation to them (over the phone if you can!). Firms will be very aware that candidates have multiple vacation schemes so just explain the clash and politely ask if it's possible to be moved to another scheme? If they say no, then I'd ask to be considered for a direct TC but definitely ask to switch schemes first - it happens very often!

PS: massive congratulations! Hope you're able to celebrate in the sunshine :D

Last edited:
    Reactions: hscd21

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Reluctant to post this as don't want to appear tone deaf or anything. I was given a TC offer last week, from my first choice firm. However, I have also accepted a VAC scheme elsewhere. There is no doubt in my mind I will be accepting the TC, but I want to be able to do the VAC scheme, not least because I have very little legal experience (and in the event my TC offer falls through for whatever reason, I want at least something on my CV) and also because, in all honesty, I could do with the money.

Is this acceptable, or should I inform the VAC firm that I won't be able to attend this summer. I haven't received my TC contract yet so don't know if I'd be allowed to accept a VAC elsewhere. @Jessica Booker perhaps you could advise?

P.S. To those reading this who haven't been as lucky: Yes, I say lucky, as luck is such an enormous part of this process, and I think that is often overlooked. I was incredibly down a couple of weeks ago with numerous rejections (24 to be precise) at various stages. Sidenote - I firmly believe it is a numbers game. But, as many have said prior to me, you only need one offer. Keep going, trust the process and you will get there. Best of luck to everyone.
    Huge congrats! When you say you will be accepting, what's the deadline on the offer? Because there's nothing wrong imo with delaying your acceptance till you've done the other VS as that way you're keeping your options open and who knows the VS might blow you away!

Obviously though, if you have accepted and have no intention of doing a TC at the other firm regardless of the scheme, then I'd be inclined to withdraw tbh

Last edited:

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    A purely hypothetical scenario/question relating to this: if a firm offered a TC following an Easter scheme, and I had vac schemes secured for summer (with firms I preferred), would it be better to ask for some kind of extension? Or to accept and then renege, if successful with one of the preferred firms?
    Much better to ask for an extension mate as technically a condition of your offer letter would be to withdraw from the processes of other firms. Obviously if that condition isn't there then you technically could accept and renege but much better to ask for an extension first, especially if you explain the circumstances of your situation

Reactions: Andrew M

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Willkie Summer Vac Scheme!! (I will inform my relatives that there can be no family emergencies in late June, jk 🤣)

Edit: It was such a challenging interview I really was not confident - we really should try not to make assumptions post-interview, although there is no harm in managing expectations I guess :)

Last edited:
    D

Deleted member 8227

Out of curiosity, do people recommend only applying to around 10 firms that you really love or trying to apply to like 25+ ? I'm trying to plan ahead for next cycle

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Out of curiosity, do people recommend only applying to around 10 firms that you really love or trying to apply to like 25+ ? I'm trying to plan ahead for next cycle
    I personally think 25+ but only if you can afford to do them to a pretty high standard (its likely that your app technique will also improve the more you write) . Like everyone says it really is a numbers game :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.